Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 3  (Read 790422 times)

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 443
  • Likes Given: 325
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 3
« Reply #1540 on: 12/16/2016 03:04 AM »
Isn't there some maritime regulations about having a harbor pilot on your barge/ship, even if under tow?  I wonder if that's a spot for the pilot to stand?

There is and I'm sure he would.. but he could have climbed on top of a container (at least one had a ladder up the side for access to comms antennas) if he'd needed to in the past.  IMHO, it seems a lot of expense to go to just for the pilot... unless the plan is for the pilot to stay aboard in worse weather further out to sea.

They're certainly making changes whilst they have the opportunity and getting everything more permanent (or at least a lot less temporary), so it seems barge-landings on 'ol "Marmac 304" will be happening for a long time yet.

My uneducated armchair guess is the mods are for Falcon Heavy.

« Last Edit: 12/16/2016 03:08 AM by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Req

• Liked: 413
  • Likes Given: 2581
« Reply #1541 on: 12/16/2016 06:15 AM »
I hope these changes are for refueling. :D

Offline oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 534
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #1542 on: 12/16/2016 07:08 AM »
Demonstration of landing a booster in a fixture would bode well for ITS CONOPs.

Online guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1732
  • Likes Given: 1693
« Reply #1543 on: 12/16/2016 07:59 AM »
Demonstration of landing a booster in a fixture would bode well for ITS CONOPs.

I don't dare even hoping for that. But if then right now is a good time because the next number of flights will be boosters before Block 5 and will see little if any reuse. So easier to risk them on landing.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4465
  • Likes Given: 870
« Reply #1544 on: 12/16/2016 03:31 PM »
If this was a cradle, I think they'll need a place for the exhaust to go.

So either elevated (so the rocket ends up at the same height above deck as it does now) or a hole with side vents, which is much more complicated.

An elevated cradle would be as large as the legs, so I think they are just replacing deck plates.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online matthewkantar

• Liked: 512
  • Likes Given: 591
« Reply #1545 on: 12/16/2016 04:59 PM »
Looking again, it does not seem to me as though they are doing any mods to the center of the deck. It looked like that because there were either parts being readied to be installed at the ends of the ASDS, or parts pulled off of the ends. Looks like the older shorter legs for one container are piled up in the center, for instance.

Matthew

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 1492
  • Likes Given: 212
« Reply #1546 on: 12/16/2016 05:39 PM »
Looking again, it does not seem to me as though they are doing any mods to the center of the deck. It looked like that because there were either parts being readied to be installed at the ends of the ASDS, or parts pulled off of the ends. Looks like the older shorter legs for one container are piled up in the center, for instance.

Matthew
I don't think they would cordon off that area if there wasn't a hazard in the area, such as an opening. There's construction materials all over the deck but they don't set up barricades anywhere else. My guess is they are adding stiffeners under the center of the deck.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 1191
  • Likes Given: 3129
« Reply #1547 on: 12/16/2016 08:43 PM »
Maybe they changed the surface to provide a better radar image for the altimeter measures?

Offline maximlevitsky

• Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 103
« Reply #1548 on: 12/17/2016 11:23 AM »
I really hope that they won't rise that container permanently or that they rise the other container too since this makes the ship non-symetric and they seemed to avoid this until now.
Also I don't understand what are the benefits of raised container. It is even not covered by blast wall, unless they raise it too.
I think (might be wishful thinking) that they are working on the bottom of the container and thus raised it for now to ease the work.

I also noticed that they did something to forward thruster, I see some welding on it and pi like beam. Again, what they are up to :-(

Some good news are that actually we were right about the power units. Both radiators and mufflers are back on both power units, radiators painted with anti-corrosive paint and mufflers probably replaced or painted too.

I so wish to see the changes end so I could focus on my model again. Is is really hard to find joy continuing it when everything changing like that :-( Yea I know that I should just freeze the model and do it, since anyway the ship will continue changing and will eventually be retired.

:'( And, I wish I had more time to work on this   I put so much effort already and stuck in last 1%  :'(

I would be glad to see any new pictures of the ship, especially the stern
« Last Edit: 12/17/2016 11:27 AM by maximlevitsky »

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 1492
  • Likes Given: 212
« Reply #1549 on: 12/17/2016 11:52 AM »
I really hope that they won't rise that container permanently or that they rise the other container too since this makes the ship non-symetric and they seemed to avoid this until now.
Also I don't understand what are the benefits of raised container. It is even not covered by blast wall, unless they raise it too.
I think (might be wishful thinking) that they are working on the bottom of the container and thus raised it for now to ease the work.

I also noticed that they did something to forward thruster, I see some welding on it and pi like beam. Again, what they are up to :-(

Some good news are that actually we were right about the power units. Both radiators and mufflers are back on both power units, radiators painted with anti-corrosive paint and mufflers probably replaced or painted too.

I so wish to see the changes end so I could focus on my model again. Is is really hard to find joy continuing it when everything changing like that :-( Yea I know that I should just freeze the model and do it, since anyway the ship will continue changing and will eventually be retired.

:'( And, I wish I had more time to work on this   I put so much effort already and stuck in last 1%  :'(

Well, considering that the container has permanent conduit wired into it, I'd say it's not temporary. However I do question the seaworthiness of that setup. Just look back at previous damage and you'll see why I question it.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Req

« Reply #1550 on: 12/17/2016 12:23 PM »
Well, considering that the container has permanent conduit wired into it, I'd say it's not temporary. However I do question the seaworthiness of that setup. Just look back at previous damage and you'll see why I question it.

Seems like it's not a big deal unless you go out to sea in a storm, and in any case, they already installed a wall to deal with the height of the waves that damaged it previously.  Making the containers higher will not have any impact on the function of that wall or the height of the waves that hit it.
« Last Edit: 12/17/2016 12:24 PM by Req »

Offline maximlevitsky

• Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 103
« Reply #1551 on: 12/17/2016 12:40 PM »

It might be not as permanent as it seems. They might have it raised for the duration of the rebuild and want the equipment inside to still be running.

Having said that maybe by raising it they want to imorove VSAT antenna performance by mounting it on the container. I know that it is on the other containeer now but they can move it.

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2016
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #1552 on: 12/17/2016 11:28 PM »
There was a hint earlier about the vsat dropouts being caused by factors such as the ionized exhaust trail, not just vibration.  As such, it could be that repositioning could help... but I'd think you'd be looking for an extreme edge to get as far away from the exhaust as possible.

Online matthewkantar

• Liked: 512
  • Likes Given: 591
« Reply #1553 on: 12/18/2016 12:50 AM »
This seems quite permanent to me. If there was a need to temporarily elevate the container, it could have been accomplished with wood cribbing. Instead they made new steel legs for the container and seem to have attached them to the deck. It is a mystery. Whatever the reason, SpaceX does not spend money aimlessly, and this looks kind of expensive. Not expensive compared to operations as a whole, but expensive.

Matthew

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #1554 on: 12/18/2016 03:42 AM »
This seems quite permanent to me. If there was a need to temporarily elevate the container, it could have been accomplished with wood cribbing. Instead they made new steel legs for the container and seem to have attached them to the deck. It is a mystery. Whatever the reason, SpaceX does not spend money aimlessly, and this looks kind of expensive. Not expensive compared to operations as a whole, but expensive.

Matthew
Especially since containers are made for stacking, and the simplest way to raise a container is to stick another one underneath....  And you get free storage space... 

So whatever the reason, something needs to park there, which does not want to be in a container.

Offline CJ

• Liked: 625
  • Likes Given: 180
« Reply #1555 on: 12/18/2016 07:17 AM »
Especially since containers are made for stacking, and the simplest way to raise a container is to stick another one underneath....  And you get free storage space... 

So whatever the reason, something needs to park there, which does not want to be in a container.

Bolding mine.

When I read your words, a light went off. (WARNING: blatant wild speculation follows) What if that "something" is some sort of robot, perhaps like a Roomba on steroids, that rolls out post landing, scoots under the F9, and has an upward-pointing fire extinguisher to deal with the "post-landing burn" issue? Or... more advanced yet, has some sort of tie-down system (Perhaps 4 small robots that can latch onto the legs and then activate electromagnets to grip the deck?)?

Could that explain why they raised the container, and also why they are doing something to the blast wall in that area? 

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 308
  • Likes Given: 815
« Reply #1556 on: 12/18/2016 07:29 AM »
maybe a place to keep welding equipment/jack stands? could the cherry picker fit?

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #1557 on: 12/18/2016 07:34 AM »

Bolding mine.

When I read your words, a light went off. (WARNING: blatant wild speculation follows) What if that "something" is some sort of robot, perhaps like a Roomba on steroids, that rolls out post landing, scoots under the F9, and has an upward-pointing fire extinguisher to deal with the "post-landing burn" issue? Or... more advanced yet, has some sort of tie-down system (Perhaps 4 small robots that can latch onto the legs and then activate electromagnets to grip the deck?)?

Could that explain why they raised the container, and also why they are doing something to the blast wall in that area?
Yup.  Wanted to keep the wild ideas separate from the quandary, but I can't think of another explanation either...

Which doesn't mean the wild ideas are true of course... Might be something much simpler... 

It has to be important enough to be worth exposing that upper container to a potential blast (does anyone know what's inside it?)

Offline Req

« Reply #1558 on: 12/18/2016 08:08 AM »
I imagine that if the raised container is a permanent feature, the blast wall will be modified to protect it.

Other wild speculation: Handling equipment for vehicle consumables.
« Last Edit: 12/18/2016 08:11 AM by Req »

Offline MarekCyzio

Friday's photo

Tags: