Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 68808 times)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1757
  • Likes Given: 183
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #320 on: 02/21/2018 07:20 PM »
CBS Chief Tells Investors ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Is “Runaway Success” + More Viacom Merger Buzz

Speaking specifically about All Access, Moonves talked about how the growth was driven by Star Trek, saying:

2017 was a breakout year for CBS All Access. We doubled our subs year over year and we kicked off our best month ever in January. We are driving this growth first and foremost with our content. This includes our big events like the NFL and the Grammys, more than 10,000 episodes of current and library programming, and our original series programming, lead by Star Trek: Discovery, which was obviously a runaway success.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/02/15/cbs-chief-tells-investors-star-trek-discovery-is-runaway-success-more-viacom-merger-buzz/

Now if they could only us that money to build a better Apple TV app that doesn't lose track of where you stopped last and jumble the episode order.

I'll be back for Season 2, but then I might subscribe to it as part of Amazon Prime Video (you can add CBS as an add-on, just like HBO) instead, their app is much better.

Do you think those outside of the US who get it through Netflix are getting a better deal?

Online Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 3516
  • Likes Given: 2174
« Reply #321 on: 02/21/2018 07:37 PM »

Now if they could only us that money to build a better Apple TV app that doesn't lose track of where you stopped last and jumble the episode order.

I'll be back for Season 2, but then I might subscribe to it as part of Amazon Prime Video (you can add CBS as an add-on, just like HBO) instead, their app is much better.

Do you think those outside of the US who get it through Netflix are getting a better deal?

If they already subscribe to Netflix, of course. (And Netflix has a better user experience) Here in the US we had to subscribe to CBS all access, an extra $6 per month, to see Star Trek Discovery.
« Last Edit: 02/21/2018 07:37 PM by Lars-J »

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #322 on: 02/21/2018 07:39 PM »

If they already subscribe to Netflix, of course. (And Netflix has a better user experience) Here in the US we had to subscribe to CBS all access, an extra $6 per month, to see Star Trek Discovery.

I can understand the logic from the CBS perspective but I can also understand the annoyance of the US viewer. Hence why they have green lit more shows to support it.

Online Bynaus

• Planetary Scientist
  • Switzerland
  • Liked: 337
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #323 on: 03/06/2018 06:04 AM »
~~~~Spoilers, obviously~~~~

I've finally found the time to (binge) watch DSC and I have to say - I like it. It really has been growing on me since the first episode. I like the story arcs, the Federation ship designs and uniforms, the development of the main characters, the twists and turns, and the return to "we are starfleet" values. And with Lorca being from the Mirror Universe, things make sense again. Still, there are some things I still don't like:

1) The "new" Klingons. Is there any in-universe way that could plausibly explain why they look different, talk different, behave different, and have these terribly ugly ships than at later (and earlier!) times? Are the "humanized" Klingons of other times the product of intermingling with humans, and the base for all this "remain Klingon!" stuff? I don't know. But I feel that this is the single largest stupidity of Discovery.

2) While I think its cool to have a "displacement drive" - really, spores? And why would someone like, say, Janeway not use it at later times (even if there are ethical issues) to bring her crew home?

3) I feel that apart from the "core" characters Burnham, Tyler, Tilly, Saru, Lorca (plus Georgiou), we don't really know the (bridge) crew and I am a bit surprised that no effort has been made so far to introduce them better (e.g., bring them on a landing party etc.).

4) Finally, I felt that the end of the war was too quick, too easy, that just felt like very lazy writing. Once they gave L'Rell the detonator for the device, why would that allow her to unite the Klingons (the easiest solution for, say, a head of a powerful house would be to just shoot her on the spot and be done with it, right? What if someone wanted to unite humanity the same way today? Would we all just hail the new emperor?) - and what would stop her, or them, from finishing the Federation while they still can? Why let your enemy, who just got a technology (the cloak-breaking algorithm) that destroys your strongest tactical advantage get back on their feet?

Offline Davp99

• Fall River, MA
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 253
« Reply #324 on: 03/06/2018 01:35 PM »
CBS = Commercials Broadcasted non-Stop
You Only Live Twice

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #325 on: 06/15/2018 10:09 PM »
Discovery showrunners Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts have been fired

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-discovery-showrunners-alex-kurtzman-take-1120416

Offline Ike17055

• Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #326 on: 07/20/2018 09:49 PM »
Sad that they felt they should lock it away behind the All Access paywall. I cannot see paying yet another streaming service for something that does not at least appear to be real “trek.”  Would be nice to try it, but not with a subscription.  I am happy for those who like it, but for now I am keeping my TOS and Star Trek Continues disks nearby when I hunger for some familiar Trek universe.

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2015
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #327 on: 07/21/2018 02:12 AM »
Rebecca Romijn ✔ @RebeccaRomijn
Just call me "Number One!" Honored to play such an iconic character in #StarTrek Canon originally played by the First Lady of Star Trek, Majel Barrett-Roddeberry! #StarTrekDiscovery
5:30 PM - Jul 20, 2018

https://twitter.com/RebeccaRomijn/status/1020420798404689920?s=19
DM

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2898
« Reply #328 on: 07/21/2018 04:00 AM »
Sad that they felt they should lock it away behind the All Access paywall. I cannot see paying yet another streaming service for something that does not at least appear to be real “trek.”  Would be nice to try it, but not with a subscription.  I am happy for those who like it, but for now I am keeping my TOS and Star Trek Continues disks nearby when I hunger for some familiar Trek universe.

You know, people keep complaining like this and it's an old and tired and totally empty argument. For one thing, you can SIGN UP FOR A FREE WEEK and just binge watch the whole show and cancel your subscription. Free television. Or you could sign up for a month, pay a measly $7, and watch it at a more leisurely pace. I don't get why people make a big deal out of paying less money than you would pay for a decent sandwich to get about 10 hours of Star Trek. You wanna watch, then watch. But complaining that you have to pay for something that cost the company hundreds of millions of dollars to make is a lame argument.
« Last Edit: 07/21/2018 04:01 AM by Blackstar »

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran

Online Eric Hedman

• Liked: 288
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #330 on: 07/21/2018 08:49 PM »
https://io9.gizmodo.com/in-the-first-trailer-for-star-trek-discovery-season-2-1827669572
I only watched the first episode of season one when it was broadcast on CBS.  It was just dumb.  I didn't bother to look at any more episodes because the first episode killed any interest I had.  This trailer actually looks good.  New show runners might have fixed the issues I had with the episode I watched.  I just might get CBS's All Access when season 2 becomes available.

Online nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 456
  • Likes Given: 212
« Reply #331 on: 07/21/2018 08:54 PM »
https://io9.gizmodo.com/in-the-first-trailer-for-star-trek-discovery-season-2-1827669572
I only watched the first episode of season one when it was broadcast on CBS.  It was just dumb.  I didn't bother to look at any more episodes because the first episode killed any interest I had.  This trailer actually looks good.  New show runners might have fixed the issues I had with the episode I watched.  I just might get CBS's All Access when season 2 becomes available.

It got better, but it's no expanse.

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 129
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #332 on: 07/21/2018 09:50 PM »

The first two episodes (essentially a two-part pilot) were very different than what followed. The titular USS Discovery on which the show is set, did not even appear until Episode 3. The second half of the season takes a major storytelling turn.

It still isn't everybody's cup of tea, of course. They play far too fast and loose with Star Trek canon than I'd have liked. But it is an interesting show with good production values and generally good acting.

By the way, lots of rumors and hints of further new Star Trek series coming down the pike (no pun intended.) CBS evidently wants to fill the gaps between seasons of Discovery so that subscribers will keep paying for the All Access service. One of the new series is evidently a Starfleet Academy series from the creators of "Gossip Girl". Another might be a limited series featuring Patrick Stewart's return as Jean-Luc Picard. A third is reported to be an animated Star Trek series, and there has been talk of a "Khan" series from Nicholas Meyer (Star Trek II, IV, and VI).

Offline MickQ

• Australia.
  • Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #333 on: 07/24/2018 04:06 AM »

I find this to be the case with all the different Star Trek series.  It takes an episode or three to get into stride and find it's feet, so to speak, then things pick up and are worth watching.

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 345
  • Likes Given: 398
« Reply #334 on: 07/25/2018 09:12 PM »

You know, people keep complaining like this and it's an old and tired and totally empty argument. For one thing, you can SIGN UP FOR A FREE WEEK and just binge watch the whole show and cancel your subscription. Free television. Or you could sign up for a month, pay a measly $7, and watch it at a more leisurely pace. I don't get why people make a big deal out of paying less money than you would pay for a decent sandwich to get about 10 hours of Star Trek. You wanna watch, then watch. But complaining that you have to pay for something that cost the company hundreds of millions of dollars to make is a lame argument.

Last I checked, all the old Star Treks series as well, even the Animated series.

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 129
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #335 on: 08/06/2018 12:35 AM »
For those who did not want to pay for CBS All Access to watch Star Trek: Discovery, or lived in areas where streaming isn't practical, CBS Home Entertainment today announced that the show will be available on DVD and Blu-Ray in the United States on November 13.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #336 on: 08/30/2018 02:02 PM »

Online Eric Hedman

• Liked: 288
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #337 on: 09/10/2018 12:46 AM »
An explanation on YouTube of the decisions made on Discovery and the new Picard series:

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #338 on: 09/10/2018 06:39 AM »
I see some have been touting Joshua Jackson to replace Chris Pine as Kirk.

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 577
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #339 on: 09/10/2018 09:31 AM »
"CBS Corporation announced on Sunday that chairman and CEO Leslie Moonves is departing the company, effective immediately. "

Lets hope it is not too late for someone with any clue to rescue Star Trek on TV/Streaming from the current trainwreck generated by stupid beancounters and their IP/licensing deals.

Tags: