Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 - CRS-8 Dragon - NET April, 2016 - DISCUSSION  (Read 325628 times)

Offline eriblo

• Sweden
  • Liked: 186
  • Likes Given: 116
It seems both the orbital and spacex ISS resupply dates have been moved back a day, CRS8 also dependent on successful SES launch though.
[...]
I don't think it's new information, just timezone shenanigans.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1462
  • Likes Given: 887
Quote from: Jeff Foust
Scimemi: SpaceX CRS-8 launch tentatively scheduled for Mar 30, but yet to be finalized; waiting on when SES-9 launches.

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/705093609410834432
« Last Edit: 03/03/2016 01:25 am by yg1968 »

Offline Toastmastern

• Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 201
Saw a video on SpaceX fangroup on Facebook of what seem to be a refire of the first stage after the accident a few weeks back  :)

here is a link for anyone intressted

https://www.facebook.com/groups/spacexgroup/10154020161831318/

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1864
  • Likes Given: 1910

Interested but not enough to open a facebook account.

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 1022
Is the CRS-8 core at Cape Canaveral?
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Offline WHAP

• Liked: 104
  • Likes Given: 8
Speculation from that Facebook group is that the core in the video is the one for CRS-8.  If they are correct, then the answer to your question is "no".  Never heard details about the accident.
« Last Edit: 03/03/2016 03:50 pm by WHAP »
ULA employee.  My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Offline RLA

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 27
Speculation from that Facebook group is that the core in the video is the one for CRS-8.  If they are correct, then the answer to your question is "no".  Never heard details about the accident.
Lets hope that we get more information soon or later about the mishap.

--
(Edited to remove speculation, because that's what feeds social media and that's where it usually gets misrepresented - Carl, Mod).
« Last Edit: 03/04/2016 04:29 am by Carl G »

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1933
  • Likes Given: 4881
The December NASA Advisory Committee meetings discussed CRS-8 (Spx-8).  Page 12 on the linked pdf.

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/gerstenmaier-heo-tagged.pdf

Working Dragon trunk latch issue
-Piston rod in latch failed

The meetings took place before the mishap with the stage, so that isn't discussed at all.   And I imagine that the note about the failed latch is well out of date now.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Online Chris Bergin

So I've got in from work to some mods pulling this face at me:

<--disclaimer, none of the mods actually look like that, apart from Carl (sorry Carl ;D)

The concern was the CRS-8 core damage info (which we all know about) was becoming more dramatic via people asking questions, people giving part answers, and people making assumptions on that info. I think someone said they worried the stage was damaged via a truck or something...I've missed the mod trim, but no - that was not what happened.

So let me help and then we can all move on.

It happened on the test stand, via a GSE (Ground Support Equipment) error. Not the Stage's fault and thus that's why it didn't impact on SES-9. Nozzles were damaged (not all). Customer (NASA) was told. SpaceX don't want to talk about it, as is their right (and was qualified by a NASA guy who mentioned a different company that had a big test incident and no one ever got to know about it). SpaceX suffer a bit via their fame as they only have to sneeze and its legions of fans want to know about it. An Antares (well Orbital) blows up a NK-33 on a Stennis test stand and there's interest, but far less, as an example.

I assume this has all come back up in conversation because of the Facebook video, but that's cool as it points to this Stage back to good working order and this would be within the schedule to get to the Cape for the current launch date target.
« Last Edit: 03/04/2016 01:16 pm by Chris Bergin »

Online tleski

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 397

Interested but not enough to open a facebook account.

Here is the video for those who don't want to open a Facbook account:

http://1drv.ms/1QxyRMx

Credit: Keth Wallace, SpaceX Facebook group.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1005
  • Likes Given: 140
If this launch is March 30, and Progress launches March 31:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39625.0

Is there really no conflict there with ISS operations, keep out zones, etc.?

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 664
  • Likes Given: 777
I'm not sure. CRS Dragons have been kept in parking orbits for a couple of days to let other vehicles move in and out around the ISS, so there is no hypothetical problem in launching the vehicle into a parallel orbit and then waiting a couple of days for MCC to give an all clear to commence approach and berthing.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Online vaporcobra

• Tacoma, WA
  • Liked: 2649
  • Likes Given: 2854
If this launch is March 30, and Progress launches March 31:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39625.0

Is there really no conflict there with ISS operations, keep out zones, etc.?

It must be said that it is highly unlikely for the NET 3/30 to hold over the next few weeks. Not only is a Progress to be launched on 3/31, but a Cygnus is supposed to launch on 3/22 or 3/23. I believe that the ISS has 6 total ports, with 4 being the maximum number of free ports at any time, as two Soyuz vehicles are kept docked at all times in case of emergency. So, technically, it is possible for another Russian vehicle and two U.S. vehicles to dock at the moment.

Offline virnin

• Kansas
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 42
I'm not sure. CRS Dragons have been kept in parking orbits for a couple of days to let other vehicles move in and out around the ISS, so there is no hypothetical problem in launching the vehicle into a parallel orbit and then waiting a couple of days for MCC to give an all clear to commence approach and berthing.

The Progress should follow the "same day" 6 hour launch to docking profile so the Dragon would arrive the following day.  If Cygnus launches on time, the US crew in the ISS would have almost a week to transfer the berthing camera from one port to the other.  It would be very busy up there but doable since they will be at full strength after Jeff, Oleg and Alexey launch on March 18.

Offline vanoord

• Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 78
Andrew Rader (@marsrader) on Twitter:

How you put a Dragon on a Falcon

CRS-8? Can't see the grid fins, but they may be be obscured. Legs are (just about) visible.

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 1890
  • Likes Given: 425
That's an image from CRS-4 3.
« Last Edit: 03/09/2016 06:19 pm by ugordan »

Offline vanoord

• Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 78
Ahhh, a reverse image search suggests CRS-3. Wonder what inspired him to tweet that now?

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1791
  • Likes Given: 3387
Has anyone heard or seen any indications whether or not SpaceX plans to do an RTLS recovery on CRS-8's S1?  I'd have to believe an RTLS is within the envelope of the latest F9 (notice I didn't give it a version number or anything... ;) ) considering the difference in total LEO capability between the latest F9 and the rocket used on prior CRS flights.

I haven't seen the customary links to radio frequency clearances and references to FAA and FCC approvals, etc., that we normally get three to four weeks prior to a scheduled launch, so I figured I'd ask...
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Online schaban

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 25
for what it worth, there is no barge on the patch for CRD-8 @ reddit...

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 3716
  • Likes Given: 208

Tags: