Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 3  (Read 792236 times)

Offline symbios

• Elon Musk fan
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 699
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 3
« Reply #160 on: 03/20/2016 02:31 PM »
I'm sorry to be a little petty  ;D

But a bollard is something you use to tie the boat to the key. <edit> In this context a</edit> bollard box refers to a cut out section at deck level where you place the bollard out of the way. (se OxCartMark answer below)

You could call it a ballast tank. Or a water tight section of the hull used as a ballast tank. There might be a more correct technical term... English is not my first language  8)

Recall that the ASDS operates with its "bollard boxes" partially flooded.  This lets it ride lower in the water and gives it great stability in an ocean-wave environment.

Edit: Thanks OxCartMark for the clarification.
« Last Edit: 03/20/2016 03:54 PM by symbios »
I'm a fan, not a fanatic...

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #161 on: 03/20/2016 03:45 PM »
I'm sorry to be a little petty  ;D

But a bollard is something you use to tie the boat to the key. A bollard box refers to a cut out section usually at deck level where you place the bollard out of the way.

You could call it a ballast tank. Or a water tight section of the hull used as a ballast tank. There might be a more correct technical term... English is not my first language  8)

Recall that the ASDS operates with its "bollard boxes" partially flooded.  This lets it ride lower in the water and gives it great stability in an ocean-wave environment.

"Bollard Box" is a term that Ohsin came up with to call out the rectangular hollowness space that is created around the bollards (the short posts that rope is tied to).  This allows the bollards to be below flush with the deck and inside of the side width of the barge.  AFAIK, bollard box is not an official nautical term but rather something that Ohsin came up with to explain what he was seeing.  It seems he came up with the term a year or so ago and used it here but I forgot and ~10 days ago in this thread I had to ask and he explained that term.  That's how I'm now familiar with the term.  I think ballast tank or water tight compartment may be the right term for what is below deck.

The list away from the hole seen when ASDS OCISLY came in was explained above as being due to water having been pumped out of the damaged compartment / tank(s).  That may or may not be the case.  It could also be the case that water was pumped from other compartments in that area and it may be that it wasn't possible to drain that tank if it was holed on the bottom, other than the small reduction that would come from water draining out the bottom as that side of the barge came up from draining surrounding compartments.

bol·lard
ˈbälərd
noun
a short, thick post on the deck of a ship or on a wharf, to which a ship's rope may be secured.

Offline CyndyC

I may have started the confusion with my later U-turn & hole corner re-ballast ideas, and I apologize, but it was an honest mistake. In the video of the piece of deck being lifted, it's clear the piece is being lifted from the side opposite the bulkhead, and that it was cut from there too (latter clearer at full screen w/ zoom in about 3:18), and in the aerial from March 8th, the large hole is against the bulkhead.

So in other words, U-turn aside, unfortunately I might now have to add even more confusion. That deck piece and large hole it came from are clearly on the starboard side, using my marker for the bow, the small white metal bubble sticking up from a white container on one end, which jives with CJ's marker of name on port side, both being visible in Kabloona's photo. In addition, when I just watched the video again, that hole does not appear to be in the corner as I & others may have first assumed, but close to the center of the starboard side. In the March 8th photo, the hole we've been following is on the same side as the name, the port side, and clearly in a corner.

I don't see how anyone can guess what THAT is about, so it might help if we can hang on till this:
Someone on Reddit says he'll be down there Sunday with a drone to take aerial video, so maybe we'll see some footage from him this weekend.
« Last Edit: 03/20/2016 07:27 PM by CyndyC »
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2510
  • Likes Given: 522
« Reply #163 on: 03/20/2016 07:11 PM »
So in other words, U-turn aside, unfortunately I might now have to add even more confusion. That deck piece and large hole it came from are clearly on the starboard side, using my marker for the bow, the small white metal bubble sticking up from a white container on one end, which jives with CJ's marker of name on port side, both being visible in Kabloona's photo. In addition, when I just watched the video again, that hole does not appear to be in the corner as I & others may have first assumed, but close to the center of the starboard side. In the March 8th photo, the hole we've been following is on the same side as the name, the port side, and clearly in a corner.

If I understand correctly, you're saying you see a large hole at the center starboard side, in the video where the telehandler picked up the large piece of deck that had been cut out. But I don't think you're seeing a second hole. I believe you're seeing a dark pile of scrap steel that was cut out of the "original" hole from the impact in the stern/port corner. I think they cut several pieces of steel out of that hole and piled it on the starboard side, amidships.

Another indicator is the orange safety cones. You can see them in the far stern corner, around the "original" hole. If there were another hole on the starboard side by the debris pile, we would see cones surrounding that, too, but there aren't any cones visible there. So I believe it's just a scrap pile, not a second hole.
« Last Edit: 03/20/2016 07:17 PM by Kabloona »

Offline CyndyC

I don't know Kabloona, it will be nice if you're right, but I just looked again and I still think it's a new hole they've cut. I only see flat gray plates lying around the area. I also see the orange cones on the stern after you mentioned them, but I don't think they would put them around a hole while they're working on it.
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline sewebster

• British Columbia
  • Liked: 186
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #165 on: 03/20/2016 08:44 PM »
I don't know Kabloona, it will be nice if you're right, but I just looked again and I still think it's a new hole they've cut. I only see flat gray plates lying around the area. I also see the orange cones on the stern after you mentioned them, but I don't think they would put them around a hole while they're working on it.

Are you looking at that video? Seems like you can see the pieces of junk shift around when they pick up the big piece at around 1:45... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJNPUqHFdLg?t=105

Offline Herb Schaltegger

They most definitely would have some kind of warning or barrier around part of an open space/fall hazard - OSHA regulations require them. I'm with Kabloona on this.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline CyndyC

Are you looking at that video? Seems like you can see the pieces of junk shift around when they pick up the big piece at around 1:45... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJNPUqHFdLg?t=105

You're right, something black fluttered around big time for about 2-3 seconds there. It made me think of tar paper more than scrap steel, but there's a better closeup at 4:40 that could pass for the same material instead of a hole.

They most definitely would have some kind of warning or barrier around part of an open space/fall hazard - OSHA regulations require them. I'm with Kabloona on this.

There are a lot of flat pieces of gray metal lying around for protection, and companies skirt around OSHA regulations all the time when they think no one is watching, but in this case there's a good chance the repair companies can guess people are watching. So, as I said here & previously, I'm happy to be more convinced that's not a new hole after all.

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
« Reply #168 on: 03/21/2016 02:14 PM »
From the previous thread

Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2
« Reply #6295 on: March 08, 2016, 09:29:58 AM »
Reddit user heading there with DSLR and drone.

The level of stalking for this barge is huge!

Did this ever happen?  Did said reddit user forget to go?  Forget to take off the lens cap?  Forget to upload?
« Last Edit: 03/21/2016 02:17 PM by OxCartMark »

Online CJ

• Liked: 625
  • Likes Given: 180
« Reply #169 on: 03/21/2016 06:36 PM »
I noticed a new pic of OCISLY on Redit, said to be taken today.
http://i.imgur.com/O1mGlJ0.jpg

Relevant thread is;
https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/4bdo1f/im_at_the_port_could_anyone_verify_if_this_is/

Looks to me like OCISLY still has a slight list away from the hole. (the photo is from off the starboard forward quarter).

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #170 on: 03/21/2016 08:44 PM »
And the guy with the drone posted about 3 hours ago saying it was too windy to fly, but that he would try again later.

Offline CyndyC

Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2
« Reply #6295 on: March 08, 2016, 09:29:58 AM »
Reddit user heading there with DSLR and drone.

Did this ever happen?  Did said reddit user forget to go?  Forget to take off the lens cap?  Forget to upload?

The aerial image I re-posted a smaller version of just a few posts ago, on the 19th, was first posted here on March 8th, the same day as the Reddit quote. The source given here was the Spacenews page on Facebook, but the photo could have been taken by the same Reddit photographer, depending on time of day of course.
« Last Edit: 03/21/2016 09:15 PM by CyndyC »

Offline CyndyC

I noticed a new pic of OCISLY on Redit, said to be taken today.
http://i.imgur.com/O1mGlJ0.jpg

So the good news is the starboard aft thruster is back up!

Looks to me like OCISLY still has a slight list away from the hole. (the photo is from off the starboard forward quarter).

Still something of a mystery why the starboard bow corner has been listing after coming in with the port bow corner listing.
« Last Edit: 03/21/2016 09:19 PM by CyndyC »

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 444
  • Likes Given: 325
« Reply #173 on: 03/21/2016 09:36 PM »

Still something of a mystery why the starboard bow corner has been listing after coming in with the port bow corner listing.

Not that much of a mystery..  They will have trimmed it like that to ensure any remaining water in the damaged ballast tank stays away from the site of the repair if they get any motion from the wake of a passing vessel.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1451
  • Likes Given: 2380
« Reply #174 on: 03/22/2016 01:22 AM »
And the guy with the drone posted about 3 hours ago saying it was too windy to fly, but that he would try again later.

Posted here. Drone wasn't used though.

http://johnkrausphotos.com/ocisly-march-21-2016/

Edit 1:
They really opened it up. I see whole rectangular section has been removed and all these beams on deck would probably be used to fix it from inside. Also stern thruster is half up.

Edit2:
Is that tube for ventilation? Also I think we can see some beam work already in place.
« Last Edit: 03/22/2016 01:57 AM by Ohsin »
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline CyndyC

The bow bubble is gone. I'm lost.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #176 on: 03/22/2016 02:18 AM »

It's the "original" hole in the stern, port side. They cut away all around it to make a big rectangular hole so the edges are straight.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 444
  • Likes Given: 325
« Reply #177 on: 03/22/2016 02:25 AM »

Posted here. Drone wasn't used though.

http://johnkrausphotos.com/ocisly-march-21-2016/

Edited:

They really opened it up. I see whole rectangular section has been removed and all these beams on deck would probably be used to fix it from inside. Also stern thruster is half up.

Yes, the blue is likely a primer coat.  You can see the new steel angles to be used to support the deck plates and a deck girder hanging from the crane.

Note the white ventilation duct with an industrial fan on the end.  Don't see any sign of new deck plates just yet.. but they're making good progress. :)

Edit:
Edit2:
Is that tube for ventilation? Also I think we can see some beam work already in place.

Yes.. and yes - looks like they're almost half-way there.  They'll likely complete all of the beams, girders and bulkhead work then cover it up with fresh deck plates and a final inspection.  Then comes the painting.. inside and out.
« Last Edit: 03/22/2016 02:36 AM by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline CyndyC

It's the "original" hole in the stern, port side. They cut away all around it to make a big rectangular hole so the edges are straight.

Hahaha, I know I've been on the confused side lately, but not that confused. I meant it like "who moved my cheese?" Could be a problem for me if they don't put it back though, when the deck isn't visible, or worse, if someone gets tricky and moves it to the stern.

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
« Reply #179 on: 03/22/2016 04:12 AM »
Whoever it was that was guessing toward the $50k end of the spectrum that money looks to have been spent.  I'm not going back to Elon to ask for the rest of the money we need to get this hole filled. You go ask him.

Tags: