Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 3  (Read 715249 times)

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2446
  • Likes Given: 506
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 3
« Reply #320 on: 03/30/2016 12:20 AM »
So now we can get back to the discussion of RSR...as in the Rapid Scheduled Reassembly of OCISLY.

7 days until she needs to leave port.
« Last Edit: 03/30/2016 12:53 AM by Kabloona »

Offline CyndyC

Intellian wouldn't have been my first choice for reliable gear.

What would be your choice for reliable gear, Nomadd? Is it possible SpaceX has been using Intellian gear elsewhere and has been happy with the performance? I don't know what they use to beam down from the rocket, but have yet to see that feed go out.
« Last Edit: 03/30/2016 03:58 AM by CyndyC »
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 4382
  • Likes Given: 284
« Reply #322 on: 03/30/2016 03:28 AM »
Intellian wouldn't have been my first choice for reliable gear.

What would be your choice for reliable gear, Nomadd? Is it possible SpaceX has been using Intellian gear elsewhere and have been happy with the performance? I don't know what they use to beam down from the rocket, but have yet to see that feed go out.
Seatel, which Intellian copied most of their gear from, but has much better technical support.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #323 on: 03/30/2016 03:48 AM »
IIRC, the first photos of the original ASDS (Just Read the Instructions) showed TracPhone VSAT antenna domes. I guess they've moved on. Maybe the new ones are more vibration-resistant.
« Last Edit: 03/30/2016 03:59 AM by Kabloona »

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4297
  • Likes Given: 859
« Reply #324 on: 03/30/2016 05:12 AM »
IIRC, the first photos of the original ASDS (Just Read the Instructions) showed TracPhone VSAT antenna domes. I guess they've moved on. Maybe the new ones are more vibration-resistant.

... or cheaper to replace ...  :)
(something something quantity discount)
« Last Edit: 03/30/2016 05:12 AM by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 4382
  • Likes Given: 284
« Reply #325 on: 03/30/2016 05:21 AM »
I've been out of the business for a while, but KVHs Tracphones use to be big on selling services, where Intellian or Seatels bigger Marine VSATs were more generic dishes. Lots of people use them to access the same bandwidth they get on their land VSATs, and avoid the ridiculously expensive sea based services. 3 megabits up and down is a pretty common package with 1M or 1.2M. Smaller Tracphones are pretty common for telephone, messaging and lower speed data.
 The barge looks like both antennas have 360 coverage, which makes things a helluva lot simpler than on most ships.
 Speaking of iPhones again, I used an iPhone 3s with a 3 axis vibration recorder app to OK spots for those dishes and smaller sat antennas on the masts. That and all the audio and scope apps I had saved us a fortune on test equipment.
« Last Edit: 03/30/2016 05:33 AM by Nomadd »

Offline dgates

• Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #326 on: 03/31/2016 12:00 AM »
How far offshore is the ASDS expected to be?
Pilot

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
  • Liked: 818
  • Likes Given: 884
« Reply #327 on: 03/31/2016 01:43 AM »
Anybody feel like dropping by Port Canaveral and seeing how things are going?  We're going to need that ASDS ready to go soon.

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
« Reply #328 on: 03/31/2016 02:07 AM »
About 185 statute miles from the point of launchness and about 172 miles from nearest land.  Curiously enough, when I started swinging a Google Earth measuring radial around the ASDS hold point I found that the ASDS will be in the center of a very nice shoreline arc which extends from Charleston to the top of Cape Canaveral.  Along that stretch the distance from land to the ASDS tends to fall within a single digit (+/-) range.   That's oddly interesting.  I tried to draw a circle on the image to show this but it can't be done very well because of map projection non-linearity.  I suggest having a go at it in Go Oogle Earth, the point is 30.5 deg N, 78.5 deg W.

Here is the map I posted a few pages back
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39766.msg1507418#msg1507418

« Last Edit: 03/31/2016 02:08 AM by OxCartMark »

Offline dgates

« Reply #329 on: 03/31/2016 07:50 PM »
Darn, probably too far out to see from 8000-10000 feet I think.  I am going to be watching the launch while flying my plane.
Pilot

Online Comga

• Liked: 1374
  • Likes Given: 1134
« Reply #330 on: 03/31/2016 08:08 PM »
About 185 statute miles from the point of launchness and about 172 miles from nearest land. 
Darn, probably too far out to see from 8000-10000 feet I think.  I am going to be watching the launch while flying my plane.

Correct
The horizon from 3 km = 10 kft around a 6378 km radius Earth is 197 km = 121 miles
You will only be able to see down to 4 km altitude at 185 miles distance, so the whole landing burn will be out of sight.
You would have to be ~23 kft to put the ASDS on the horizon, ~18 kft to see the start of the landing burn.

edit:  Or you have to fly more than 60 miles off-shore at 10 kft..
Kabloona has a point.  Anyone can watch a launch by driving up.
You can't get that close to the launch with an airplane anyways.  Optimize for the landing.
Just don't cause a range hold or people here and elsewhere will be .... unhappy with you.
« Last Edit: 03/31/2016 10:49 PM by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #331 on: 03/31/2016 10:23 PM »
I am going to be watching the launch while flying my plane.

Heck, you can watch the launch even without a plane.

How about watching the *landing* while flying your plane? That would be more fun.  ;)

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4297
  • Likes Given: 859
« Reply #332 on: 04/01/2016 12:32 AM »
I am going to be watching the launch while flying my plane.

Heck, you can watch the launch even without a plane.

How about watching the *landing* while flying your plane? That would be more fun.  ;)

Launches are so boring they no longer even get mentioned...   Seen one, seen them all...

But landings, man, landings!!!!
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 425
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #333 on: 04/01/2016 12:37 AM »

So.. if they recover a Grid Fin and re-use it on a new stage - does that count??  Maybe SpX should focus on collecting and re-using parts recovered from barge-RUD and work up to recovering a whole stage from there?!?   ::) ;D

Just a point.  RUD is only a term used for an engine coming apart and not a generic term for an accident or vehicle crash.  And it is a Spacex only term
The U can stand for several things, but the term has been used since the 70s at least.

For the record, I typed "RUD" as an abbreviation for "rapid unplanned disassembly" to save typing it all out (like I just have!  :o) (a) not particularly caring who used it when, where or why, (b) aware you lot all know what it means and (c) not wishing to make my post unnecessarily wordy..

EDIT: Anyways, yes, who's got some photos to share?!?  They must be getting close now! :)
« Last Edit: 04/01/2016 12:42 AM by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline dgates

« Reply #334 on: 04/01/2016 01:19 AM »
Well. Yeah, I was hoping to be able to see the landing, but hey, I will take the launch!

And yes, I intend to be VERY careful regarding airspace, including pre-coordination with Orlando Approach.  I will be actively radar tracked and if I get too close they will vector me as needed. ( IAW, yell at me to turn away).  I am NOT going to be "that guy"! Still should be a lot of fun!
Pilot

Offline hans_ober

• Somewhere
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #335 on: 04/01/2016 05:26 AM »
Well. Yeah, I was hoping to be able to see the landing, but hey, I will take the launch!

And yes, I intend to be VERY careful regarding airspace, including pre-coordination with Orlando Approach.  I will be actively radar tracked and if I get too close they will vector me as needed. ( IAW, yell at me to turn away).  I am NOT going to be "that guy"! Still should be a lot of fun!

Don't cause a scrub. Doing so will result in another twitter account: Wayward plane?

Remember to post video  :)

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1295
  • Likes Given: 1686
« Reply #336 on: 04/01/2016 12:13 PM »
"I don't want no scrubs, a scrub is a try who can't win my love from me."
« Last Edit: 04/01/2016 04:12 PM by mvpel »
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline cscott

• Liked: 1970
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #337 on: 04/01/2016 02:24 PM »

I assume you're flying vfr, hence you can't loiter 60 miles off shore?

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
« Reply #338 on: 04/02/2016 02:45 PM »
Its been a week since we've had any images other than the grainy ones from the port cam.  I'm withering away for lack of information.  Someone please feed us.

Offline CyndyC

Its been a week since we've had any images other than the grainy ones from the port cam.  I'm withering away for lack of information.  Someone please feed us.

At this point it might help to chip in together and offer to include a free lunch or dinner at Fishlips.
« Last Edit: 04/02/2016 04:00 PM by CyndyC »
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Tags: