Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 72313 times)

Offline Bynaus

• Dreamer, Scientist, Teacher, Writer, Husband & Dad
  • Switzerland
    • Final-Frontier.ch
  • Liked: 364
  • Likes Given: 252
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #340 on: 09/10/2018 09:48 AM »
An explanation on YouTube of the decisions made on Discovery and the new Picard series:

What a horrible mess... They should just collapse the whole post-Nemesis-crap into a transdimensional black hole of shame and never speak of it again. Then, start from scratch with Prime - and Prime only. The Picard series could (should!) be the beginning of that.
More of my thoughts: www.final-frontier.ch (in German)

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 135
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #341 on: 09/10/2018 02:02 PM »
I see some have been touting Joshua Jackson to replace Chris Pine as Kirk.

Jackson was one of the main contenders for the role in 2008 (he got Fringe instead). But I really think this is all just contract negotiation and Pine will probably sign on for both Star Trek 14 and Star Trek 15 (the Tarantino movie) when all is said and done.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 3771
  • Likes Given: 2305
« Reply #342 on: 09/10/2018 10:16 PM »
An explanation on YouTube of the decisions made on Discovery and the new Picard series:

Ah yes the great conspiracy to kill Star Trek.  ::) The video makes some interesting points, but it is all too steeped in "CBS hates fans" and other bizarre theorizing.

At this point adherence to Star Trek canon (specifically Star Trek 'prime') is what put Star Trek where it is now, running it into the ground. An ever shrinking fan base that cares more about canon than story and character is not what you can build something new on. The course correction for Star Trek should have happened 15-20 years ago. Any Star Trek set in the post-Nemesis universe if fundamentally uninteresting, since the baggage of canon and ever increasing God level technology makes dramatic storytelling a far more difficult thing to accomplish.

Star Trek Discovery sure isn't perfect - FAR from it - but at least it is trying something new. Sadly trying to tie it closer to canon in season 2 (Enterprise! Captain Pike!) is not what the show needs.
« Last Edit: 09/10/2018 10:18 PM by Lars-J »

Offline faramund

• Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #343 on: 09/18/2018 10:18 AM »
There's a guy at my work who thinks the only way Discovery makes sense, is to say its a simulation on a holodeck. I think that's simplistic and a cop-out, but I don't see any other way to explain its connection with the rest of the previously stated Star Trek universe.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 3771
  • Likes Given: 2305
« Reply #344 on: 09/18/2018 10:03 PM »
There's a guy at my work who thinks the only way Discovery makes sense, is to say its a simulation on a holodeck. I think that's simplistic and a cop-out, but I don't see any other way to explain its connection with the rest of the previously stated Star Trek universe.

Your friend overthinks it. It is just a dramatic show that is a bit different than previous treks. It stands on its own just like the previous shows did. They have all had issues with continuity with previous shows, this grand "star trek universe" primarily exists in the minds of its fans.

Just think of it as a different take on Star Trek. Similar ingredients, different outcome. That a fanbase which is so in tune with the possibilities of parallel realities/universes cannot accept this blows my mind.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1858
  • Likes Given: 183
Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #345 on: 10/07/2018 08:56 PM »
New season two trailer. Looks like there has been some revamps since season one.

« Last Edit: 10/07/2018 08:57 PM by Star One »

Offline bad_astra

• Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 311
« Reply #346 on: 11/08/2018 06:10 PM »
"Short Trek" episode Calypso is on tonight after 9pm Eastern.
"Contact Light" -Buzz Aldrin

Tags: