Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 3  (Read 807056 times)

Offline CJ

• Liked: 645
  • Likes Given: 180
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 3
« Reply #820 on: 05/03/2016 08:42 PM »
Regarding the new gear (ladder); when OCISLY was returning with the F9, OCISLY was boarded (this was heard on the radio, apparently) by some SpaceX personnel just off Canaveral harbor. Some of these are speculated to have been VIP types, and thus high up in the company. They, even moreso than general SpaceX crew, would tend to be unaccustomed to the normal methods for ship to ship boarding - jumping/climbing. I also suspect that Cameron D is right regarding a safety inspector, especially if said inspector was aware that OCISLY had been boarded by novices (Novices at boarding ships at sea). That's a very different thing than being boarded only by a tug crew. 

In general, changes like this are what I expect to see for the ASDS; small changes based upon operational experience.

I'll also make a purely speculative (based in no evidence) prediction for another such change; a tarp for the lower portions of the F9 will be added to OCISLY's gear (it it hasn't already) and used to protect the F9 engine area from spray during transit.

Offline iamlucky13

• Liked: 102
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #821 on: 05/03/2016 10:09 PM »
off shore crew transfer

IMHO, it's a bit soppy really.  What's wrong with using a rope ladder?  Either that or they should learn to jump just like everyone else..  ::)

Horatio Hornblower certainly would not have approved. I recall he had pretty strong disdain for use of the bosun's chair. A sailor uses the ropes only. Ahh...I need to read those books again.

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 199
  • Likes Given: 194
« Reply #822 on: 05/03/2016 11:14 PM »
off shore crew transfer

IMHO, it's a bit soppy really.  What's wrong with using a rope ladder?  Either that or they should learn to jump just like everyone else..  ::)

Horatio Hornblower certainly would not have approved. I recall he had pretty strong disdain for use of the bosun's chair. A sailor uses the ropes only. Ahh...I need to read those books again.

Patrick O'Brian 's Aubrey–Maturin series (Master and Commander, etc) is way better IMO; spend your time on those instead.

But we're way off topic.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 334
« Reply #823 on: 05/03/2016 11:42 PM »
off shore crew transfer

Patrick O'Brian 's Aubrey–Maturin series (Master and Commander, etc) is way better IMO; spend your time on those instead.

I disagree with both those statements: (a) that there was any suggestion they use a bosun's chair and (b) that Patrick O'Brian's series comes anywhere close to CS Forester's..

But we're way off topic.

..but on this I do agree.  Here's hoping something happens soon - before we all go overboard!  :)
« Last Edit: 05/03/2016 11:43 PM by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 334
« Reply #824 on: 05/04/2016 12:00 AM »
The most important question for OCISLY is, have they renewed the 4-leaf clover?

Yup it is there :)

The be quite honest, given the years of valuable arm-chair engineering design critique NSF has provided (in this thread alone) I'm a bit surprised no-one has yet scrawled "We love NasaSpaceFlight" right beside it...  Hell, they know we're looking!!!

..and on that note, I'm even more surprised SpaceX hasn't chosen to deliberately install some obscure urban artwork on deck someplace just to give us something else to feed on.  ::)
« Last Edit: 05/04/2016 12:01 AM by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Bargemanos

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 681
« Reply #825 on: 05/04/2016 08:39 AM »
The most important question for OCISLY is, have they renewed the 4-leaf clover?

Yup it is there :)

The be quite honest, given the years of valuable arm-chair engineering design critique NSF has provided (in this thread alone) I'm a bit surprised no-one has yet scrawled "We love NasaSpaceFlight" right beside it...  Hell, they know we're looking!!!

..and on that note, I'm even more surprised SpaceX hasn't chosen to deliberately install some obscure urban artwork on deck someplace just to give us something else to feed on.  ::)

i'd prefer a NSF bumper sticker we can search for in high res images!  ;D 8)

Just i case, here you go boys  ;)  :P
http://www.cafepress.com/nasasf.1330453213

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 505
  • Likes Given: 251
« Reply #826 on: 05/04/2016 01:11 PM »
Is the plan to eventually leave the ASDS on station and transfer the booster to a horizontal cradle on a GO ship with a crane?

Offline rpapo

• Cybernetic Mole
  • Michigan, USA
  • Liked: 620
  • Likes Given: 472
« Reply #827 on: 05/04/2016 01:33 PM »
Is the plan to eventually leave the ASDS on station and transfer the booster to a horizontal cradle on a GO ship with a crane?
None of the three different helper ships is even remotely big enough to do that.
An Apollo fanboy . . . fifty years ago.

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7290
  • Likes Given: 5091
« Reply #828 on: 05/04/2016 02:54 PM »
There has been prior discussion of many variants on this approach.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
  • Liked: 451
  • Likes Given: 1829
« Reply #829 on: 05/04/2016 06:55 PM »

Be aware... that getting the "beanie cap" swinging from a crane lined up with the top of the stage...
...while both the stage and crane are moving about on the open seas...
... will be almost 'mission impossible'...  :P
It took a long time with the crane on dry land and the stage on a ship in port...  :-\
Just saying...  ;)

Online launchwatcher

• Liked: 252
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #830 on: 05/04/2016 07:05 PM »

Be aware... that getting the "beanie cap" swinging from a crane lined up with the top of the stage...
...while both the stage and crane are moving about on the open seas...
... will be almost 'mission impossible'...  :P
It took a long time with the crane on dry land and the stage on a ship in port...  :-\
Just saying...  ;)
See the discussion about 10 pages back about active stabilization for cranes.   Offshore energy development in the North Sea has advanced the state of the art.   Doesn't look cheap, though; until the launch rate increases it likely won't save them any money over bringing the barge back to port.

Offline maximlevitsky

• Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 103
« Reply #831 on: 05/04/2016 07:49 PM »
Please don't read this post.
Since you didn't listen, here is awsome barge landing game on android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ween.rocket

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/4hk1k6/rocket_landing_game_android/

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #832 on: 05/04/2016 10:26 PM »
So that got me looking at my phone.  Its black with a flat screen.  When I lay it down face up it has some resemblance to an ASDS.  Perhaps someone could market a case that has bow angle, containers, blast wall etc., and an app that puts the circles and "X" on the screen?

Offline Chris_Pi

• Wisconsin
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #833 on: 05/04/2016 11:11 PM »
Shapeways probably has a case design that would fit whatever phone you have. Add the containers/blastwalls and the other bits to the model and do a multi-color print. Then all you need is a screen wallpaper to match. No app needed. Can probably hire out the design work for not too much - Low detail and not too much of it. Plenty of reference photos to work from, Too.

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 394
« Reply #834 on: 05/04/2016 11:24 PM »
Id buy one, if it was IPad size. It could be more detailed, as there would be more room to work
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #835 on: 05/05/2016 01:28 AM »
So now I've got interest in two of them in two sizes and one of them is potentially a paying customer.  Hmm...

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7290
  • Likes Given: 5091
« Reply #836 on: 05/05/2016 03:50 AM »
I want one... or two. I have two Galaxy S5s

spawn a subthread? somewhere in the modeling/recreation section? we can carve out the posts, if desired. PM me.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2535
  • Likes Given: 525
« Reply #837 on: 05/05/2016 12:17 PM »
Elsbeth III speed plot from Reddit user robbak:

http://i.imgur.com/846I7uy.png?1

The dip at the "4 May" tick mark is about 96 hours after leaving port and likely represents the "drop off" operation where EIII cut OCISLY loose at the landing zone.

So they reached the LZ about 24 hours before the planned launch time.
« Last Edit: 05/05/2016 12:41 PM by Kabloona »

Offline CyndyC

This might be mission update level, but when in doubt as they say, notification option under free services at Marine Traffic is "Sailing in high winds", you set the speed (I'm using 30 knots), which apparently includes areas beyond the coastal receivers.

ELSBETH III is reported to be sailing in high winds (34 knots, 208°) at: 
Time: 2016-05-05 07:59 UTC 
Position: 27.98077, -73.69197 
Speed/Course: 1.9 knots / 85° 

ELSBETH III is reported to be sailing in high winds (39 knots, 206°) at: 
Time: 2016-05-05 10:06 UTC 
Position: 28.16415, -73.71335 
Speed/Course: 6.6 knots / 316° 

GO QUEST is reported to be sailing in high winds (34 knots, 208°) at: 
Time: 2016-05-05 08:17 UTC 
Position: 28.12847, -73.75204 
Speed/Course: 0.7 knots / 109° 

GO SEARCHER is reported to be sailing in high winds (39 knots, 206°) at: 
Time: 2016-05-05 09:03 UTC 
Position: 28.20389, -73.79446 
Speed/Course: 4.7 knots / 351° 

Please note that the above Wind Data relies on weather forecasts that can be up to 24 hours old. 
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2535
  • Likes Given: 525
« Reply #839 on: 05/05/2016 03:51 PM »
Those high winds were probably the last storm front passing through.

Fortunately, winds near the LZ are at 20 knots now and falling. By midnight they are forecast to be 13 knots, so the weather for landing will be near perfect.

https://www.windyty.com/?28.217,-73.806,6

(The above are not the exact landing coordinates, but close enough for weather purposes)
« Last Edit: 05/05/2016 04:00 PM by Kabloona »

Tags: