Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 3  (Read 600606 times)

Online Alastor

• Liked: 116
  • Likes Given: 279
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 3
« Reply #1940 on: 03/22/2017 09:07 AM »
How long are those boats out for? How many crew on each? And what is the purpose of each?

somebody correct me if I'm wong but :
Turns out I was not completely right. See Jim's details below.

Elsbeth III is the one that tows OCISLY and carries the "securing the booster" activities after landing, along with Go Quest. Probably also some tracking/comms going on to some degree.
Go Searcher is alegedly the ship that works on the fairing activities. So far we did never see it coming back with fairing on board, though (even debris). So no real clues about its exact missions. I think we, however, have seen it perform some patterns that look like sonar reasearch of areas, that kind of stuff. It may very well be that all 3 ships just look after OCISLY, in reality. We don't know.
As for the crews ... no idea !
« Last Edit: 03/22/2017 12:30 PM by Alastor »

Online rpapo

• Cybernetic Mole
  • Michigan, USA
  • Liked: 487
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #1941 on: 03/22/2017 09:45 AM »
Did this article get posted here before?  It appears to have been written shortly after the CRS-8 landing.

http://truesouthmarine.com/uncategorized/the-spacex-autonomous-spaceport-drone-ship/

Edit, for Kabloona: This is not to say this article has anything in it that we didn't already know at that time.  It was simply an article I hadn't seen before, from a different perspective than our usual here.
« Last Edit: 03/22/2017 03:13 PM by rpapo »
An Apollo fanboy . . . fifty years ago.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9858
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #1942 on: 03/22/2017 11:51 AM »
How long are those boats out for? How many crew on each? And what is the purpose of each?

somebody correct me if I'm wong but :

Elsbeth III is the one that tows OCISLY and carries the "securing the booster" activities after landing,

It only tows, it does nothing else.  Go Quest has the comms, the people, the equipment, etc for dealing with the booster.
« Last Edit: 03/22/2017 11:52 AM by Jim »

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2256
  • Likes Given: 464
« Reply #1943 on: 03/22/2017 02:16 PM »
Did this article get posted here before?  It appears to have been written shortly after the CRS-8 landing.

http://truesouthmarine.com/uncategorized/the-spacex-autonomous-spaceport-drone-ship/

Which appears to have been sourced (almost?) entirely from material researched and reported on this site. Just sayin...nothing we didn't already know. Plus some incorrect statements, ie the F9 and the ASDS do not "talk" to each other.

But, thanks to Capt Jeff for reading NSF.  ;-)
« Last Edit: 03/22/2017 02:24 PM by Kabloona »

Offline cscott

• Liked: 1839
  • Likes Given: 658
« Reply #1944 on: 03/22/2017 04:26 PM »
Elsbeth tows the ASDS from the front.  In the harbor they use a line at front and back for better control, as seen on various harbor cams. Although usually a random "on call" tug for the port will do this role, I believe that Go Quest can also do guide the aft if needed, for example when at sea far from port.  This is based on marine track showing "formation sailing"; I don't think we've ever directly seen this.  Perhaps Go Quest is sailing in formation for some other reason.

Go Quest has all the comm gear and manpower to service the ASDS and the landed stage.  You can see the SpaceX containers on its aft deck.

Go Searcher is a bit of a mystery. Its deck is relatively clear, so speculation is that it is helping in recovery tasks, and might in fact be the fairing "searcher".  But for all we know it might be out there simply providing additional crew accommodations or fire-fighting capability or backup or something.  Because of the absence of SpaceX containers aboard, it's not likely to have a direct role in telemetry or comms.

The final element in the fleet is aircraft. Elon's personal jet has gone out to the recovery area in the past to receive telemetry and image the landing.  A NASA plane was also used to do long-range thermal imaging of retropropulsion.  We keep closer tabs on the marine sites than the aviation sites, so it's possible that these (or other) aviation resources have been deployed more often than we think.
« Last Edit: 03/22/2017 04:31 PM by cscott »

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2256
  • Likes Given: 464
« Reply #1945 on: 03/22/2017 05:57 PM »

Edit, for Kabloona: This is not to say this article has anything in it that we didn't already know at that time.  It was simply an article I hadn't seen before, from a different perspective than our usual here.

Sorry if I sounded too critical. Yes, nice to see others out there are interested.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 401
  • Likes Given: 301
« Reply #1946 on: 03/23/2017 12:33 AM »

Which appears to have been sourced (almost?) entirely from material researched and reported on this site. Just sayin...nothing we didn't already know. Plus some incorrect statements, ie the F9 and the ASDS do not "talk" to each other.

Nice find!  To add to the incorrect statements list: "enhanced hull rigidity" - to the best of our collective knowledge, they did nothing of the sort.  Nor should they need to.  These barges are extremely sturdy and impressively tough and if they weren't I'm sure SpaceX would have chosen someone else to supply their fleet.
« Last Edit: 03/23/2017 12:34 AM by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1284
  • Likes Given: 1881
« Reply #1947 on: 03/23/2017 12:57 AM »

Nice find!  To add to the incorrect statements list: "enhanced hull rigidity" - to the best of our collective knowledge, they did nothing of the sort.  Nor should they need to.  These barges are extremely sturdy and impressively tough and if they weren't I'm sure SpaceX would have chosen someone else to supply their fleet.
This may have happened as part of their repairs after the SES-9 "hard landing" when they had to replace a section of the deck and presumably some damaged areas underneath.  Alternatively, it could be a misinterpretation of some of that work. 
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 401
  • Likes Given: 301
« Reply #1948 on: 03/23/2017 01:08 AM »

This may have happened as part of their repairs after the SES-9 "hard landing" when they had to replace a section of the deck and presumably some damaged areas underneath.  Alternatively, it could be a misinterpretation of some of that work.

Hmm.. To me, "enhanced hull rigidity" means beefing up the hull in various places from stem to stern - not just the like-for-like deck structural repair we saw.  It would require a complete re-survey of the vessel and I can't see any evidence of this in the ABS records on-line.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, only that I, personally, have not seen any evidence of this in the pics available on-line and, if they did, would be interested to know why.  Agreed it's most likely a misinterpretation of the work done..

« Last Edit: 03/23/2017 01:09 AM by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline obi-wan

• Liked: 579
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1949 on: 03/24/2017 02:41 PM »
Departing Port Canaveral right now - the gizmo is on the deck of OCISLY - four jack stands on a much larger octagonal base right down on the deck - I got a lot of photos on my good camera, but not on the phone, so I'll post a link when I get back at the end of the week if no one else beats me to it. Wanted to send this while still in cell phone range

Ohhh the cruelty.. ;) :P

Even the worst picture on your phone will do... ;D

I posted the link to the photos under the "Roomba" thread in SpaceX General - thought that would be more appropriate than here...

Offline cscott

• Liked: 1839
  • Likes Given: 658
« Reply #1950 on: 03/24/2017 02:46 PM »
The link to the new photos, for the lazy:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42511.msg1658106.msg#1658106

Having given the "other thread" a quick look, I agree it is the more suitable place for kremlinology about how this thing will work.

Online ehb

• Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 374
« Reply #1951 on: 03/25/2017 04:08 PM »
She's on her way:

ELSBETH III departed from Port CAPE CANAVERAL
at 2017-03-25 12:52 Local Time (2017-03-25 16:52 UTC)

Notice received from http://marinetraffic.com
« Last Edit: 03/25/2017 04:10 PM by ehb »

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 274
  • Likes Given: 294
« Reply #1952 on: 03/25/2017 06:30 PM »
Same information from the SES-10 thread, but with direct link to MT listing:

OCISLY or at least Elsbeth III left Port Canaveral.
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:434560/zoom:10
« Last Edit: 03/25/2017 06:31 PM by ChrisC »
How to embed photos from outside sources (e.g. Twitter)
NASA TV in HD:  history and FAQ (from 2007-2010 startup period)

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 98
  • Likes Given: 231
« Reply #1953 on: 03/25/2017 06:35 PM »
a look at $webcam shows that OCISLY has left
Where can I apply for SpaceX fanboy?.

What webcam? everyone seems to awkward talking about it...
Proud creator of Ian's Paper Model Rocket Collection:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42383.0

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 98
  • Likes Given: 231
Where can I apply for SpaceX fanboy?.

good summary of the events: https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/4izg1t/regarding_ptztv_and_links_to_their_port_canaveral/

Very interesting and sad. Where can I find a link to the camera? Feel free to PM me the link if need be.
Proud creator of Ian's Paper Model Rocket Collection:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42383.0

Offline southshore26

good summary of the events: https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/4izg1t/regarding_ptztv_and_links_to_their_port_canaveral/

Very interesting and sad. Where can I find a link to the camera? Feel free to PM me the link if need be.

Just google Port Canaveral webcam...

Online Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 631
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #1958 on: 03/27/2017 05:06 PM »
a look at $webcam shows that OCISLY has left

HEre is a video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSEcCVlAhb-/
"Every vision is a joke until the first man accomplishes it; once realized, it becomes commonplace." - Robert Goddard

Offline Req

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 2581
« Reply #1959 on: 03/28/2017 04:34 AM »
It's pretty awesome that the ASDS is underway and it's become so ho-hum that this thread is barely updating.

Tags: