Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 - Eutelsat 117W B & ABS 2A - SLC-40 - June - DISCUSSION  (Read 220609 times)

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 4681
SpaceX Tweet
Next launch targeting June 14 from Cape Canaveral 45 minute launch window opens at 10:32am ET, 2:32pm UTC

45 minute window is interesting.  I don't think that allows enough time to unload and reload propellent but it does give them some leeway on when propellent loading starts.  Plus how ever long they can allow propellent to warm post loading but I think that is a pretty short time.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline king1999

• F-Niner Fan
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 718
45 minutes may be enough to chase away a boat!

Offline CJ

• Liked: 656
  • Likes Given: 180
I thought this was scheduled for late June? It's now June 14th?

Did we just see a schedule slip to the left, rather than the right? If so, that's the first time I've ever seen that, from anyone. 8)
« Last Edit: 06/04/2016 09:43 am by CJ »

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 540
  • Likes Given: 604

Did we just see a schedule slip to the left, rather than the right? If so, that's the first time I've ever seen that, from anyone. 8)

Another sign of how amateurish SpaceX is. Schedule slips left and right!

Offline Barmaglot

• Israel
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0

Just to put it in perspective, it was scheduled for Q4-15, then 03-16, then 04-16, then 03-05-2016, then 16-06-16, and finally 14-06-16. So, yeah, two days of advancement totally make up for eight months of schedule slips.

Offline Mongo62

• Liked: 714
  • Likes Given: 145

Just to put it in perspective, it was scheduled for Q4-15, then 03-16, then 04-16, then 03-05-2016, then 16-06-16, and finally 14-06-16. So, yeah, two days of advancement totally make up for eight months of schedule slips.

What's your point? Schedule slips to the right are common (even for non-SpaceX launches), but changes to the left are virtually unheard of.

Offline macpacheco

• Vitoria-ES-Brazil
  • Liked: 347
  • Likes Given: 2689

Because SpaceX managed to do something faster, somehow they're amateurs. Oh they don't have a lot of fat in their schedules. They don't accept putting some padding in just in case.
I my opinion it just shows how serious they are about fulfilling their manifest.
Looking for companies doing great things for much more than money

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 6154
  • Likes Given: 2081

Because SpaceX managed to do something faster, somehow they're amateurs. Oh they don't have a lot of fat in their schedules. They don't accept putting some padding in just in case.
I my opinion it just shows how serious they are about fulfilling their manifest.
You obviously didn't get the joke.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 669
  • Likes Given: 786
SpaceX Tweet
Next launch targeting June 14 from Cape Canaveral 45 minute launch window opens at 10:32am ET, 2:32pm UTC

Are those two spacecraft really the twins that they look like?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2752
  • Likes Given: 1
Yes. The Boeing 702SP electric propulsion commsats are designed for a dual manifest capability. F9 launched another pair last year.
« Last Edit: 06/04/2016 06:23 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8563
  • Likes Given: 6978
SpaceX Tweet

both birds look impressive...  SWEET that we have a date pulled in. That's not amateurish it's awesome. Even 2 days is something.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline The Amazing Catstronaut

• Arsia Mons, Mars, Sol IV, Inner Solar Solar System, Sol system.
  • Liked: 757
  • Likes Given: 627
Looks like the world's biggest boom box they're launching into space there.
Resident feline spaceflight expert. Knows nothing of value about human spaceflight.

Offline BruceM

• Florida
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 40
Officially moved up to June 14.

Obviously the end times are near when launch Windows move left on a schedule.

Great to see this!

Wondered if anyone has thoughts on why the move.

Possibilities:
1. Range availability?  (SFN shows a Delta 4 launch on 6/9 and an Atlas 5 launch on 6/24)
2. Did the customer just call them up and say, "How about moving our launch up a couple of days?"  :)
3. As they were preparing for the launch they just happened to find themselves with a couple of free days with nothing to do so they decided to move up the launch?   :D
4. Next SX launch at SLC 40 appears to be CRS-9 on 7/16.  Does this move result in just enough time to slide in another launch before CRS-9?  (Starhawk92's schedule shows AMOS-6 and JCSAT-16 set for August but didn't hear anything about them wanting to move up).   ;D

Probably other possibilities as well.

Would be especially interesting to hear thoughts from anyone "in the know" about how this decision might have been made but glad for all thoughts.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 06/05/2016 06:32 pm by BruceM »

Offline alexterrell

• Germany
  • Liked: 102
  • Likes Given: 71
Looks like the world's biggest boom box they're launching into space there.

Giant stereo speakers in space! Save on the broadcasting and reassembling the signal bit :)

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 1459
  • Likes Given: 4521
The comm sat processing is usually 30days. If they would interleave a launch, we should have seen the bird arrive at the Cape already. Unless CRS-9 is delayed in which case the bird might be arriving this week.

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1359
  • Likes Given: 599
The comm sat processing is usually 30days. If they would interleave a launch, we should have seen the bird arrive at the Cape already. Unless CRS-9 is delayed in which case the bird might be arriving this week.
Valid as of two weeks ago Monday, is that shipping reviews and packing in the shipping containers has been completed for both AMOS-6 and JCSAT-16 and there mobile GSE. I have found no public indication yet that the satellites have arrived at CCAFS for processing at either offline or online processing facilities on and off of base.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 453
  • Likes Given: 676
Slightly OT question. Can you stacked 3 Boeing 702 SP birds together for launch?

Offline manoweb

• Tracer of rays
  • Hayward CA
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 84
You obviously didn't get the joke.
Something that happens a lot even to native speakers.
And I think his English is a LOT better than our Portugese.

But this is not a grammar issue, it's a semantic one, so the native language is less relevant. I am also not a native speaker but it was extremely clear it was a "nerd" joke.

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 776
  • Likes Given: 1255
I'm excited that we are almost at the static fire and we are 8 days out for the next launch and that the last booster is just getting hauled off to the hanger.

It's a nice little flow they are establishing.  With ASDS landings it looks like it will be hard to get much better than a 17 day cycle without adding another ASDS.
1) 4-5 days to get on station
2) ? days to catch the rocket (depending on launch scrubs)
3) 4-5 days return to port
4) 2-3 days unload rocket
5) ? days to resupply and service
5) Repeat
« Last Edit: 06/10/2016 02:07 pm by Chris Bergin »
Needing a copy of 'Tales of Suspense #39'

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8563
  • Likes Given: 6978
Steps 4 and 5 are where I expect to see schedule improvement... Can't do much about how fast they can travel out and back, but they are already showing improvement at unload time I think?
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Tags: