It has been widely discussed at the time of the launches.
The evidence that the reentry vehicles failed was not that great.
It still looked like the NK reentry vehicle survived long enough for an air burst, using yield from the last test. *
The armscontrolwonks once more dug up a declassified study about early US reentry testing. Most of the failed test did not break up but veered off course, hitting outside the systems CEP. (Consistent ablation rates seem to be hard.)
The articles are not that rosy if you say no ground burst for NK and likely just hitting a different part of a
city target.

*: Some articles said it broke up at 1 mile height. Which happens to be the default air burst height for 150kt on nukemap...
What I would like to know is how would it look if they stuffed their gadget with conventional explosives and set it for airburst. We know that they rigged some rocket stages with self destuction charges to prevent recovery or at least make it harder.
According to CNN it is still in the air ATM possibly a high altitude flight to test the RV...
By the altitude achieved it could be a Hwasong-14.
By the altitude achieved it could be a Hwasong-14.
Possibly testing the re-entry vehicle again after reports of prior failures on past launches.
IMMEDIATE RELEASE No. NR-401-17
Nov. 28, 2017
Statement by Pentagon Spokesman Col. Robert Manning on North Korea ICBM Launch
The U.S. Department of Defense detected and tracked a single North Korea missile launch today at about 1:17 p.m. EST. Initial assessment indicates that this missile was an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).
The missile was launched from Sain Ni, North Korea, and traveled about 1000 km before splashing down in the Sea of Japan, within Japan's Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). We are working with our interagency partners on a more detailed assessment of the launch.
The North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) determined the missile launch from North Korea did not pose a threat to North America, our territories or our allies.
Our commitment to the defense of our allies, including the Republic of Korea and Japan, in the face of these threats, remains ironclad. We remain prepared to defend ourselves and our allies from any attack or provocation.
Apparently, the missile flew to an altitude of 2800 miles on a "flat trajectory" - demonstrating much greater capability than ever shown before:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-north-korea-ballistic-missile-20171128-story.htmlThe missile, which was launched early Wednesday local time, traveled some 620 miles and reached a height of about 2,800 miles before landing off the coast of Japan and flew for a total of 54 minutes. This suggested that it had been fired almost straight up — on a lofted trajectory similar to North Korea's two previous intercontinental ballistic missile tests.
...
If it had flown on a standard trajectory designed to maximize its reach, this missile would have a range of more than 8,100 miles, said David Wright, co-director of the global security program at the Union of Concerned Scientists.
The Pentagon announcement quoted above gives the launch site as being "Sain Ni". Is this a new launch site or is it one which we know under a different name?
Interesting time when everyone hopes that NK "only" tested another (3rd) HS-14.
Looks like there will be a special NK TV report soon. New pictures to ponder over.
Edit says:
There were no pictures of the launch but as usual of Kim the launch order. HS-
15 
Via
Anna Fifield and others.
North Korea claims that the latest launch test demonstrates an ability to "reach all of the mainland US"
North Korea declares ballistic missile launch a success: ‘Which can reach all of the mainland US’(But maybe not Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands)
Anyhow, Pyongyang says that with this test their nuclear program now stands completed:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-29/north-korea-says-nuclear-program-completed-after-new-icbm-testNorth Korean leader Kim Jong Un said his regime completed its nuclear program after firing a missile that put the entire U.S. in range.
North Korea “successfully” fired a new Hwasong-15 missile with improved technology, the state-run Korean Central News Agency said Wednesday. Kim watched the test and “declared with pride that now we have finally realized the great historic cause of completing the state nuclear force, the cause of building a rocket power,” KCNA said.
“It is the most powerful ICBM, which meets the goal of the completion of the rocket weaponry system development set by the DPRK,” the report said, referring to North Korea by its formal name.