Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon-9 - Thaicom-8 - May 27, 2016 - DISCUSSION  (Read 228739 times)

Offline sevenperforce

• Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 267
Re: SpaceX Falcon-9 - Thaicom-8 - May 27, 2016 - DISCUSSION
« Reply #20 on: 05/09/2016 07:14 pm »
Mass spent on thermal protection generally gets much better returns than mass spent on retropropulsion propellent.

Still, the JCSAT-14 stage doesn't look overly toasted in the pictures, and we know the SES-9 stage survived a hotter reentry in one piece before running out of prop.
We assume SES-9 survived a hotter re-entry in one piece, but all we really know for sure is that it still had enough pieces left to keep its engines firing.

If the JCSAT return stage ends up having more thermal damage on and around its underside than expected, I could see them adding a spray-on ablative paint for GTO missions, then cleaning it off as a standard part of refurbishment.

Online Herb Schaltegger

If the JCSAT return stage ends up having more thermal damage on and around its underside than expected, I could see them adding a spray-on ablative paint for GTO missions, then cleaning it off as a standard part of refurbishment.

I've held for quite awhile now that the sharply-defined discolored area around the lower part of the stage is more than simple soot deposition. I think it's either an ablative coating (or paint, serving effectively the same purpose), or some other kind of TPS. In fact, closeup photos of the CRS-8 stage following recovery look quite a bit like cork (which has been used as TPS on spacecraft in the past); if so, perhaps the darkening is actually cork scorching a bit.
« Last Edit: 05/09/2016 10:16 pm by Herb Schaltegger »
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline Fluke72

• Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #22 on: 05/09/2016 10:30 pm »

I've held for quite awhile now that the sharply-defined discolored area around the lower part of the stage is more than simple soot deposition. I think it's either an ablative coating (or paint, serving effectively the same purpose), or some other kind of TPS. In fact, closeup photos of the CRS-8 stage following recovery look quite a bit like cork (which has been used as TPS on spacecraft in the past); if so, perhaps the darkening is actually cork scorching a bit.

give this guy a cigar!!! 
former SpaceX technician

Online Herb Schaltegger

give this guy a cigar!!! 

I'll take some LIKES for my post instead. ;)
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline sevenperforce

• Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 267
« Reply #24 on: 05/09/2016 11:05 pm »

I concur. The line at the top is far too sharply defined to be merely the result of some sort of thermal effect from the oxygen tank.

My guess is that the lower third of the stage has an ablative paint while the engine panels themselves are covered with cork layers. I was watching the processing of CRS-8 and I could have sworn I saw them peel off something that was black on the outside but tan on the tear surface.

If the damage to the underside of JCSAT-14 is too great then they might add more of the same.

Offline somepitch

• Vancouver
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #25 on: 05/10/2016 12:52 am »
I wonder how many stages will have to come back for the groundhog day-like soot line debate to be put to rest...  ;D :o

Online Herb Schaltegger

I wonder how many stages will have to come back for the groundhog day-like soot line debate to be put to rest...  ;D :o

I think the debate - such as it is - has been put to rest.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 4005
  • Likes Given: 2270
« Reply #27 on: 05/10/2016 03:57 am »
The last 17 (now 18) posts in this thread have nothing to do with the Thaicom-8 mission.  This is a mission specific thread.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8567
  • Likes Given: 6981
« Reply #28 on: 05/10/2016 03:59 am »
The last 17 (now 18) posts in this thread have nothing to do with the Thaicom-8 mission.  This is a mission specific thread.
Good point. So scattered I don't see where to move them to easily.

Don't forget to report to moderators....
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 669
  • Likes Given: 786
« Reply #29 on: 05/10/2016 01:54 pm »
Question: Has the order of missions been changed or is Thaicom-8 still scheduled to launch after the Eutelsat/Asia Broadcast pair? Forgive me if I've missed an announcement at any point.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline macpacheco

• Vitoria-ES-Brazil
  • Liked: 347
  • Likes Given: 2690
« Reply #30 on: 05/10/2016 02:02 pm »
Question: Has the order of missions been changed or is Thaicom-8 still scheduled to launch after the Eutelsat/Asia Broadcast pair? Forgive me if I've missed an announcement at any point.
Thaicom is expected to launch this month. Eutelsat/Asia Broadcast planned for June. There was an inversion in order.
spacexstats suggest Thaicom-8 launch in May, 26th.
« Last Edit: 05/10/2016 02:03 pm by macpacheco »
Looking for companies doing great things for much more than money

Offline atsf90east

The current launch date and time for Thaicom-8 is May 26th at 2140 GMT (5:40 p.m. EDT) from SLC-40.
Attended Launches: Space Shuttle: STS-85, STS-95, STS-96, STS-103. Falcon 9: Thaicom-8

Offline deadshot462

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: 05/10/2016 08:48 pm »
Apparently the range safety system will be off for maintenance until may 27th, does that conflict with this launch date or will the maintenance occur at a different time?

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 776
  • Likes Given: 1256
« Reply #33 on: 05/10/2016 09:53 pm »
Apparently the range safety system will be off for maintenance until may 27th, does that conflict with this launch date or will the maintenance occur at a different time?

I've wondered about that, seems like a rather obvious over lap. But SpaceX seems to slip at least 1-2 days from the first stated goal.

I might-could be on the space-coast for the 27th. 

After seeing Delta 2's, Atlas 2,3,5's and the space shuttle it would be something to catch an F9 launch. 
Needing a copy of 'Tales of Suspense #39'

Offline atsf90east

I know that the payload, fairing, and the Falcon 9 first stage booster are at CCAFS, but has anyone seen the second stage yet?
Attended Launches: Space Shuttle: STS-85, STS-95, STS-96, STS-103. Falcon 9: Thaicom-8

Offline rpapo

I know that the payload, fairing, and the Falcon 9 first stage booster are at CCAFS, but has anyone seen the second stage yet?
Do we ever see second stages on the road?  I can't recall it being reported up to now.  First stages, legs, and payloads, yes.  But fairings and second stages I can't recall them being reported here before.
An Apollo fanboy . . . fifty years ago.

Offline Mader Levap

• Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 501
« Reply #36 on: 05/14/2016 07:15 pm »
Do we ever see second stages on the road?  I can't recall it being reported up to now.  First stages, legs, and payloads, yes.  But fairings and second stages I can't recall them being reported here before.
This is because of size. They are easier to overlook. Just another big load on just another trailer.
Be successful.  Then tell the haters to (BLEEP) off. - deruch
...and if you have failure, tell it anyway.

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 968
  • Likes Given: 386
« Reply #37 on: 05/18/2016 12:05 am »
The current launch date and time for Thaicom-8 is May 26th at 2140 GMT (5:40 p.m. EDT) from SLC-40.

This has been the quietist chatter pre-launch for any recent launch.
Something's afoot.
"It'll bang right out!"

Online tleski

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 408
« Reply #38 on: 05/18/2016 12:09 am »
KSC visitor center removed the launch from their schedule. I asked them why on tweeter, no reply yet. I am not sure they would be authorized to discuss this publicly even if they knew something. I guess we will find out soon enough.
« Last Edit: 05/18/2016 12:10 am by tleski »

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 776
  • Likes Given: 1256
« Reply #39 on: 05/18/2016 12:14 am »

This has been the quietist chatter pre-launch for any recent launch.
Something's afoot.

I've been thinking the same thing. 

Maybe the return of the previous booster distracted people, or few of us believe the date is real.  If the static fire actually happens Sunday I'm sure we'll be back to the normal chaos next week.
Needing a copy of 'Tales of Suspense #39'

Tags: