Author Topic: LIVE: Delta IV-H - NROL-37 - Canaveral SLC-37B - June 11, 2016  (Read 109232 times)

Offline kdhilliard

  • Full Member
  • **
  • Posts: 228
  • Kirk
  • Tanstaa, FL
  • Liked: 243
  • Likes Given: 651
Re: ULA Delta IV-H - NROL-37 - Canaveral SLC-37B - June 9, 2016
« Reply #40 on: 06/04/2016 11:23 AM »
From the 45th Space Wing: http://www.patrick.af.mil/
  Launch Vehicle: Delta IV NROL
  Date: June 9, 2016 (Thursday)
  Launch Time: TBD

Offline jacqmans

  • Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 17377
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 3114
  • Likes Given: 191
Re: ULA Delta IV-H - NROL-37 - Canaveral SLC-37B - June 9, 2016
« Reply #41 on: 06/06/2016 02:20 PM »
Want to view a Delta IV Heavy rocket launch this week?!

Tickets for LC-39 Observation Gantry at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex are on sale now! Launch Viewing/Transportation Tickets to LC-39 Observation Gantry are available for $49, in addition to daily admission. Other viewing areas are included with daily admission.

How to purchase tickets: https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/events/2016/june/launch-ula-delta-iv-heavy-nrol-37.aspx

Offline satwatcher

  • Full Member
  • *
  • Posts: 128
  • Liked: 88
  • Likes Given: 85
Re: ULA Delta IV-H - NROL-37 - Canaveral SLC-37B - June 9, 2016
« Reply #42 on: 06/06/2016 02:59 PM »
Broadcast warning areas confirm it is a geostationary launch.

Offline jacqmans

  • Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 17377
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 3114
  • Likes Given: 191

Offline Graham

  • Full Member
  • **
  • Posts: 220
  • Aerospace Engineer
  • New York
  • Liked: 215
  • Likes Given: 113
Re: ULA Delta IV-H - NROL-37 - Canaveral SLC-37B - June 9, 2016
« Reply #44 on: 06/06/2016 03:10 PM »
http://www.patrick.af.mil/Portals/14/documents/Weather/DIV%20NROL-37%20L-3%20Launch%20Weather%20Forecast%20for%209%20June%20launch.pdf?ver=2016-06-06-085827-717
For the sake of having it in the thread- Launch day has a 60% chance of violation due to thunderstorms. A 48 hour delay is much better, only a 20% chance of violation.
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night
- Sarah Williams

Offline Pat1337

  • Member
  • Posts: 1
  • Pennsylvania, United States
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: ULA Delta IV-H - NROL-37 - Canaveral SLC-37B - June 9, 2016
« Reply #45 on: 06/06/2016 10:15 PM »
Is the LC-39 the closest viewing for this launch? Is the causeway not open for this one?

Offline flyright

  • Full Member
  • *
  • Posts: 135
  • Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 145
  • Likes Given: 258
Re: ULA Delta IV-H - NROL-37 - Canaveral SLC-37B - June 9, 2016
« Reply #46 on: 06/06/2016 11:29 PM »
Is the LC-39 the closest viewing for this launch? Is the causeway not open for this one?

I asked the same question from KSC VC Guest Services this morning and was told the LC-39 Observation Gantry was the closest available for this launch.

Offline jacqmans

  • Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 17377
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 3114
  • Likes Given: 191
Re: ULA Delta IV-H - NROL-37 - Canaveral SLC-37B - June 9, 2016
« Reply #47 on: 06/07/2016 07:50 AM »
official update per ULA:

 – everything is progressing towards the Delta IV NROL-37 launch in support of national defense. The mission is set to lift off on a ULA Delta IV rocket on Thursday, June 9 from Space Launch Complex 37 (SLC-37) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The launch time is 1:59 p.m. EDT. Today’s L-3 forecast shows a 40 percent chance of favorable weather conditions for launch. "

Offline Star One

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 9395
  • UK
  • Liked: 1689
  • Likes Given: 183
ULA Delta IV-H - NROL-37 - Canaveral SLC-37B - June 9, 2016
« Reply #48 on: 06/07/2016 03:59 PM »
The payload is the seventh Advanced Orion according to SN.

This interesting snippet from the article. The Heavy will not be flying again until 2018 with Solar Probe Plus.

Quote
United Launch Alliance intends to retire the single-stick Medium configurations of the Delta 4 by early 2019. But the Heavy vehicle will continue to serve the national security niche market into the 2020s.

Technicians at the ULA factory in Decatur, Alabama, will build and stockpile the cores for several Heavy vehicles before the Medium’s retirement. Making the rockets now, then allowing the entire assembly line to shut down and simply storing the Heavy vehicles is the economic way to go, officials said.

http://spaceflightnow.com/2016/06/07/surveillance-satellite-launching-thursday-atop-delta-4-heavy-rocket/
« Last Edit: 06/07/2016 04:17 PM by Star One »

Online abaddon

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1687
  • Liked: 1147
  • Likes Given: 981
Re: ULA Delta IV-H - NROL-37 - Canaveral SLC-37B - June 9, 2016
« Reply #49 on: 06/07/2016 08:07 PM »
Bummer, if it goes off as scheduled I'm going to be boarding a plane at the time... will have to catch the replay I guess.  Looks like the better opportunity (weather-wise) is Saturday, though.
« Last Edit: 06/07/2016 08:09 PM by abaddon »

Offline Graham

  • Full Member
  • **
  • Posts: 220
  • Aerospace Engineer
  • New York
  • Liked: 215
  • Likes Given: 113
Re: ULA Delta IV-H - NROL-37 - Canaveral SLC-37B - June 9, 2016
« Reply #50 on: 06/08/2016 12:45 PM »
Updated forecast. Not any better all around. Still a 60% chance of violation on Thursday, and Saturday has worsened to a 40% chance of violation. The concern on both days remains thunderstorms.
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night
- Sarah Williams

Offline jacqmans

  • Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 17377
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 3114
  • Likes Given: 191
« Last Edit: 06/08/2016 01:49 PM by jacqmans »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6348
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 5864
  • Likes Given: 1696
Re: ULA Delta IV-H - NROL-37 - Canaveral SLC-37B - June 9, 2016
« Reply #52 on: 06/08/2016 03:59 PM »
Quote
NRO ‏@NatReconOfc 29m29 minutes ago

A @ulalaunch #DeltaIV Heavy rocket will launch #NROL37. @45thSpaceWing @AFSpace @AF_SMC @usairforce

https://twitter.com/NatReconOfc/status/740566522544984064

Offline jacqmans

  • Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 17377
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 3114
  • Likes Given: 191
Re: ULA Delta IV-H - NROL-37 - Canaveral SLC-37B - June 9, 2016
« Reply #53 on: 06/08/2016 04:02 PM »
June 8, 2016

MEDIA ADVISORY
RELEASE #060816

Launch Window Opens: 1:59 p.m. June 9

45th SW to support Delta IV NROL-37 launch
By 45th Space Wing Public Affairs

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. - The 45th Space Wing will support
the United Launch Alliance Delta IV-Heavy NROL-37 launch June 9 from Launch
Complex 37B here with a launch window opening at 1:59 p.m. ET.

The ULA Delta IV rocket is carrying a national security payload for the U.S.
National Reconnaissance Office. The largest of the Delta IV family, the
Heavy version features three Common Booster Cores mounted together to form a
triple-body rocket.

Online William Graham

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4198
  • Liked: 201
  • Likes Given: 86
Re: ULA Delta IV-H - NROL-37 - Canaveral SLC-37B - June 9, 2016
« Reply #54 on: 06/08/2016 10:58 PM »
Do we know if the metallic or composite fairing is being used? Previous Orion satellites have used the metallic (Titan) one.

Offline Jim

  • Night Gator
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 32329
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 10983
  • Likes Given: 326
Re: ULA Delta IV-H - NROL-37 - Canaveral SLC-37B - June 9, 2016
« Reply #55 on: 06/08/2016 11:47 PM »
Do we know if the metallic or composite fairing is being used? Previous Orion satellites have used the metallic (Titan) one.

I would say metallic
« Last Edit: 06/08/2016 11:50 PM by Jim »

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Moved for live coverage!
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Offline Targeteer

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3814
  • near hangar 18
  • Liked: 949
  • Likes Given: 460
The NRO explanation of the patch

The #NROL37 mission patch depicts a knight, a symbol of courage with a chivalrous code of conduct representing bravery, training, and service to others. The knight stands in front of the U.S. flag in a defensive posture as to protect at all cost. The eagle on the chest is a symbol of both freedom and the United States of America. The sword is a message of tenacious, fierce focus with the claws representing extreme reach with global coverage.

https://www.facebook.com/NationalReconnaissanceOffice/photos/
a.1544403572457698.1073741828.1442712095960180/1812294652335254/?type=3&theater
« Last Edit: 06/09/2016 12:19 PM by Chris Bergin »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Graham

  • Full Member
  • **
  • Posts: 220
  • Aerospace Engineer
  • New York
  • Liked: 215
  • Likes Given: 113
Launch day forecast. No changes for today, or the 48 hour delay. 40% chance of cooperative weather today, still concerned about thunderstorms.
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night
- Sarah Williams

Offline Star One

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 9395
  • UK
  • Liked: 1689
  • Likes Given: 183
LIVE: Delta IV-H - NROL-37 - Canaveral SLC-37B - June 9, 2016
« Reply #59 on: 06/09/2016 12:02 PM »
I presume will not hear the outcome on this for some while as from past Orion launches they appear to have a lengthy trek uphill.
« Last Edit: 06/09/2016 12:03 PM by Star One »

Tags: