Author Topic: Refurbishment of Used Stages/Vehicles  (Read 210268 times)

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4657
  • Likes Given: 884
Re: Refurbishment of Used Stages/Vehicles
« Reply #480 on: 08/21/2016 11:21 PM »
If doesn't have to launch again, there are descent outdoor paints at home depot...
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1331
  • Likes Given: 1561
« Reply #481 on: 08/22/2016 01:27 AM »
If doesn't have to launch again, there are descent outdoor paints at home depot...

Well, it's certainly the descent paints they'll be looking for!  :)
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Online meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #482 on: 08/22/2016 01:46 AM »
ouch.

Offline JMS

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #483 on: 08/22/2016 04:19 AM »
Am I reading these reports correctly that this stage is supported only by the landing legs? Seems there should be something more substantial for long term display.

Offline LastStarFighter

• Europa
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #484 on: 08/22/2016 04:38 AM »
Am I reading these reports correctly that this stage is supported only by the landing legs? Seems there should be something more substantial for long term display.

Which reports? The images (linked earlier) seem to show Jack stands.

http://lhopkins.com/2016/08/20/first-stage-installation-day/

Offline JMS

« Reply #485 on: 08/22/2016 04:57 AM »
On their facebook page, it was stated that the jacks were removed once the legs were in place.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 359
  • Likes Given: 570
« Reply #486 on: 08/22/2016 06:14 AM »

Why Home Depot? There must be someone at the SX CTO's side business at Fremont that have some expertise in outdoor paints for external metal surfaces. :P

Online meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #487 on: 08/22/2016 06:26 AM »

Why Home Depot? There must be someone at the SX CTO's side business at Fremont that have some expertise in outdoor paints for external metal surfaces.
There you go...

I just didn't understand the worry about the paint job.

Bird shit, ok, that I get.  Maybe one of those magic no-stick coatings you see on youTube will help....  I always wondered if they work on non-youTube birds...

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2017
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #488 on: 08/22/2016 07:41 AM »

Why Home Depot? There must be someone at the SX CTO's side business at Fremont that have some expertise in outdoor paints for external metal surfaces. :P

Why indeed; Lowe's and Target are across Crenshaw from their HQ ;)
DM

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 4741
  • Likes Given: 1501
« Reply #489 on: 08/22/2016 08:17 AM »
If the legs alone are good enough for absorbing the impact of landing and subsequently keeping the stage upright on a rolling platform in a gusty sea then they should be more than good enough for keeping the stage upright on a solid piece of concrete in Hawthorne. All that needs to be done is to anchor the legs to the ground.

Offline IntoTheVoid

• USA
  • Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #490 on: 08/22/2016 12:52 PM »
If the legs alone are good enough for absorbing the impact of landing and subsequently keeping the stage upright on a rolling platform in a gusty sea then they should be more than good enough for keeping the stage upright on a solid piece of concrete in Hawthorne. All that needs to be done is to anchor the legs to the ground.

Perhaps, but they're not good enough for "keeping the stage upright on a rolling platform in a gusty sea" which is why they use the jacks and weld them to the deck ASAP after landing.

Offline RedSky

• Veteran
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #491 on: 08/22/2016 01:52 PM »
Not sure why all the worry about paint, weather, and lightning, etc.  Except for earthquakes, the LA Area is a far more benign environment than Florida.  KSC has 6 months of extreme humidity, near constant aerosol salt spray,  frequent high thunderstorm winds, torrential downpours,  lots of lightning, and an occasional Tropical Storm or Hurricane, and they manage to keep the Rocket Garden display looking good:

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 5318
  • Likes Given: 332
« Reply #492 on: 08/22/2016 02:41 PM »

Perhaps, but they're not good enough for "keeping the stage upright on a rolling platform in a gusty sea" which is why they use the jacks and weld them to the deck ASAP after landing.

The first stage to land on a barge wouldn't have survived if that was true. It was pitching and rolling in the wind pretty good during and after landing. They obviously weren't going to tow it in like that, but the legs did the job until the crew got there to anchor it.
 Granted, there might still be reasons you wouldn't want to leave the stage solely on the legs permanently.
« Last Edit: 08/22/2016 02:44 PM by Nomadd »

Online oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 1331
« Reply #493 on: 08/22/2016 03:02 PM »

Granted, there might still be reasons you wouldn't want to leave the stage solely on the legs permanently.
It wouldn't 'look right' if it were supported by jack stands.

Offline RedSky

• Veteran
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #494 on: 08/22/2016 04:26 PM »
First good pic I've seen of it standing on its own legs with the engines in plain view (i.e., no jacks):

Offline IntoTheVoid

• USA
  • Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #495 on: 08/22/2016 04:44 PM »

The first stage to land on a barge wouldn't have survived if that was true. It was pitching and rolling in the wind pretty good during and after landing. They obviously weren't going to tow it in like that, but the legs did the job until the crew got there to anchor it.
The one that skittered across the deck demonstrated that the legs themselves are insufficient to secure the stage at sea. "Until the crew got there" is not "keeping", that's the point. Sure the legs are good to land on and hold it up, but they are not intended to be the sole support at sea.

The legs alone may well be sufficient for Hawthorne, but the fact that they were landed on at sea, (and then given help ASAP) is insufficient justification to say so.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7277
  • Likes Given: 5080
« Reply #496 on: 08/22/2016 04:46 PM »
my worry is not whether they can take the load now but rather if they can take the load continuously for years and years, as the materials deteriorate.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2017
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #497 on: 08/22/2016 04:59 PM »
Odds are the legs and mounts are "rigidified" and their feet bolted to the slab.
DM

Online meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #498 on: 08/22/2016 05:42 PM »
Odds are the legs and mounts are "rigidified" and their feet bolted to the slab.

That's a fairly safe bet....

Offline JMS

« Reply #499 on: 08/22/2016 06:26 PM »
Interesting that I did see on one of the close-up shots of the struts... on the ground prior to installation, that they were marked "flown articles."

Tags: