Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 - Eutelsat 117W B & ABS 2A - SLC-40 - June - DISCUSSION  (Read 220611 times)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 3139
  • Likes Given: 8763
From "Tony the Video Master"  update post! :)

There are your pancaked engine bells (4:33) Doug! ;D

« Last Edit: 06/22/2016 07:48 pm by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline sevenperforce

• Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 267
A rare look at the other end of the octaweb (1:25). Presumably everything else went kablooey...pretty cleanly.

(4:33) Accordioned indeed.
« Last Edit: 06/22/2016 07:54 pm by sevenperforce »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 3139
  • Likes Given: 8763
A rare look at the other end of the octaweb (1:25). Presumably everything else went kablooey...pretty cleanly.

(4:33) Accordioned indeed.
Looks to be a leg behind it on the deck as it was lifted up....
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2911
  • Likes Given: 2249
Less damage post entry burn around stage outer base above engine nozzles, possibly less hot gas intrusion inside the octoweb. Can anyone make out the top nozzle "gaskets"?

Hard to gauge with the impact damage. Pity that the terminal guidance / landing burn failed, it might have been that this one showed certain improvements obscured by other damage.

Offline Fluke72

• Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 5
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32983.msg1469792#msg1469792
The nozzles do have cooling passages. On one of the pics with them in the Octo you can sorta see the drain plugs (very small allen plug) near the bottom edge. As far as material and what flows in it I can't speak to that  ;)

Drain plugs circled in red. Nozzle bells are part of regenerative RP-1 flow.
correct and fyi the nozzle when drained post test runs equals 3-4 gallons.
former SpaceX technician

Offline pechisbeque

• Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 0
I'll class this as an update - but please discuss in the discussion thread to keep this thread purely on updates.

So what happened? Based on the unusual silence from all parties, various assumptions (yikes, "ain't nobody got time for that"!) and folk at the Cape, it would appear ULA and SpaceX had their bookings lined up at the Cape, but after the scrub on Thursday, and potentially as late as on the day on Friday, the NROL folk said "hold on, I know there's very little chance of a problem, but I don't want our very expensive spy sat at ANY risk while still out there on top of the Delta IV-H" based on the tiny chance the F9 had a bad day during the Static Fire (not that I assume a F9 RUD on SLC-40 would result in harm coming to SLC-37....but I suppose if there's even a slim chance, that was the concern...you don't want a flying grid fin impacting on national security, do you!).

Or it could all be bollocks, but until someone gives us an official statement, which is unlikely if the above is correct, that's what I'm thinking.

Was there ever any confirmation of this theory? If correct, it seems like a remarkably prescient request from the NRO.
It seems no one cared this much about OSIRIS-REx despite being even closer to SLC-40.  :'(
I'm glad everything is fine.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8965
  • Likes Given: 5770
I'll class this as an update - but please discuss in the discussion thread to keep this thread purely on updates.

So what happened? Based on the unusual silence from all parties, various assumptions (yikes, "ain't nobody got time for that"!) and folk at the Cape, it would appear ULA and SpaceX had their bookings lined up at the Cape, but after the scrub on Thursday, and potentially as late as on the day on Friday, the NROL folk said "hold on, I know there's very little chance of a problem, but I don't want our very expensive spy sat at ANY risk while still out there on top of the Delta IV-H" based on the tiny chance the F9 had a bad day during the Static Fire (not that I assume a F9 RUD on SLC-40 would result in harm coming to SLC-37....but I suppose if there's even a slim chance, that was the concern...you don't want a flying grid fin impacting on national security, do you!).

Or it could all be bollocks, but until someone gives us an official statement, which is unlikely if the above is correct, that's what I'm thinking.

Was there ever any confirmation of this theory? If correct, it seems like a remarkably prescient request from the NRO.
It seems no one cared this much about OSIRIS-REx despite being even closer to SLC-40.  :'(
I'm glad everything is fine.
NRO has been around long enough to remember pad explosions. And those birds are ridiculously expensive.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Tags: