Poll

Could the New Shepard be a possible design for a future reusable second stage?

Yes
3 (7.3%)
No
33 (80.5%)
Maybe
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Question: Would it be possible to use Blue Origins "New Shepard" as a 2nd stage?  (Read 2379 times)

I have been pondering if it might be possible that Blue Origin might be designing the New Shepard with an eye to wards using it as a recoverable upper stage with their future heavy lift rockets. I took a quick look at what is known about the New Shepard and compared it to ULA's centaur upper stage and they seemed comparable in the few aspects I could find:

I know enough to know that I have no idea if these factors are enough to suggest this is a possibility but I was hoping that some of the better educated people on this forum might be able to give some purely speculative input.

Thanks!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 10764
  • Likes Given: 321
Mass is too high to be a good upper stage.

Offline ethan829

Even with all the landing hardware removed?

Offline nadreck

It also would need a vacuum optimized engine.
It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 327
  • Likes Given: 536

Plus the aerodynamic control hardware.

Also exchanging the mass from the removal of the landing gears & the aerodynamic control hardware for more propellant with slightly bigger tankage.

Offline hkultala

• Liked: 274
  • Likes Given: 214

Then it would not be reuasable.

And adding a heat shield to make it survive re-entry from orbit would increase the weight even more.
« Last Edit: 02/02/2016 06:19 AM by hkultala »

Offline Paul451

• Australia
  • Liked: 670
  • Likes Given: 565
"Would it be possible to use Blue Origins "New Shepard" as a 2nd stage?"

I assumed that was its purpose.

That BO are building a reusable manned orbital launcher from the top down. First the capsule. Then the hydrolox engine and suborbital test vehicle for a reusable second stage, then a large methalox engine for a reusable first stage.

Tags: