Author Topic: Refurbishment of Used Stages/Vehicles  (Read 208162 times)

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1295
  • Likes Given: 1686
Re: Refurbishment of Used Stages/Vehicles
« Reply #440 on: 06/14/2016 08:36 PM »
Remember, the engines always point towards the launch pad.
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline simonbp

« Reply #441 on: 06/14/2016 09:01 PM »
On the subject of TPS, we have confirmation from The Roadie posting in another thread that yes, the interstage is covered in (painted) cork:

I've seen cork being applied to the interstage on a Hawthorne tour. Also the logo and American flag being painted on using rollers and a stencil, not as I expected, an adhesive sticker.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40393.msg1547806#msg1547806

And matthewkantar made a good point about why there would be cork on the (composite) interstage but not the (aluminum) tanks:

Composites are generally heat intolerant as far as I know, so TPS on the interstage.

I can report from a factory tour in 2007(!) that the later Falcon 1s were covered in cork, presumably as TPS for recovery.

Offline OpelGT

• Minnesota, USA
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #442 on: 06/14/2016 10:20 PM »
https://twitter.com/SpaceKSCBlog/status/742062804761448449
Looks like a landed stage is on the move.  Headed to McGregor?

Stephen Smith indicates it is NOT the cleaned up stage from the "Fantastic Four" picture.
Any update or sightings of used rockets at Hawthorne, CA or McGregor, TX?

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2510
  • Likes Given: 522
« Reply #443 on: 06/14/2016 11:30 PM »
https://twitter.com/SpaceKSCBlog/status/742062804761448449
Looks like a landed stage is on the move.  Headed to McGregor?

Stephen Smith indicates it is NOT the cleaned up stage from the "Fantastic Four" picture.
Any update or sightings of used rockets at Hawthorne, CA or McGregor, TX?

Maybe too early yet. Someone reported seeing a stage westbound in Pensacola yesterday (13th), possibly the same one reported leaving the Cape very early that morning:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40510.msg1549000#msg1549000

Maybe also the same one Stephen Smith tweeted about on the 12th, and the pic with the hangar door open wasn't because they were leaving that day, just backing the truck in for loading? So maybe that one didn't actually leave until early 13th per the above post.
« Last Edit: 06/14/2016 11:55 PM by Kabloona »

Online The Roadie

• San Diego
  • Liked: 2102
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #444 on: 06/17/2016 09:26 PM »
ORBCOMM2 - 021 has been spotted on I-8 entering California by Facebook group members Genesis Adam and Tracy Black
Added: Although it's odd that all the engines look to be there under the tarp. Hmmm.
« Last Edit: 06/17/2016 09:30 PM by The Roadie »
"A human being should be able to...plan an invasion..conn a ship..solve equations, analyze a new problem..program a computer, cook a tasty meal.."-RAH

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #445 on: 06/17/2016 10:00 PM »
ORBCOMM2 - 021 has been spotted on I-8 entering California by Facebook group members Genesis Adam and Tracy Black
Added: Although it's odd that all the engines look to be there under the tarp. Hmmm.

Must have put them all back in for display.

Online The Roadie

• San Diego
  • Liked: 2102
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #446 on: 06/17/2016 11:58 PM »
At one point they were all removed. But the HIF is a better place to reinstall them than Jack Northrop Ave.
"A human being should be able to...plan an invasion..conn a ship..solve equations, analyze a new problem..program a computer, cook a tasty meal.."-RAH

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #447 on: 06/18/2016 12:07 AM »
I think from the high-res images of the landed stages any unbiased engineer would say that they are either already can be reused with minor refurb, or that first stage design will need only minor tweaks to make that possible.
The stages are clearly not heavily damaged.

Form what I can see LEO mission stages likely can be reused but GTO ones seem to take a fair amount of damage.

« Last Edit: 06/18/2016 12:11 AM by Patchouli »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 7913
  • Likes Given: 5269
« Reply #448 on: 06/18/2016 12:34 AM »
I think from the high-res images of the landed stages any unbiased engineer would say that they are either already can be reused with minor refurb, or that first stage design will need only minor tweaks to make that possible.
The stages are clearly not heavily damaged.

Form what I can see LEO mission stages likely can be reused but GTO ones seem to take a fair amount of damage.
It's high velocity entry that is the challenge. You could have high velocity entry from LEO, too, if you were near the edge of the rocket's performance. Likewise you could have a fairly benign entry from GTO if the payload were small.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline OpelGT

• Minnesota, USA
« Reply #449 on: 06/18/2016 04:06 AM »
ORBCOMM2 - 021 has been spotted on I-8 entering California by Facebook members Genesis Adam and Tracy Black

Here's Genesis Adam‎'s video of transport truck with rocket in Phoenix/Chandler area
https://www.facebook.com/GenesisAB/videos/10209376361107927/

PS If they got out of traffic they should be near Hawthorne about now 9pm PST (4a UTC)
« Last Edit: 06/18/2016 04:07 AM by OpelGT »

Online cartman

• Greece
  • Liked: 485
  • Likes Given: 2504
« Reply #450 on: 06/19/2016 01:11 AM »
more images from Facebook group members Genesis Adam and Tracy Black

Offline OpelGT

• Minnesota, USA
« Reply #451 on: 06/20/2016 03:29 AM »
The 1st stage on the truck that was spotted in Arizona has made it back to the factory in Hawthorne CA!
Looks like it must be the F9-021 core from the Orbcomm-2 landing.

Click on link to see pictures http://imgur.com/a/bu62W

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #452 on: 06/20/2016 09:00 AM »
The 1st stage on the truck that was spotted in Arizona has made it back to the factory in Hawthorne CA!

A truck bringing a flown booster back to the factory. I know, I know... museum piece. Still, that seems just... wrong.  ;D

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4465
  • Likes Given: 870
« Reply #453 on: 06/20/2016 08:54 PM »

A truck bringing a flown booster back to the factory. I know, I know... museum piece. Still, that seems just... wrong.  ;D

I know, right?

And what makes it even more suspicious is that the truck BACKED into the dock.

Get it?

They are playing us an old video in reverse!!!

(Sorry, just watched a YouTube that proved the whole "SpaceX thing" is a hoax.  Or rather, the beginning of one, until it got boring)
« Last Edit: 06/20/2016 08:54 PM by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline OpelGT

• Minnesota, USA
« Reply #454 on: 06/21/2016 01:56 AM »

Never know, they haven't unwrapped it yet.
It could be F9-023 [CRS-8] back in for it's million mile scheduled maintenance ;D

Offline Adriano

• Likes Given: 8
« Reply #455 on: 06/22/2016 04:53 AM »
Not sure it is dirt that can be washed off. I think more likely it is paint discoloration caused by heat. If that is the case, the discolored areas are the areas that were subject to to high temperatures. The lox tank kept that section of the frame cool, hence no discoloration. I guess testing of the paint can allow us to derive temperatures of the skin. As engineers will know which temperature may weaken the frame, they will know where to look for possible damage, possibly taking samples from a rocket that crashed to confirm...

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1295
  • Likes Given: 1686
« Reply #456 on: 06/22/2016 07:47 PM »
Not sure it is dirt that can be washed off. I think more likely it is paint discoloration caused by heat.

The general suspicion is that it can be washed off.
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #457 on: 06/23/2016 12:08 AM »
Some great closeups of the OG-2 stage on the street in Hawthorne:

http://imgur.com/a/q7yoL
« Last Edit: 06/23/2016 12:11 AM by Kabloona »

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 4328
  • Likes Given: 1335
« Reply #458 on: 06/23/2016 08:58 AM »

One just has got to admire SpaceX for putting two cores outside and confuse the h*ll out all of us for a full day. "Which core is what?" Brilliant! :)

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #459 on: 06/23/2016 01:47 PM »

One just has got to admire SpaceX for putting two cores outside and confuse the h*ll out all of us for a full day. "Which core is what?" Brilliant! :)

And, "what the h*ll are they doing in the street?!"  ???
« Last Edit: 06/23/2016 01:48 PM by Kabloona »

Tags: