Poll

How many flights into the schedule of crewed Dragon flights will Elon Musk wait before taking one of the passenger seats for himself?

3 to 5
11 (10.9%)
6 to 10
29 (28.7%)
15 to 20
21 (20.8%)
Never
9 (8.9%)
Less than never but > 20
31 (30.7%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Author Topic: Elon goes into orbit  (Read 2839 times)

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1782
  • Likes Given: 3387
Elon goes into orbit
« on: 04/13/2016 01:26 AM »
This idea has been kicking around in my head for a while, and I finally decided it would make a nice, fun poll.

The idea is this:

I believe it is inevitable that, once the Dragon 2 system is proven to be safe to ride, Elon Musk will assign himself one of the passenger seats on a crewed flight.

The rules are that this can either be an ISS "space flight participant" mission in which Musk visits the ISS (i.e., a Dragon swap-out and permanent crew rotation mission), or simply a mission he orders up specifically so he can fly himself into LEO.

I'm trying to see what people think of Musk, how badly he wants to personally fly into LEO, and what kind of self-restraint you think he will have.  After all, this will literally be the first human being who can order up an orbital flight for himself.  My assumption is he will actually do so, one way or another, but you can certainly disagree by selecting the "Never" option.

Have fun!
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 778
  • Likes Given: 949
Re: Elon goes into orbit
« Reply #1 on: 04/13/2016 02:35 AM »
I think Elon will wait till Mars and SpaceX is public before risking his neck and company on a flight
Colonize Mars!

Offline nadreck

« Reply #2 on: 04/13/2016 02:56 AM »
You might want to add the option > 20 but less than never.
It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #3 on: 04/13/2016 03:08 AM »
You might want to add the option > 20 but less than never.

OK, done.  I just figured it would take an iron will to wait that long, if I were in Musk's shoes.  And I doubt I would have that iron of a will, personally... :)
« Last Edit: 04/13/2016 03:08 AM by the_other_Doug »

Offline nadreck

« Reply #4 on: 04/13/2016 05:27 AM »
So I voted 6 to 10, because I don't think Elon will launch a flight just for himself (restraint) and that there won't be an opportunity for him as a dead head until there is a non NASA flight.
It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Offline MikeAtkinson

• Bracknell, England
  • Liked: 530
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #5 on: 04/13/2016 09:41 AM »
When would Elon ever have the time to do the training?

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7036
  • Likes Given: 4817
« Reply #6 on: 04/13/2016 10:35 AM »
What training? If we assume he's not going up by himself, he probably can skate by with very little if any, since he's been involved in the design of all the systems.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
  • Liked: 643
  • Likes Given: 1125
« Reply #7 on: 04/13/2016 12:00 PM »
I could see Elon riding up as a space tourist during a crew exchange in the latter years of the ISS, but not until Crew Dragon has many flights under its belt and Falcon itself has more flight time.

He's already a bit of a risk-taker with recreational pursuits, so hopefully I'm wrong. It would be like a bank storing all its cash in a wood chipper.
"Why is the logo on the side of a rocket so important?"
"So you can find the pieces." -Jim, the Steely Eyed

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 1244
  • Likes Given: 938
« Reply #8 on: 04/13/2016 01:27 PM »
I voted 6 to 10 years because I think Elon would wait for a non-ISS flight. Probably to a Bigelow station since one should be in orbit within that timeframe. Maybe an early BFS test flight if he feels adventurous.

Offline symbios

• Elon Musk fan
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 698
« Reply #9 on: 04/13/2016 05:07 PM »
Observe that it is not years, it is number of crewed Dragon flights.
I'm a fan, not a fanatic...

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #10 on: 04/13/2016 08:40 PM »
And be aware, it's a trick poll -- if he flies on the 11th through 14th flight, no one wins... ;)

(Okay, okay, so I sort of put up a disjointed and non-contiguous set of timeframes, can't change it now...)

Offline mfck

• Office Plankton Representative
  • Israel
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #11 on: 04/13/2016 09:44 PM »
And be aware, it's a trick poll -- if he flies on the 11th through 14th flight, no one wins... ;)

(Okay, okay, so I sort of put up a disjointed and non-contiguous set of timeframes, can't change it now...)
Where you trying hard to avoid even mentioning 13?

Tags: