Author Topic: Virgin Orbit preparing for busy LauncherOne future  (Read 111805 times)

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 8386
  • Likes Given: 2843

• UK
    • Plan 28

Offline Kryten

• Liked: 280
  • Likes Given: 27
Re: Virgin Orbit preparing for busy LauncherOne future
« Reply #362 on: 02/24/2019 10:47 am »
 The FCC STA for the LauncherOne drop test, 2150-EX-ST-201, has been approved.
To turn the S-Band Transmitter ON at the requested Airports for RF checkouts and Airspaces for Captive Carry and Drop Test. The purpose of the experiment is, 1. Receive Telemetry data from Launcher One S-Band Transmitter during Launcher One drop test (Drop test rocket will not be fueled or powered). 2.Test the RF link between Launcher One S-Band telemetry transmitter and 747 aircraft S-Band receiver and receive only Long Beach Ground Station. Virgin Orbit has coordinated and shared application details with the DoD Western Area Frequency Coordinator and NTIA.
« Last Edit: 02/24/2019 01:04 pm by Kryten »

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #363 on: 02/28/2019 10:40 pm »
https://twitter.com/KevZag/status/1101262350747807744

You never really appreciate the amount of infrastructure that goes into a rocket launch until you need to put it all on wheels... Here's some shots of our awesome payload integration trailer from a test run last week.

Offline PM3

• Germany
  • Liked: 192
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #364 on: 03/10/2019 06:58 pm »
ELaNa XX
Date:  June 1, 2019
Mission:  Virgin Orbit Flight 2 LauncherOne – Mojave, California
11 CubeSat Missions scheduled to be deployed

* CACTUS-1 – Capitol Technology University, Laurel, Maryland
* CAPE-3 – University of Louisiana Lafayette, Louisiana
* EXOCUBE-2 – California Polytechnic University, San Louis Obispo, California
* INCA – New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico
* MicroMas-2b – Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Lexington, Massachusetts
* MiTEE – University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
* PICS – Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
* PolarCube – University of Colorado at Boulder, Boulder, Colorado
* Q-PACE – University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida
* RadFXSat-2 – Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee
* TechEdSat-7 – NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett, California

https://www.nasa.gov/content/upcoming-elana-cubesat-launches

Offline libra

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #365 on: 03/17/2019 03:23 pm »
I have a simple question about air-launch.

A lot of air-launch rocket projects were/are solid-fuel, not liquid, because of the risk of propellant slosh. Is it an issue for LauncherOne ?
the rocket is not that big, still, twenty tons of liquid oxygen and kerosene must be a little shaken when the 747 drops the rocket...

Stratolaunch (currently vaporware) rocket could be ten times heavy at 250 mt. I suppose that propellant slosh would be a major issue, at such size ? early concepts were solid-fuel, although there rumour about a Falcon 5... same propellants as LauncherOne, LOX/kerosene.

I'm a little confused.
« Last Edit: 03/17/2019 03:24 pm by libra »

Offline HMXHMX

• Liked: 1660
  • Likes Given: 433
« Reply #366 on: 03/17/2019 04:05 pm »

A lot of air-launch rocket projects were/are solid-fuel, not liquid, because of the risk of propellant slosh. Is it an issue for LauncherOne ?
the rocket is not that big, still, twenty tons of liquid oxygen and kerosene must be a little shaken when the 747 drops the rocket...

Stratolaunch (currently vaporware) rocket could be ten times heavy at 250 mt. I suppose that propellant slosh would be a major issue, at such size ? early concepts were solid-fuel, although there rumour about a Falcon 5... same propellants as LauncherOne, LOX/kerosene.

I'm a little confused.

We addressed the slosh issue at AirLaunch a dozen years go – since the tanks are essentially full at drop, slosh really doesn't happen.  Every vehicle is different, however, and I don't know how VG directly address topping and final fill.  In simulations we dropped fully topped off with essentially no ullage.

Offline Gliderflyer

« Reply #367 on: 03/17/2019 05:24 pm »

I'm a little confused.

We addressed the slosh issue at AirLaunch a dozen years go – since the tanks are essentially full at drop, slosh really doesn't happen.  Every vehicle is different, however, and I don't know how VG directly address topping and final fill.  In simulations we dropped fully topped off with essentially no ullage.

They don't currently have propellant fill capability between the 747 and LauncherOne. They subcool the LOX prior to loading on the ground to help control the boiloff. I don't know what ullage level they are using.
I tried it at home

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 476
  • Likes Given: 345
« Reply #368 on: 03/17/2019 09:55 pm »

They don't currently have propellant fill capability between the 747 and LauncherOne. They subcool the LOX prior to loading on the ground to help control the boiloff. I don't know what ullage level they are using.

I (for one) do wonder how that's going to work out for them in the longer term if they want to get maximum performance out of the rocket because boiloff is sure to put some pressure on both ground and flight crews to launch ASAP after departing the ramp.  Presumably, for the sake of simplicity, they're happy to put up with some loss for now because on-board refrigeration systems are heavy and plumbing and control systems complex.. but I do think we'll see them do something about it sooner or later.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 3988
  • Likes Given: 2259
« Reply #369 on: 03/17/2019 11:07 pm »
PAN A/B cubesats, 45 degree inclination from KSC NET May 1 (as of Dec. 2018).

2127-EX-ST-2018 (Cornell University filing for PAN)
0415-EX-ST-2019 (Iridium comms)

Offline libra

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #370 on: 03/18/2019 05:09 pm »
Thank you all !

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #371 on: 03/18/2019 05:49 pm »
https://twitter.com/virgin_orbit/status/1107713439206563840

LauncherOne's first stage lit up our Mojave test site on Friday for the first hot-fire in our final series of full-scale, integrated system tests.

Offline PM3

• Germany
  • Liked: 192
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #372 on: 03/19/2019 02:10 pm »
PAN A/B cubesats, 45 degree inclination from KSC NET May 1 (as of Dec. 2018).

2127-EX-ST-2018 (Cornell University filing for PAN)
0415-EX-ST-2019 (Iridium comms)

According to https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_chr/lau2019.htm, these will launch on the STP-27VP mission with MiniCarb. Scheduled for end of May according to your post #351 above (as of Feb 7, 2019).

In the US Launch Schedule it currently is listed as NET Q3 2019. Was moved from Q2 to Q3 due to this:

https://spacenews.com/small-launch-vehicle-companies-see-rideshare-as-an-opportunity-and-a-threat/
Virgin Orbit’s Hart said he expects to begin commercial LauncherOne operations in the middle of this year, with launches following initially every two to three months before ramping up its launch rate.
« Last Edit: 03/19/2019 02:23 pm by PM3 »

Tags: