Author Topic: powered re-entry  (Read 1432 times)

Offline gin455res

• eny, sed, woz, shuga English spelling is messed up
  • bristol, uk
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 24
powered re-entry
« on: 12/24/2015 06:23 PM »
Will spacex be releasing any data on this phase of the recovery?

Temperatures, pressures.
Does the burn start before entry?

What's the effective pressure, does the engine ever become over-expanded because it is experiencing, say, > 1atm of dynamic pressure.

How much scope will they have for exploring the re-entry envelope? 

Offline gin455res

• eny, sed, woz, shuga English spelling is messed up
  • bristol, uk
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: powered re-entry
« Reply #1 on: 12/24/2015 06:27 PM »
I think I heard (though the wind noise in the post landing teleconference was quite bad) that Elon said one of the previous almost successful returns came in much faster.

Online Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 3552
  • Likes Given: 2196
« Reply #2 on: 12/25/2015 03:49 PM »

I think I heard (though the wind noise in the post landing teleconference was quite bad) that Elon said one of the previous almost successful returns came in much faster.
This flight had plenty of margin, allowing them to be a bit more conservative.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8221
  • Likes Given: 5439
« Reply #3 on: 12/26/2015 02:28 PM »
Will spacex be releasing any data on this phase of the recovery?

Temperatures, pressures.
Does the burn start before entry?

What's the effective pressure, does the engine ever become over-expanded because it is experiencing, say, > 1atm of dynamic pressure.

How much scope will they have for exploring the re-entry envelope?
Not sure if they'll release it publicly, but on previous flights, NASA has studied the powered reentry, supersonic retropropulsion portion of flight with their own airborne assets (IR imagery on a chase plane). I'm certain SpaceX has shared this data with NASA, as NASA shared their imagery with SpaceX. The reason NASA cares is because supersonic (or even hypersonic) retropropulsion is critical for landing heavy payloads on Mars, and before the Falcon 9 v1.1 flew, it had never actually been demonstrated in flight before.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Tags: