Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 3  (Read 719926 times)

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 530
  • Likes Given: 461
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 3
« Reply #1520 on: 12/12/2016 02:36 PM »
Since they had a lot of trouble with having to manually approach and secure the boosters

Could you elaborate on that? I haven't heard anything about troubles securing the booster on the ASDS.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 1382
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #1521 on: 12/12/2016 02:48 PM »
I believe one reference would be the booster that, due to rough seas, slid all the way to the edge of the pad and possibly was saved from going over the side by the toe rail around the perimeter. I'm sure they had a rather hair raising time welding the mounts under that booster to attach the securing chains to.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Comga

• Liked: 1377
  • Likes Given: 1134
« Reply #1522 on: 12/12/2016 04:48 PM »
ITS tests do seem a bit premature, but it looks like it can be opened ...
Maybe some kind of removable deck so that they can bring in hardware from under the deck ...
Refurbishment streamlining by grabbing and securing the booster ? Maybe even being able to remove or refold the legs at sea ?

Since they had a lot of trouble with having to manually approach and secure the boosters, a robotic approach for safety would seem to be a good idea. Then you just need to protect the relatively sensitive equipment below the deck while landing takes place and if you can open safely, it's relatively easy to grab it from below in a similar manner than what they do on land.

The only way that makes sense is if SpaceX thinks the landing precision will be so high that they could guarantee that an actuated hatch would be under the rocket body and not under a leg. 
Since SpaceX intends to someday land the ITS directly on the launch pad, which would seem to require well better than a meter accuracy, they could be working towards this level of precision for the Falcon 9.
If they just wanted robotic securing systems they would be better to store them under an actuated blast shield.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
« Reply #1523 on: 12/12/2016 05:00 PM »
For ITS pad landing Elon said it would have to have thrusters at the bottom of the booster for fine steer ability. I doubt they would build that into the F9, at least not so soon.

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 530
  • Likes Given: 461
« Reply #1524 on: 12/12/2016 05:01 PM »
For ITS pad landing Elon said it would have to have thrusters at the bottom of the booster for fine steer ability.

Where did he say that?

Offline DOCinCT

@eeergo Thanks a million  :D

It appears that radiators are back on blue power units - they indeed must have cleaned them.
Mufflers are still not on, but now I can be confident that they will put them back on, and that they are not going to update the blue power units.

So I am back to making my model  :)

Attached photos of what I had built so far.
What scale are you modeling in?

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
« Reply #1526 on: 12/12/2016 08:49 PM »
For ITS pad landing Elon said it would have to have thrusters at the bottom of the booster for fine steer ability.

Where did he say that?

He said it during his keynote at the IAC in Mexico in Sept:

And we're also getting quite comfortable with the accuracy of the landing. If you've been watching the Falcon 9 landings, you'll see that they're getting increasingly closer to the bull's-eye. And we think, particularly with the addition of some thrusters, maneuvering thrusters, we can actually put the booster right back on the launch stand. And then those pins at the base are essentially centering features to take out any minor position mismatch at the launch site.

Offline maximlevitsky

• Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 103
« Reply #1527 on: 12/14/2016 06:27 AM »
I am officially making it at 1:100 scale. Making even bigger ship should be really easy but will take space.
Scaling it down to smaller sizes is possible, but will not work well for equipment which is so small that I already have lot of trouble with very small details.

Do you have more pictures of the stern? I want to understand what is going on there  :(

Offline MarekCyzio

I know everybody likes high resolution photos of OCSILY so here is today's view. Lots of activity visible.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 425
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #1529 on: 12/15/2016 02:58 AM »
? Something strange is going on in the center of the ASDS' deck. What gives?

It really does look like they're replacing deck plates under the bull-eye - possibly with something a little more heat-resistant than the standard deck-plate.

1. The orange bollards/barricade and welding gear on deck indicate (to me) that at some point earlier they had welders/oxy-cutting (sparks/flame) in progress.
2. There's a portable workbench and forklift to the left for moving plates around and lifting into position.
3. The new 'plates' have a light grey coating.. mild steel would (ordinarily) be red-oxide primer.

Perhaps they noticed some buckling of the deck plates following the last few landings and decided to address the issue before it affected the deck beams and sub-structure (a more expensive fix).

« Last Edit: 12/15/2016 03:02 AM by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline CJ

• Liked: 620
  • Likes Given: 180
« Reply #1530 on: 12/15/2016 08:14 AM »

It really does look like they're replacing deck plates under the bull-eye - possibly with something a little more heat-resistant than the standard deck-plate.

1. The orange bollards/barricade and welding gear on deck indicate (to me) that at some point earlier they had welders/oxy-cutting (sparks/flame) in progress.
2. There's a portable workbench and forklift to the left for moving plates around and lifting into position.
3. The new 'plates' have a light grey coating.. mild steel would (ordinarily) be red-oxide primer.

Perhaps they noticed some buckling of the deck plates following the last few landings and decided to address the issue before it affected the deck beams and sub-structure (a more expensive fix).

This is probably going to sound nuts, and it's hard to be sure from the pic, but... to me, that new area (the light grey plating) looks like titanium.

My guess... it's either being done just for heat issues, or it's that plus installing something under the deck (perhaps an automated hold-down mechanism?)

I wonder of JRtI is getting the same refit?

Offline JamesH65

• Liked: 451
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1531 on: 12/15/2016 12:02 PM »

This is probably going to sound nuts, and it's hard to be sure from the pic, but... to me, that new area (the light grey plating) looks like titanium.

My guess... it's either being done just for heat issues, or it's that plus installing something under the deck (perhaps an automated hold-down mechanism?)

I wonder of JRtI is getting the same refit?

Or...just painted grey.

Titanium? Why? Hugely expensive and difficult to work. For what benefit? They don't need it to be light - they have plenty of mass margin. In this situation it's no better than thick steel.

Offline MarekCyzio

SpaceX is doing some major remodeling of OCSILY today! Parts of blast wall are gone. Some containers are gone, some are being moved. I have photos but technical issues prevent me from posting them now. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit - this is the best I can do now. Better photos in the evening.
« Last Edit: 12/15/2016 02:59 PM by MarekCyzio »

Offline cscott

• Liked: 1971
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #1533 on: 12/15/2016 03:24 PM »
SpaceX never stand still, do they?
I wonder what's in store?

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6746
  • Likes Given: 4531
« Reply #1534 on: 12/15/2016 03:59 PM »
A picture of a picture, I love it! (PS, you can probably take that protective film off the camera viewfinder, you know)

Thanks Marek. What ARE they up to...
« Last Edit: 12/15/2016 04:00 PM by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline MarekCyzio

Better quality photos

Offline MarekCyzio

GO Quest seems to have some new yellow structure in the back. Whale fishing equipment? ;)
« Last Edit: 12/15/2016 06:49 PM by MarekCyzio »

Offline MarekCyzio

I think they are raising containers to make space for something.

Offline Joaosg

Is that an observation deck and stairs_ Someone at SpaceX beted that they would stand on the barge while the Falcon is landing_ :)

Offline cscott

• Liked: 1971
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #1539 on: 12/15/2016 11:29 PM »
Isn't there some maritime regulations about having a harbor pilot on your barge/ship, even if under tow?  I wonder if that's a spot for the pilot to stand?

I bet those stairs are for the elevated white container, though.  No idea why it was lifted, but the black supports it's on look permanent.  I don't think it's going to end up stacked on anything.

Tags: