Author Topic: Boeing's CST-100 - Master Updates and Discussion Thread 3  (Read 253003 times)

Offline Brovane

• United States
  • Liked: 631
  • Likes Given: 1200
Re: Boeing's CST-100 - Master Updates and Discussion Thread 3
« Reply #540 on: 04/05/2019 07:26 pm »
It's disapointing NASA chose to blame ULA instead of putting the blame where it belongs...on Boeing.

I've dealt with a division of Boeing for the past eight years. During this time, the contractor has continually failed to meet schedule and in some cases performance. The part that speaks to the Corporate attitude is the same as what has been demonstrated with Commercial Crew. They pretend development and testing are proceeding according to plan, even when all indicators trend in the opposite direction.

The press releases are, in my opinion, given with the intent of indicating all is on track.

NASA's action appears to put it bluntly....be sucking up to Boeing. Would the same have been done for a different company?

My apologies for the tirade...very dissapointed in how this played out.

Did NASA choose to blame ULA or did Boeing?

https://spacenews.com/boeing-delays-starliner-test-flights/

In the statement, Boeing said it had entered the “final phases of production” of the Starliner that will fly that uncrewed test flight. “Our Starliner team continues to press toward a launch readiness date later this spring,” the company said, which also included the completion of a final set of testing milestones.

Boeing, though, said the issue was a pad conflict with the Advanced Extremely High Frequency (AEHF) 5 military communications satellite, scheduled to launch in late June on another Atlas 5 from the same pad. Boeing said they had only a two-day launch window in May available for the Starliner launch before they would have to stand down for the AEHF-5 launch.

This to me makes it sound like Boeing is the one blaming ULA and NASA is just passing along information that Boeing is giving them.   

ULA is being the good soldier for Boeing and taking the fall.  Between the bad press for the 737MAX issues and the KC-46 tanker issues.  Somebody high up at Boeing made the decision that ULA would take the blame for these delays.  I bet privately Bruno is frakked but he is smart enough to keep his mouth shut because he likes his job. 
"Look at that! If anybody ever said, "you'll be sitting in a spacecraft naked with a 134-pound backpack on your knees charging it", I'd have said "Aw, get serious". - John Young - Apollo-16

Online SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
  • Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #541 on: 04/05/2019 09:17 pm »
It's disapointing NASA chose to blame ULA instead of putting the blame where it belongs...on Boeing.

I've dealt with a division of Boeing for the past eight years. During this time, the contractor has continually failed to meet schedule and in some cases performance. The part that speaks to the Corporate attitude is the same as what has been demonstrated with Commercial Crew. They pretend development and testing are proceeding according to plan, even when all indicators trend in the opposite direction.

The press releases are, in my opinion, given with the intent of indicating all is on track.

NASA's action appears to put it bluntly....be sucking up to Boeing. Would the same have been done for a different company?

My apologies for the tirade...very dissapointed in how this played out.

Did NASA choose to blame ULA or did Boeing?

https://spacenews.com/boeing-delays-starliner-test-flights/

In the statement, Boeing said it had entered the “final phases of production” of the Starliner that will fly that uncrewed test flight. “Our Starliner team continues to press toward a launch readiness date later this spring,” the company said, which also included the completion of a final set of testing milestones.

Boeing, though, said the issue was a pad conflict with the Advanced Extremely High Frequency (AEHF) 5 military communications satellite, scheduled to launch in late June on another Atlas 5 from the same pad. Boeing said they had only a two-day launch window in May available for the Starliner launch before they would have to stand down for the AEHF-5 launch.

This to me makes it sound like Boeing is the one blaming ULA and NASA is just passing along information that Boeing is giving them.   

ULA is being the good soldier for Boeing and taking the fall.  Between the bad press for the 737MAX issues and the KC-46 tanker issues.  Somebody high up at Boeing made the decision that ULA would take the blame for these delays.  I bet privately Bruno is frakked but he is smart enough to keep his mouth shut because he likes his job.

That's not even blaming ULA.  That's literally just another customer getting priority because they are ready to fly and have a schedule to meet.  Nothing about this statement faults ULA for anything.

Offline Yeknom-Ecaps

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #542 on: 04/05/2019 11:00 pm »
Anyone know the date of the Yuma PG drop test in February? Thanks.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8718
  • Likes Given: 7351
« Reply #543 on: 04/07/2019 02:48 am »
As much fun as bashing Boeing might be[1], let's dial it back please.

1 - see my FB, for example...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 9152
  • Likes Given: 3130
« Reply #544 on: 04/10/2019 02:15 pm »
https://twitter.com/BoeingSpace/status/1115981000948035584

#Starliner's advanced docking system gives it more flexibility to approach the @Space_Station along the best course. Check out this range of motion testing on the spacecraft that will fly the Orbital Flight Test later this year. #35SS #SpaceSymposium

Online SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
« Reply #545 on: 04/10/2019 03:19 pm »
https://twitter.com/BoeingSpace/status/1115981000948035584

#Starliner's advanced docking system gives it more flexibility to approach the @Space_Station along the best course. Check out this range of motion testing on the spacecraft that will fly the Orbital Flight Test later this year. #35SS #SpaceSymposium

I had a chance to witness a few tests of this system at JSC Building 9 a couple years back.  It's got some cool features that help expand the envelope of acceptable attitude, position, and velocity errors (beyond what a simple passive shock absorbing system can do) that will result in a successful docking.

Offline rliebman

• Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #546 on: 04/10/2019 03:43 pm »
is this different from or the same as the interface being used by the crewed dragon?
something like the 'NASA docking standard"

Offline jarmumd

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #547 on: 04/10/2019 04:21 pm »
is this different from or the same as the interface being used by the crewed dragon?
something like the 'NASA docking standard"

When you say interface, yes, all docking systems compliant with the IDSS/NDS spec have the same "interface" with ISS/IDA. 

SpaceX and CST-100/Orion use different docking systems. 

SpaceX uses some of the Nasa Docking System (NDS) components but has a spring/damper (passive) attenuation/retraction system.

CST-100/Orion use Boeing's also named Nasa Docking System - Block 1 (NDSB1), which has linear electro-mechanical actuators for attenuation and retraction.

Offline PahTo

• Seattle
  • Liked: 186
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #548 on: 04/10/2019 06:02 pm »
Speaking of, and not to wander too far OT, when is the next IDA (IDA3) set to launch?

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 4112
  • Likes Given: 2344
« Reply #549 on: 04/10/2019 08:23 pm »
Speaking of, and not to wander too far OT, when is the next IDA (IDA3) set to launch?

Last I've seen was July on SpX-18.

Online Chris Bergin

Everything's wonderful in StarlinerLand. (Insert "Sure Jan" gif).

https://twitter.com/BoeingSpace/status/1116753926756257792

Offline zack

• Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #551 on: 04/12/2019 07:27 pm »
Which Starliner is this one anyway? Last they posted pictures from March, where the one for the August flight was still being assembled.

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 394
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #552 on: 04/12/2019 07:38 pm »
Which Starliner is this one anyway? Last they posted pictures from March, where the one for the August flight was still being assembled.

Sounds like this is the CFT vehicle.

No idea on the status of the OFT vehicle.

I know we can't expect the glorious all-access pass we had with Shuttle, but it's frustrating that we can't reliable status updates on this taxpayer funded civilian mission in what really should be the home stretch.

Offline ReturnTrajectory

• Houston, TX
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #553 on: 04/15/2019 02:19 am »

I know we can't expect the glorious all-access pass we had with Shuttle, but it's frustrating that we can't reliable status updates on this taxpayer funded civilian mission in what really should be the home stretch.

This is the CFT vehicle that underwent EQT.  OFT vehicle is undergoing assembly and test for flight in August. 

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 6361
  • Likes Given: 2192
« Reply #554 on: 04/15/2019 06:55 am »

This is the CFT vehicle that underwent EQT.  OFT vehicle is undergoing assembly and test for flight in August. 

Yes folks. You read that correctly. Boeing actually first built the vehicle that goes flying second. The vehicle that goes flying first is the second one to be built.

And that has bitten them in the *ss recently.

Online SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
« Reply #555 on: 04/15/2019 04:58 pm »
And that has bitten them in the *ss recently.

[citation needed]

The plan was most likely in place because there some work that needs to be done to deconfigure for EQT and reconfigure for CFT (mostly removal of instrumentation and wiring unnecessary for flight, adding in hardware that wasn't necessary for qual test, etc.)

You run some risk of discovering something at EQT that makes you have to do rework on the OFT vehicle, but that's not a whole lot different from using the OFT vehicle for EQT.

Online Chris Bergin

I think we need a new Starliner thread (it's long as it is) and a new CCP thread (very long) so we can have a fresh start with the extra focus that allows. Probably update only and discussion only for Starliner now as one would hope there will be more updates coming given OFT isn't supposed to be far away.

Will do that shortly.
« Last Edit: 04/15/2019 10:49 pm by Chris Bergin »

Online Chris Bergin

New thread, now discussion. Will be a new standalone update thread too.

Thread 4:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=47916.0
« Last Edit: 04/16/2019 03:23 pm by Chris Bergin »

Tags: