Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 3  (Read 807198 times)

Offline rsdavis9

Here is the closest buoy I could find. about 120nm too far out.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41047
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline Chris Bergin

Looks like we'll need to set up another stage returning to port thread....let's get people out there taking photos, before we suffer the supplemented wrath of the webcam guy after he gets upset with social media ;)

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 334
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 3
« Reply #842 on: 05/06/2016 06:33 AM »
Yep.. they nailed this one.  :D

..although what they were doing with that remotely-controlled fire sprinkler is anyone's guess.

Such a shame it was in the dark, so we didn't get to see any bounce... but the landing lights on the legs are pretty cool.  Better watch out for UFO reports about the time the stage was coming down.  ;)
« Last Edit: 05/06/2016 06:38 AM by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 1593
  • Likes Given: 222
« Reply #843 on: 05/06/2016 06:37 AM »

Yep.. they nailed this one.  :D

..although what they were doing with that remotely-controlled fire sprinkler is anyone's guess.
Wind was doing that...

And dang! This just spelled a massive amount of future wasted time watching the port Canaveral webcam...
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7302
  • Likes Given: 5103
« Reply #844 on: 05/06/2016 06:38 AM »
And dang! This just spelled a massive amount of future wasted time watching the port Canaveral webcam...
hopefully not as much as last time, this time I think they probably know which end of the stage to hook the crane to first try...
« Last Edit: 05/06/2016 06:39 AM by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 334
« Reply #845 on: 05/06/2016 06:39 AM »
hopefully not as much as last time, this time I think they probably know which end of the stage to hook the crane to first try...

*YAWN*  Wake me up when something happens..

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Req

• Liked: 413
  • Likes Given: 2581
« Reply #846 on: 05/06/2016 07:14 AM »
Crossposting from the discussion thread:
Here's the money shots for the hosted and technical webcasts:

Hosted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bMeDj76ig&feature=youtu.be&t=38m00s

Technical:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lYZLxr3L4E&feature=youtu.be&t=38m10s

The technical link has a better view of the events.

Edit - It's always been a bit of an open question whether the vibrations from the acoustic environment alone would cause the satlink to temporarily lose sync, because the radomes have been blown away every time we had real-time video from the deck during descent.  We now know that the vibrations do indeed cause it to temporarily lose sync, but not drop frames.  It just spent some time paused, it didn't skip anything.

And we'll get to see any bounces that may have happened, once they get the video directly from the go-pros(and/or the 3D video) CameronD. :)
« Last Edit: 05/06/2016 07:22 AM by Req »

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 779
  • Likes Given: 974
« Reply #847 on: 05/06/2016 08:32 AM »
I think the time may be coming that this whole section of the forum needs to be renamed to remove 'reusable' from the title because "of course rockets are reusable" ! It's the throw away stages which are rapidly becoming the quaint buggy-whip type story. It will soon be considered an unusual waste.
Colonize Mars!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11063
  • Likes Given: 329
« Reply #848 on: 05/06/2016 10:58 AM »
I think the time may be coming that this whole section of the forum needs to be renamed to remove 'reusable' from the title because "of course rockets are reusable" ! It's the throw away stages which are rapidly becoming the quaint buggy-whip type story. It will soon be considered an unusual waste.

No, the title can only be changed to recoverable at this time. 

Offline Jet Black

No, the title can only be changed to recoverable at this time.

Quite right. There are a few people who seem to be treating three very different landings as if the whole thing is a done deal. It still remains to be seen if these rockets can be reliably reused at a cost that is commercially beneficial. There are still a large number of unknowns to be overcome.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7302
  • Likes Given: 5103
« Reply #850 on: 05/06/2016 11:56 AM »
Keep us exuberant types honest, Jim and company... but so far indications are pretty promising, I'd say...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 1593
  • Likes Given: 222
« Reply #851 on: 05/06/2016 12:32 PM »
I think I'm going to send Jim his very own monogrammed bucket...
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline montyrmanley

• Liked: 83
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #852 on: 05/06/2016 12:41 PM »
Keep us exuberant types honest, Jim and company... but so far indications are pretty promising, I'd say...

The Shuttle SRB's were "recoverable" -- they were jettisoned after powered flight, and came down on parachutes into the water, and had to be recovered and extensively rebuilt after every flight.

What SpaceX has done is a difference in kind. Their boosters landed under their own power on a floating barge. IIRC the booster from the Orbcomm mission has already been test-fired. There will no doubt be a certain amount of maintenance required between flights, but all indications are that the turnaround will be far shorter -- and much less expensive -- than with the SRB's. Blue Origin's recent adventures with the New Shepard vehicle are also pretty incredible, but much less challenging than what SpaceX has done. Prior to SpaceX and Blue Origin, the only real analogue would be the DCX/Delta Clipper, and that was never anything more than a fringe project that NASA funded only grudgingly and cancelled as soon as the craft was damaged in a landing attempt.

I agree that we can't claim "reusability" until SpaceX reflies a recovered stage, but they've already done the hard part in getting the booster back. I think the "reuse" part is only a matter of weeks, or a few months at most.

Offline Mike_1179

• New Jersey
  • Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #853 on: 05/06/2016 12:51 PM »

The Shuttle SRB's were "recoverable" -- they were jettisoned after powered flight, and came down on parachutes into the water, and had to be recovered and extensively rebuilt after every flight.

What SpaceX has done is a difference in kind. Their boosters landed under their own power on a floating barge. IIRC the booster from the Orbcomm mission has already been test-fired. There will no doubt be a certain amount of maintenance required between flights, but all indications are that the turnaround will be far shorter -- and much less expensive -- than with the SRB's. Blue Origin's recent adventures with the New Shepard vehicle are also pretty incredible, but much less challenging than what SpaceX has done. Prior to SpaceX and Blue Origin, the only real analogue would be the DCX/Delta Clipper, and that was never anything more than a fringe project that NASA funded only grudgingly and cancelled as soon as the craft was damaged in a landing attempt.

I agree that we can't claim "reusability" until SpaceX reflies a recovered stage, but they've already done the hard part in getting the booster back. I think the "reuse" part is only a matter of weeks, or a few months at most.

The shuttle orbiter was both recoverable and re-usable but it took much more time and manpower to get it ready for re-use than was the original plan. Someone saying "we'll just fill stages up with gas and have 'em go again" is akin to saying in 1978 that the shuttle will have the same turnaround time as a commercial airliner.

Yes these are very important first steps and hard technical challenges. They're not there yet, not by a lot. (Still awesome to watch though)

Offline OnWithTheShow

• Philadelphia, PA
  • Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #854 on: 05/06/2016 01:13 PM »
It occurs to me that with the surface level video of the landing that the support ships were within about 6 miles of ASDS (~ horizon distance from Go Quest's con). This is closer than we previously suspected, yes?

Online abaddon

• Liked: 1159
  • Likes Given: 1002
« Reply #855 on: 05/06/2016 01:24 PM »
The shuttle orbiter was both recoverable and re-usable but it took much more time and manpower to get it ready for re-use than was the original plan.  Someone saying "we'll just fill stages up with gas and have 'em go again" is akin to saying in 1978 that the shuttle will have the same turnaround time as a commercial airliner.
The orbiter is a completely different kettle of fish.  Not a good comparison at all.
Yes these are very important first steps and hard technical challenges. They're not there yet, not by a lot.
We'll see about that, won't we?

Offline MarekCyzio

So when should we expect ASDS in the port? Monday? Tuesday?

Offline southshore26

It occurs to me that with the surface level video of the landing that the support ships were within about 6 miles of ASDS (~ horizon distance from Go Quest's con). This is closer than we previously suspected, yes?

I believe so yes... I think the assumption previous was close to 10 miles.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2535
  • Likes Given: 525
« Reply #858 on: 05/06/2016 01:56 PM »

It took them almost exactly 4 days transit to reach the LZ. So 4 days minimum, ie Tuesday morning at earliest. But possibly later, since last time they took the return trip much slower than the outbound trip.

Offline southshore26

It took them almost exactly 4 days transit to reach the LZ. So 4 days minimum, ie Tuesday morning at earliest. But possibly later, since last time they took the return trip much slower than the outbound trip.

They're a good bit farther out in the Atlantic this time correct?

Tags: