Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 3  (Read 827475 times)

Offline AJW

• Liked: 498
  • Likes Given: 63
In the overhead view, there is part of the stage under a white tarp.   Any clue if this was the engines and octaweb, or could these have remained below deck?  If so, they may need to open up the hole further to extract these parts before repairs can begin.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1786
  • Likes Given: 3387
Random hypothetical question from nowhere;

If there were to be an F9 flight two days from now (surprise!) and assuming that SpaceX were willing to take the chance that one of the landing leg feet might step into the hole in the deck could ASDS OCISLY report for duty or is it legally grounded?  And if grounded is there appeal wiggle room since there is no endangerment and its such a badass program that the CG is already partway involved in?

I'd imagine that several of the trailers need replacing, as well as some of the cooling equipment for the Thrustmasters, etc., etc. before OCISLY would be considered capable of accomplishing a stage recovery.

However, I do recognize that your question is more about whether or not, short of wartime, a barge with a hole in its deck would be considered seaworthy than whether it could realistically be ready to depart in a day or so with all needful repairs to accomplish a stage recovery, a hole in the deck notwithstanding.  And I guess my answer to that is, well, it came back into port from 600 km out to sea, right?  I'd say that, while not happy, it was seaworthy... but without the Thrustmasters all working, and without replacing some of the apparently damaged electronics trailers, there would be far more risk than reward in a landing attempt.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline maximlevitsky

• Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 103
Hi fellow barge watchers/stalkers  :D

I am still making an model of the barge
(you can see the current state here : https://github.com/maximlevitsky/ASDS)

After last wave of images, when we found out about the hole, I found out that I didn't get the wings width correct, and I also don't know anymore the exact location of engine mounts.

If you happen to stalk the barge again, could you take a photo of the stern engine mounts directly from the side and/or from the above with drone? This will help me determine the distance between engine mount and wing.
Also obviously any closeups of the engines and engine mounts are very welcome.

Also if the barge is still in raised condition (with ballast tanks empty) I would like a closeup photo of exposed side (what appears to be white). I want to know what raised relief bars on the sides they did cut and what parts they didn't.

About the engines they are not exactly OD1000 - the autocad drawing doesn't match in the long tube section, it appears to be roughly ~10ft shorter, and not unformally conical.

You can see current status of my model here
https://twitter.com/maximlevitsky/status/706599126876684288

Offline MarekCyzio

The barge earlier today.

« Last Edit: 03/13/2016 09:40 PM by MarekCyzio »

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 1631
  • Likes Given: 1958
The barge earlier today.

Alas, the pictures aren't quite high enough resolution to resolve the deck thickness debate.
I am amused to say this of a 2000 pixel high image.

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
  • Liked: 880
  • Likes Given: 910
I am still making an model of the barge
(you can see the current state here : https://github.com/maximlevitsky/ASDS)

I looked at the progress page.  I don't get it.  Why does your model of a barge look like a computer program?
edit: Now an hour or two later I look at it again and I see images of it.  Hmm, must be a browser freakout thing.

today.
Delightful, thank you.  Very resolutious.  Observations and thoughts -
- Today is a Sunday and they are busting it out.  It would seem that someone is motivated to have an ASDS as an available option for CRS-8.
- They have a substantial number of night work lights.  Looks like its urgent enough that they're working multiple shifts into the night
- There are enough LOX dewers to launch a (very) small rocket.  So they have a lot of initial cutting of scrap steel to do before the reconstruction starts.  Also gaseous oxygen and a rack of black cylinders which I assume is acetylene.
- Plenty of torch cut barge scrap in two piles (tan with singed edges) but nowhere near the quantity that I would expect based on the quantity of oxygen they have on hand.  More to come up?
- No aerospace scrap in sight.  Either SpaceX collected their scrap and moved it off before this crew started or it kept on going out the bottom.
- There is a fair sized load of fresh lumber on deck.  To make temporary holders for plate and various structures?
- Blast wall is cleaner than I remember it being and in the 6048 image you can see the clover.  You could make a song about the clover being still there after the rocket's red glare.

There is information V in L2 if you missed it.
« Last Edit: 03/14/2016 01:05 AM by OxCartMark »

Online Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 1758
  • Likes Given: 231
On the second image it's impressive to see the cut out section of deck and the attached steel I beam stringers the are attached to the underside. I'm still amazed by the power of the impact and can only imagine just how awesome the video must be of that, uh, event.

And six generators (welders) on deck along with work lights. Someone seems in an awful hurry to effect the repairs...
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 824
lol and how about that mine shaft type elevator basket! i guess they're lowering dudes into the hole to cut and weld.

Offline MarekCyzio

A bit higher resolution. I think I neeed to invest in longer lens...

Go Quest is now parked elsewhere:

« Last Edit: 03/14/2016 11:12 AM by MarekCyzio »

Offline rpapo

• Cybernetic Mole
  • Michigan, USA
  • Liked: 635
  • Likes Given: 486
Why so much wood on deck?  I thought the barge was all steel...
An Apollo fanboy . . . fifty years ago.

Offline Herb Schaltegger

Probably temporary shoring while structural repairs are made; WWII warships used to keep stocks of timber aboard for the same purpose.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
How's things out JRTI way?

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1451
  • Likes Given: 2380
Around 5 March INTL Freedom went near it then went to about a km west of Island Freeman possibly leaving JRTI there. It then berthed and then went straight out to San Diego at about 6.5 kn... Can't say if it had JRTI with it or not..on satellite imagery there are many barges around the spot it(tug) currently is.
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 470
  • Likes Given: 338
I take it you mean CG would insist OCISLY is repaired 100% before leaving port...
No... she could sail now if they wanted to... IMHO...

There are many stories (IIRC) of boats being patched seaworthy and going back to sea...
It was not damaged beyond use... since it relies on EIII to provide propulsion and guidance... 
My guess  ;) is CG considers if boat is a hazard or could easily become a hazard if taken out as is...

Of course I differ to those who know the regs better then me...   :)

Depends who's watching, I suppose.  ;)

The point is:  (1) The barge is leased from McDonough Marine, who, it would seem from looking through the ABS records for their rather-extensive fleet, take pride in ensuring they always comply with their obligations.  (2) The barge has then been heavily modified and re-surveyed and USCG approved again in accordance with the regs, so it would surprise many if SpaceX suddenly cut corners (pun intended) with the repairs this time around.

As mentioned above, it looks like the they've done some internal structural damage that needs fixing.  Sure, they could patch it up and head to sea right away if needed - but what if something went wrong with the repairs in some way and the ASDS either (God forbid) sank or one of their on-board crew was injured?   It doesn't look like a big fix to me and I wouldn't think they'd want to take the risk whilst the world was watching on.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 470
  • Likes Given: 338

Probably temporary shoring while structural repairs are made; WWII warships used to keep stocks of timber aboard for the same purpose.

I would only get worried if they start loading bags of cement.. since, traditionally, that's what's used to fix hull leaks - and cover a multitude of sins.  8)
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2563
  • Likes Given: 531
The barge earlier today.

Alas, the pictures aren't quite high enough resolution to resolve the deck thickness debate.

I just asked a source at McDonough Marine who told me the deck plate is 9/16" thick, so we won't have to debate that point any further.  ;)

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 4093
  • Likes Given: 769
Think of the Yorktown before the Battle of Midway.

Not sure this is quite as compelling...
And, since Yorktown was sunk during the battle, we don't want the same result!

- Ed kyle

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
I just asked a source at McDonough Marine who told me the deck plate is 9/16" thick, so we won't have to debate that point any further.  ;)

Now that's a solid report.  Case closed forever.  Thanks.

It seems as if someone else, a newer person IIRC, solved another longstanding ASDS mystery a few weeks back by just simply picking up the phone and calling the authority.  I can't recall or find it, I think it was the Eastern Range or Coast Guard??

Given these two stepwise advancements in ASDS science it seems to me that rather than filling up hundreds of additional pages of NSF server space with more speculations, calculations, and educated guesses we just need to list our questions and call the sources for answers.  Perhaps we need to print up some cool looking NSF credentials so we look official doing it. ;D

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2563
  • Likes Given: 531
It seems as if someone else, a newer person IIRC, solved another longstanding ASDS mystery a few weeks back by just simply picking up the phone and calling the authority.  I can't recall or find it, I think it was the Eastern Range or Coast Guard??

That was someone who contacted the 45th Space Wing to ask about the boat intrusion in the hazard area. Who knew you could get answers just by asking the right person?  ;)

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1435
  • Likes Given: 1301
Given these two stepwise advancements in ASDS science it seems to me that rather than filling up hundreds of additional pages of NSF server space with more speculations, calculations, and educated guesses we just need to list our questions and call the sources for answers.  Perhaps we need to print up some cool looking NSF credentials so we look official doing it. ;D

That would be so very nice. It gets really hard to follow actual information sometimes with all of the unceasing arguments that well up everywhere.

Tags: