Author Topic: Falcon 9 landing config 3d model  (Read 3059 times)

Online samoo

• Slovakia
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 29
Falcon 9 landing config 3d model
« on: 01/18/2016 12:15 pm »
Hi,

me and my colleagues would like to 3D print model of Falcon 9 with extended legs and grid fins. Does anyone know of decent model which we can use?

Thank you

Offline WBY1984

• Liked: 143
  • Likes Given: 116
Re: Falcon 9 landing config 3d model
« Reply #1 on: 01/18/2016 12:19 pm »
If there are no models forthcoming, may I suggest downloading a free modelling app like Blender and learning that. Falcon 9 is not a complex shape in the grand scheme of things (hey even dullards like me can do this sort of thing) and modelling can be fun.
« Last Edit: 01/18/2016 12:19 pm by WBY1984 »

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 728
« Reply #2 on: 01/18/2016 02:54 pm »
Hi,

me and my colleagues would like to 3D print model of Falcon 9 with extended legs and grid fins. Does anyone know of decent model which we can use?

Thank you

starting point
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=29378.msg1437835#msg1437835

someone in the world has probably done one you just need to search.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Online samoo

• Slovakia
« Reply #3 on: 01/18/2016 03:17 pm »
Yes, we've realized this. So we are now working on accurate 3D model, but we are looking for some blueprints with size information so we can get it right.

If there are no models forthcoming, may I suggest downloading a free modelling app like Blender and learning that. Falcon 9 is not a complex shape in the grand scheme of things (hey even dullards like me can do this sort of thing) and modelling can be fun.

Offline Hobbes-22

• Acme Engineering
    • Acme Engineering
  • Liked: 161
  • Likes Given: 105
« Reply #4 on: 01/18/2016 05:03 pm »
There are a few models of the F9 floating around on Thingiverse and similar sites:
 https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=falcon+9&sa=

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 871
  • Likes Given: 6791
« Reply #5 on: 01/18/2016 08:01 pm »
And do post your results when you find them.  Best model for easiest-to-make or cheapest-to-make in a 3d printer.

In the meantime, I'm really surprised by the dearth of Falcon 9 looking toys for kids age 3 to 10.  Anyone know of a good source, please post that as well.
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Offline Hobbes-22

• Acme Engineering
    • Acme Engineering
« Reply #6 on: 01/19/2016 06:00 am »
Cheapest to make is going to be a hybrid: PVC tube for the body, printed parts for the rest.

Online samoo

• Slovakia
« Reply #7 on: 01/19/2016 09:20 am »
So far we've found this http://zlsa.github.io and it looks cool, but we must first review under what license is this guy releasing it.

We will be probably building upon this.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 728
« Reply #8 on: 01/19/2016 01:52 pm »
So far we've found this http://zlsa.github.io and it looks cool, but we must first review under what license is this guy releasing it.

looks like going the donation ware route
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Hobbes-22

• Acme Engineering
    • Acme Engineering
« Reply #9 on: 01/19/2016 03:23 pm »

That was made in Blender, and will require at least checking to make sure it's printable (watertight mesh), and it probably needs changes to get the wall thicknesses to a printable size.

Online samoo

• Slovakia
« Reply #10 on: 01/19/2016 03:26 pm »

That was made in Blender, and will require at least checking to make sure it's printable (watertight mesh), and it probably needs changes to get the wall thicknesses to a printable size.

Yes, our colleague who is blender-pro is now animating few more features and soon we will move to making it printable. We want to do it in parts, so legs and fins separately, and also strongback in few peaces :) We will share our model when we are done ;)

Tags: