Quote from: Rondaz on 11/16/2021 10:21 pmRussian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu confirmed the successful testing of the anti-satellite system by Russia . According to him, “it struck the old satellite with jewelry,” and its debris does not threaten space activities.What are we to make of the bolded statement?
Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu confirmed the successful testing of the anti-satellite system by Russia . According to him, “it struck the old satellite with jewelry,” and its debris does not threaten space activities.
11 tweet thread when you have to move out of the way of a Starlink satellite, but silence when Russia intentionally creates thousands of pieces of new debris?twitter.com/nextspaceflight/status/1460709441435684864
At this time, none of the Galileo or Copernicus satellites have been impacted. However, close monitoring of the situation is necessary to track the potential impact on the 240 European satellites covered by EU SST.
Is it possible that Russia chose to destroy the Cosmos 1408 because it was concerned about any derelict Soviet spy satellite colliding with active American and European communications and weather satellites, like what happened in February 2009 when the Cosmos 2251 collided with the Iridium 33?
We now have good input on the range of inclination distribution in the debris cloud: the ASAT appears to have generated a Gaussian +/-1.5 degrees structure, which is significant, beyond the +/- 60-100 km in altitude for most of the debris pieces tracked so far.https://twitter.com/mikeclindsay/status/1461252315839488003
Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Tuesday that the fragments of the old satellite formed during the testing of the anti-satellite system do not pose any threat to space activities.
You're really missing something here. After the US performed its ASAT test in 1985 that generated debris, the United States sought to develop "non-kinetic" counter-satellite technology--in other words, stuff that did not create debris. That included jamming, hacking, and other ways of negating a satellite without creating debris that poses a hazard to other satellites.
Rogozin said that the fragments of the downed satellite are not dangerous for the ISS.Rogozin: Roscosmos is tracking fragments of a downed satellite, they are not dangerous for the ISS....Later, the Russian Ministry of Defense showed a video proving that the International Space Station is located 40-60 kilometers below the fragments of the Tselina-D satellite, and nothing threatens the station.
Quote from: Rondaz on 11/20/2021 08:03 pmRogozin said that the fragments of the downed satellite are not dangerous for the ISS.Rogozin: Roscosmos is tracking fragments of a downed satellite, they are not dangerous for the ISS....Later, the Russian Ministry of Defense showed a video proving that the International Space Station is located 40-60 kilometers below the fragments of the Tselina-D satellite, and nothing threatens the station.I'm trying to figure out if these people are liars or morons. Anyone have insight?