Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 3  (Read 602468 times)

Offline maximlevitsky

• Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 103
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 3
« Reply #1580 on: 12/23/2016 05:49 PM »
White container at the bow is back at least. Don't notice more changes  :)

Offline maximlevitsky

« Reply #1581 on: 12/24/2016 01:53 PM »
Also stern generators are still gone, after I put so much effort to create textures for them :-(
Overall I really don't like the recent changes  :(
(Unless they will improve landing odds somehow, but I doubt on that.)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 5783
  • Likes Given: 3871
« Reply #1582 on: 12/25/2016 04:10 AM »
Also stern generators are still gone, after I put so much effort to create textures for them :-(
Overall I really don't like the recent changes  :(
(Unless they will improve landing odds somehow, but I doubt on that.)

Change is gonna happen. You have to roll with the punches, or freeze in time. Whinging isn't helpful. Thanks.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline maximlevitsky

« Reply #1583 on: 12/25/2016 05:17 AM »
This ship went through many changes and I wasn't whining. They replaced power units, replaced blast wall, replaced generators, added two 'roofs' to stern's blast wall, added ladder,....

I wasn't whining about this as all these changes had a purpose.
Current changes which include fences on everything and the container raising don't have a clear purpose other that complying with some sort of regulations or even change for sake of change.

That is what I whine about  :-\

Online Herb Schaltegger

This ship went through many changes and I wasn't whining. They replaced power units, replaced blast wall, replaced generators, added two 'roofs' to stern's blast wall, added ladder,....

I wasn't whining about this as all these changes had a purpose.
Current changes which include fences on everything and the container raising don't have a clear purpose other that complying with some sort of regulations or even change for sake of change.

That is what I whine about  :-\

Do you KNOW that or are you just speculating? And even if the changes are just "complying with some sort of regulation", you realize those regulations have a purpose and rationale, right?

Please stop whining.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline maximlevitsky

« Reply #1585 on: 12/25/2016 02:43 PM »
Speculation of course.
Last time they installed ladder, now fences.
I'll try not to whine :) but if you get new pictures I'll gladly see them.
I so want to see RTF already  :( (I hope I can whine about that...)

Offline CyndyC

..... better access to cabling exiting the floor of the container. In my experience with elevated switch-rooms, this allows you to put a lot more gear inside.

Those sound like reasonable explanations for raising the container, and another might be to increase the flow of air underneath to help keep the servers cool. The dark deck sitting under the sun in port and out to sea was probably doing a good job of cooking the servers.

The addition of fencing might be partly a result of influence from Tesla operations. Someone was badly injured from a fall at the Fremont factory in May of last year, and someone else was injured in a fall at the Gigafactory in July of this year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "Unintentional Fall" has consistently been the primary reason for emergency room admissions for 8 to 9 out of 10 age groups. Latest stats I could find are for 2013 at https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pdf/leading_causes_of_nonfatal_injury_2013-a.pdf
"Joy to the world!" -- G.F. Handel

Offline John Santos

• Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1587 on: 12/25/2016 06:14 PM »
..... better access to cabling exiting the floor of the container. In my experience with elevated switch-rooms, this allows you to put a lot more gear inside.

Those sound like reasonable explanations for raising the container, and another might be to increase the flow of air underneath to help keep the servers cool. The dark deck sitting under the sun in port and out to sea was probably doing a good job of cooking the servers.

The addition of fencing might be partly a result of influence from Tesla operations. Someone was badly injured from a fall at the Fremont factory in May of last year, and someone else was injured in a fall at the Gigafactory in July of this year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "Unintentional Fall" has consistently been the primary reason for emergency room admissions for 8 to 9 out of 10 age groups. Latest stats I could find are for 2013 at https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pdf/leading_causes_of_nonfatal_injury_2013-a.pdf

If only the Empire had an OSHA, the Death Star would have been a much less scary place to try to destroy.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 1035
  • Likes Given: 163
« Reply #1588 on: 12/25/2016 08:00 PM »

Sorry, but I don't agree at all. My two cents, but it at least is somewhat anchored in marine experience and engineering. They wouldn't raise the container for any of those reasons. Putting it up on high legs adds torque to rolling and pitching movements and adds high stress points to small footprints (where legs attach to deck). They wouldn't raise it for air circulation because you don't circulate raw (read: salt) air, you circulate conditioned and dried air. They wouldn't elevate the container to get an antenna higher, they would put the antenna on a mast. It's not a temporary situation because the wouldn't bend conduit they would just use flexible lines if it was temporary. Perhaps it's for storage under, though no idea what - and that's an interesting path to speculate on. It's a very intriguing development in the evolution of the ASDS, as may also be with regards to the center deck work. I can't wait for the next clue!
« Last Edit: 12/26/2016 01:46 PM by Johnnyhinbos »
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1449
  • Likes Given: 2381
« Reply #1589 on: 12/25/2016 08:53 PM »
From Fish Lips today. Looks like blast wall and thrusters are getting paint refresh.

@maximlevitsky At port side on wave wall an inflatable life raft as well and I'd be disappointed if it doesn't actually inflate in your model  ;D

Lovely images, many changes, much happy. How crazy one has to be to have crew on-board during landing?
« Last Edit: 12/25/2016 08:53 PM by Ohsin »
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline maximlevitsky

« Reply #1590 on: 12/25/2016 09:04 PM »
From Fish Lips today. Looks like blast wall and thrusters are getting paint refresh.

@maximlevitsky At port side on wave wall an inflatable life raft as well and I'd be disappointed if it doesn't actually inflate in your model  ;D

Lovely images, many changes, much happy. How crazy one has to be to have crew on-board during landing?

Thanks for the info! I always wandered what it is.  :P
Any idea what are the tall poles with rectangles on top are?

Also any links to where I could find more info on the ladder?
« Last Edit: 12/25/2016 09:06 PM by maximlevitsky »

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1449
  • Likes Given: 2381
« Reply #1591 on: 12/25/2016 09:43 PM »
Those are lights. And life raft is from RFD, you'd would have to look around.

http://www.rfd.com.au/products/marine/liferafts/
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline bstrong

• Liked: 492
  • Likes Given: 328
« Reply #1592 on: 12/27/2016 04:22 PM »
A few cell phone snaps from this morning (first stop on our family vacation).

Offline starhawk92

• Burlington, NC, USA, North America, Earth (for now)
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #1593 on: 12/28/2016 01:28 PM »
For those who know, does raising the box remove the amount of blast the box has to take?  Those are some beefy conduit runs, certainly not just for networking.  Is there any way to estimate power provided based on conduit size?  We know there are two A/C units in there, and "servers" (details anyone?).  What other information could be captured?  Could the stabilization process be getting an upgrade?  Is it better for gyros to be up and off the landing plane so they "feel" changes to the deck pitch more strongly?

Could this be the largest single amount of speculation in one post on this entire thread?

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4145
  • Likes Given: 843
« Reply #1594 on: 12/28/2016 03:54 PM »
For those who know, does raising the box remove the amount of blast the box has to take?  Those are some beefy conduit runs, certainly not just for networking.  Is there any way to estimate power provided based on conduit size?  We know there are two A/C units in there, and "servers" (details anyone?).  What other information could be captured?  Could the stabilization process be getting an upgrade?  Is it better for gyros to be up and off the landing plane so they "feel" changes to the deck pitch more strongly?

Could this be the largest single amount of speculation in one post on this entire thread?
If the raising is permanent, the #1 question should be - why not place another container underneath.

That's the simplest way to do it (no engineering required), and adds enclosed space, which you can always use more of.

Instead, they chose four columns, leaving a bunch of open space. So I'd think that whatever goes there does not want to be in a box.

If that line of logic holds, then speculation from this point is wild.

Something that wheels onto the deck?  Fire suppression?  Secure-in-place?

Remember there was some work done in mid deck, either just resurfacing or some improvement.
« Last Edit: 12/29/2016 12:48 AM by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Comga

• Liked: 1342
  • Likes Given: 1088
« Reply #1595 on: 12/31/2016 04:56 PM »
For a January 7 launch from VAFB, when would we expect JRTI to leave port?
Do we have anyone checking on it on a regular basis?  Is it visible on any webcams?

edit:  Do we expect SpaceX to use JTRI, or do we think they will attempt RTLS?  Have we seen a completed landing pad with the big X on it?  Are we still waiting to hear of Air Force approval as Jim suggested in the "SpaceX VAFB landing facilities" thread?
« Last Edit: 12/31/2016 05:01 PM by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 552
  • Likes Given: 148
« Reply #1596 on: 12/31/2016 06:36 PM »
Do we have anyone checking on it on a regular basis?  Is it visible on any webcams?

edit:  Do we expect SpaceX to use JTRI, or do we think they will attempt RTLS?  Have we seen a completed landing pad with the big X on it?  Are we still waiting to hear of Air Force approval as Jim suggested in the "SpaceX VAFB landing facilities" thread?

Not RTLS. Definitely droneship this time around. Mass, target orbit, the fact that this is a polar launch.

Droneship leaves 3-4 days in advance?
« Last Edit: 12/31/2016 06:37 PM by Jarnis »

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 3607
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #1597 on: 12/31/2016 07:39 PM »
 "Fences" reduce or eliminate the need for fall protection, which is time consuming, inconvenient and has safety issues itself. Permanent containers with their own floors are often raised so they don't block maintenance/inspection access to the deck. Also for barges that can be heavily loaded or ballasted for storms and get waves over the deck.
 These things will have to turn around in a few days without needing an overhaul every time and it sounds like they're doing the barge/ops fine tuning needed.
« Last Edit: 12/31/2016 07:43 PM by Nomadd »

Offline Flying Beaver

Marine Traffic tracking of the tug.
Saw OG-2 Booster Land in person 21/12/2015.

Offline envy887

• Liked: 1375
  • Likes Given: 915
« Reply #1599 on: 12/31/2016 08:13 PM »

Not RTLS. Definitely droneship this time around. Mass, target orbit, the fact that this is a polar launch.

Droneship leaves 3-4 days in advance?

This one will definitely go to the droneship, but it's certainly not out of the question that F9 with coming upgrades has the performance to deliver 10 of them and still RTLS the booster.

Tags: