Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 63957 times)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1649
  • Likes Given: 183
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #320 on: 02/21/2018 07:20 PM »
CBS Chief Tells Investors ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Is “Runaway Success” + More Viacom Merger Buzz

Speaking specifically about All Access, Moonves talked about how the growth was driven by Star Trek, saying:

2017 was a breakout year for CBS All Access. We doubled our subs year over year and we kicked off our best month ever in January. We are driving this growth first and foremost with our content. This includes our big events like the NFL and the Grammys, more than 10,000 episodes of current and library programming, and our original series programming, lead by Star Trek: Discovery, which was obviously a runaway success.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/02/15/cbs-chief-tells-investors-star-trek-discovery-is-runaway-success-more-viacom-merger-buzz/

Now if they could only us that money to build a better Apple TV app that doesn't lose track of where you stopped last and jumble the episode order.

I'll be back for Season 2, but then I might subscribe to it as part of Amazon Prime Video (you can add CBS as an add-on, just like HBO) instead, their app is much better.

Do you think those outside of the US who get it through Netflix are getting a better deal?

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 3329
  • Likes Given: 2092
« Reply #321 on: 02/21/2018 07:37 PM »

Now if they could only us that money to build a better Apple TV app that doesn't lose track of where you stopped last and jumble the episode order.

I'll be back for Season 2, but then I might subscribe to it as part of Amazon Prime Video (you can add CBS as an add-on, just like HBO) instead, their app is much better.

Do you think those outside of the US who get it through Netflix are getting a better deal?

If they already subscribe to Netflix, of course. (And Netflix has a better user experience) Here in the US we had to subscribe to CBS all access, an extra $6 per month, to see Star Trek Discovery.
« Last Edit: 02/21/2018 07:37 PM by Lars-J »

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #322 on: 02/21/2018 07:39 PM »

If they already subscribe to Netflix, of course. (And Netflix has a better user experience) Here in the US we had to subscribe to CBS all access, an extra $6 per month, to see Star Trek Discovery.

I can understand the logic from the CBS perspective but I can also understand the annoyance of the US viewer. Hence why they have green lit more shows to support it.

Offline Bynaus

• Planetary Scientist
  • Switzerland
  • Liked: 308
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #323 on: 03/06/2018 06:04 AM »
~~~~Spoilers, obviously~~~~

I've finally found the time to (binge) watch DSC and I have to say - I like it. It really has been growing on me since the first episode. I like the story arcs, the Federation ship designs and uniforms, the development of the main characters, the twists and turns, and the return to "we are starfleet" values. And with Lorca being from the Mirror Universe, things make sense again. Still, there are some things I still don't like:

1) The "new" Klingons. Is there any in-universe way that could plausibly explain why they look different, talk different, behave different, and have these terribly ugly ships than at later (and earlier!) times? Are the "humanized" Klingons of other times the product of intermingling with humans, and the base for all this "remain Klingon!" stuff? I don't know. But I feel that this is the single largest stupidity of Discovery.

2) While I think its cool to have a "displacement drive" - really, spores? And why would someone like, say, Janeway not use it at later times (even if there are ethical issues) to bring her crew home?

3) I feel that apart from the "core" characters Burnham, Tyler, Tilly, Saru, Lorca (plus Georgiou), we don't really know the (bridge) crew and I am a bit surprised that no effort has been made so far to introduce them better (e.g., bring them on a landing party etc.).

4) Finally, I felt that the end of the war was too quick, too easy, that just felt like very lazy writing. Once they gave L'Rell the detonator for the device, why would that allow her to unite the Klingons (the easiest solution for, say, a head of a powerful house would be to just shoot her on the spot and be done with it, right? What if someone wanted to unite humanity the same way today? Would we all just hail the new emperor?) - and what would stop her, or them, from finishing the Federation while they still can? Why let your enemy, who just got a technology (the cloak-breaking algorithm) that destroys your strongest tactical advantage get back on their feet?

Offline Davp99

• Fall River, MA
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 251
« Reply #324 on: 03/06/2018 01:35 PM »
CBS = Commercials Broadcasted non-Stop
You Only Live Twice

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #325 on: 06/15/2018 10:09 PM »
Discovery showrunners Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts have been fired

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-discovery-showrunners-alex-kurtzman-take-1120416

Tags: