Author Topic: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system  (Read 80010 times)

Offline owais.usmani

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 737
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 610

Offline Liss

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1905
  • Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 1106
  • Likes Given: 100
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #61 on: 11/16/2021 10:52 am »
Russian Ministry of Defense has just confirmed the intentional destruction of K1408: https://ria.ru/20211116/kosmos-1759291977.html
This message reflects my personal opinion based on open sources of information.

Offline eeergo

Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #62 on: 11/16/2021 11:05 am »
https://twitter.com/katlinegrey/status/1460574303821385728

Well, that take by the Russian MoD is extraordinarily asinine (and trivially factually wrong).

At least the former head of the 4th Central Research Institute (TsNII) of the Russian Defense Ministry, retired Major General Vladimir Dvorkin, said it like it is: "There is nothing special about this test, except for negligence. It was not necessary to arrange such a cloud of debris"
-DaviD-

Offline B. Hendrickx

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1437
  • Liked: 2007
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #63 on: 11/16/2021 11:06 am »
Quick translation of the Ministry of Defense statement:

Quote
On November 15  the Russian Defense Ministry successfully conducted a test that hit the inoperable Russian Tselina-D spacecraft, which has been in orbit since 1982. The U.S. knows for certain that based on the time of the test and the orbital parameters the fragments that were created did not and will not pose a threat to orbital stations, spacecraft and space activities. The fragments have been  included in the main catalog of the national space surveillance system and will be tracked until they are destroyed. Previously, similar tests in space have been conducted by the United States, China and India.

Offline satcomopsuk

  • Member
  • Posts: 53
  • UK
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #64 on: 11/16/2021 11:40 am »
СГОРЕВШИЙ МОРОЗ ? ::)

Offline Colodie

  • Member
  • Posts: 45
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #65 on: 11/16/2021 12:05 pm »
FROM
https://www.spacewar.com/reports/Russia_seeks_to_reassure_ISS_astronauts_after_missile_claims_999.html

"US officials said they were not informed in advance of the anti-satellite missile test -- only the fourth ever to hit a spacecraft from the ground -- which generated over 1,500 pieces of trackable orbital debris."

Really ?
Do they not monitor Navigational Warnings and NOTAMs ?

Must admit I took my eye off the ball on this one , but previous tests by both Russia and India have been given a heads  up  days before .
On two previous occassions I have even given US Space Command  all the details , days in advance which they completely ignored.

This time round I suspect the Nav Warn was issued just once and unfortunately my sat system went down at just the wrong time  :-[

I suspect they are saying they were not formally notified with all the details.  I'm pretty sure that based on various information they could get, that they were pretty sure that *something* was going to happen.

Offline Skyway

  • Full Member
  • *
  • Posts: 145
  • Brazil
  • Liked: 177
  • Likes Given: 71
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #66 on: 11/16/2021 12:58 pm »
I think similar to you, but if something in these years investigating occurrences has taught me, it is that most of the time who should know something, doesn't know until the occurrence happens.

It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have a clue as to what was about to happen. Or because they really don't know, or because the information didn't arrive on time.

I had the hypothesis that the test had been designed one way, but it turned out to have an unexpected result (maybe it was to pass close, no impact. Or the target was another higher satellite...) But after that Russian MoD statement , there is no longer any way to deny that it was intentional. Which means it was an absurd operation.
Everything is fail-proof until it fails.

Offline Rondaz

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 27059
  • Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #67 on: 11/16/2021 01:42 pm »
Updated plot in inertial coordinates showing the estimated intercept location (where densest debris region will be) and the orbit of the Chinese space station (green), Of course what's missing in this plot is height above the Earth

https://twitter.com/planet4589/status/1460355721699246087

Offline Rondaz

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 27059
  • Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #68 on: 11/16/2021 02:18 pm »
Russian military confirms successful tests of anti-satellite weapons

15:46 16 Nov 2021

The Russian Defense Ministry has confirmed that the inoperative Tselina-D spacecraft was shot down during tests on November 15, TASS reports . The Russian military argue that the resulting fragments did not and will not pose a threat to orbital stations and spacecraft.

On Monday, the US Space Command's press office said a spacecraft had collapsed in low Earth orbit, creating a cloud of debris. The State Department believes that this is the result of Russia's testing of anti-satellite weapons .

According  to the website Space-track.org, the Kosmos-1408 (Celina-D) satellite, which was launched in 1982 , collapsed . It was in orbit with an altitude of 400-500 kilometers. The US Space Command estimates that the result was at least 1,500 debris.

Also on November 15, the ISS crew had to move to spacecraft due to space debris. The dangerous object at intervals of one and a half hours passed the station twice .

The Russian Defense Ministry on Tuesday confirmed that the Tselina-D spacecraft had been hit as a result of successful tests. The Russian military say that the debris left from it was immediately taken for escort and did not pose a threat to orbital stations, spacecraft and space activities.

Field tests of anti-satellite missiles were also carried out by the United States, India and China. The United States conducted two such tests, hitting two of its own vehicles in  1985 and  2008  . In 2007, the Chinese military shot down an inoperative meteorological satellite Fengyun-1C, which led to the formation of about 3.4 thousand fragments, one of which in 2013 damaged the Russian microsatellite Blitz. And the Indians tested an anti-satellite missile in March 2019. As a result, a cloud of more than 100 debris more than 10 centimeters in size was formed, which dispersed in orbits with an altitude of 200 to 1600 kilometers.

Anna Kachalova

https://nplus1.ru/news/2021/11/16/tselinad

Offline Lee Jay

  • Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8625
  • Liked: 3702
  • Likes Given: 334
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #69 on: 11/16/2021 02:25 pm »
The Russian Defense Ministry on Tuesday confirmed that the Tselina-D spacecraft had been hit as a result of successful tests. The Russian military say that the debris left from it was immediately taken for escort and did not pose a threat to orbital stations, spacecraft and space activities.

Wow - a straight-forward, no-nonsense, pure lie.

Offline Rondaz

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 27059
  • Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #70 on: 11/16/2021 04:21 pm »
At 19.00. Moscow time, I had a detailed telephone conversation with the head of the NASA administration, Senator Nelson. The parties stated ... Okay. In short, in Russian, we are moving on, ensuring the safety of our crews on the ISS, making joint plans.

https://twitter.com/Rogozin/status/1460651722154594316

Offline Rondaz

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 27059
  • Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #71 on: 11/16/2021 04:23 pm »
Rogozin had a telephone conversation with the head of NASA.

Rogozin and NASA Chief Nelson Discuss By Phone the Safety of ISS Crews.

19:51 11/16/2021 (updated: 20:19 11/16/2021)

MOSCOW, November 16 - RIA Novosti. Roscosmos CEO Dmitry Rogozin said that he had a telephone conversation with NASA head Bill Nelson, they agreed to move on and ensure the safety of the crews at the International Space Station .

"At 19.00 Moscow time, I had a detailed telephone conversation with the head of the NASA administration, Senator Bill Nelson . The parties stated ... Okay. In short, and in Russian, we are moving on, ensuring the safety of our crews on the ISS, making joint plans," wrote Rogozin on Telegram .

He added that he hopes to see the head of NASA soon and is waiting for him in Moscow , since he himself cannot visit the United States .

On Monday, space debris flew past the ISS several times at intervals of an hour and a half. Cosmonauts and astronauts hid in the Soyuz MS-19 and Crew Dragon spacecraft docked to the station.

US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said that a cloud of 1,500 debris appeared as a result of Russia's testing of anti-satellite systems. US space command claims that a right ascension anti-satellite missile was tested on November 15, which hit the Russian Kosmos-1408 satellite.

The Pentagon said that Russia did not warn the American military about the planned tests, and the anti-satellite weapons being developed could pose a threat to the United States and other space powers. The head of NASA Bill Nelson agrees that the cloud of debris was formed as a result of tests of Russian weapons.

Roscosmos stated that the Russian system for warning of dangerous situations in space is monitoring the situation, and called the safety of the ISS crew a top priority in the creation and operation of space technology.

The Russian Defense Ministry called the accusations of the West hypocritical, and clarified that the United States should be "known for certain" that the fragments of the Tselina-D satellite, in terms of test time and orbit parameters, did not and will not pose a threat to orbital stations and spacecraft. Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu confirmed the successful testing of the anti-satellite system by Russia. According to him, “it struck the old satellite with jewelry,” and its debris does not threaten space activities.

https://ria.ru/20211116/nasa-1759363182.html

Offline SciNews

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 812
  • Romania
  • Liked: 737
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #72 on: 11/16/2021 06:23 pm »
The fragmentation of Cosmos 1408 satellite — observations from Romanian SST sensor
http://rosa.ro/index.php/en/news-menu/stiri/5850-fragmentarea-satelitului-cosmos-1408-observatii-de-la-senzorul-romanesc-sst
"The RO_AROAC-T08 telescope, dedicated to Low Earth Orbit (LEO) object detection, was able to acquire images and perform astrometric measurements on two fragments (as depicted in the gif image)."
Image credit: © COSST, ©AROAC
« Last Edit: 11/16/2021 06:28 pm by SciNews »

Offline Star One

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 14182
  • UK
  • Liked: 4052
  • Likes Given: 220
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #73 on: 11/16/2021 08:47 pm »
Scott Manley’s video on this incident:


Offline Rondaz

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 27059
  • Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #74 on: 11/16/2021 10:16 pm »
US pledged to respond to Russia's test of an anti-satellite system.

White House: US Will Look For Answer To Russian Test Of Anti-Satellite System.

21:57 11/16/2021

WASHINGTON, November 16 - RIA Novosti. The United States, together with its allies, will seek an answer to Russia's testing of an anti-satellite system in space, White House spokesman Andrew Bates said.

Earlier, the Russian military department said that on November 15, Russia successfully conducted tests, as a result of which the inoperative Russian Tselina-D spacecraft was hit. Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Tuesday that the fragments of the old satellite formed during the testing of the anti-satellite system do not pose any threat to space activities. The head of the Russian military department confirmed the successful test of the anti-satellite system by the Russian Federation.

“The United States will work with our allies and partners to find a response to this irresponsible action,” Bates said at the briefing.

He also called on "all responsible space powers to join our efforts to develop norms of responsible behavior (in space - ed.) And refrain from conducting dangerous and irresponsible tests, like the one conducted by Russia."

Also, Russia, while testing an anti-satellite system in space, has neglected safety, White House spokesman Andrew Bates said at a briefing on Tuesday.

"These actions demonstrate Russia's complete disregard for security, stability and long-term sustainability of outer space for all countries," said a White House spokesman.

He stressed that the resulting test "debris in the coming years will continue to pose a threat to (human - ed.) Activities in space and pose a risk to the operation of satellites, which all countries rely on to ensure their national security, economic prosperity and scientific research," - said the representative of the US administration.

On Monday, space debris flew past the ISS several times at intervals of an hour and a half. Cosmonauts and astronauts hid in the Soyuz MS-19 and Crew Dragon spacecraft docked to the station .

US Space Command and the Department of State said that the cloud of 1,500 debris appeared as a result of Russia's testing of anti-satellite systems. The Pentagon said that Russia did not warn the American military about the planned tests, and the anti-satellite weapons being developed could pose a threat to the United States and other space powers. The head of NASA  Bill Nelson agrees that the cloud of debris was formed as a result of tests of Russian weapons .

In " Roskosmos " said that the Russian system of prevention of dangerous situations in space control the situation, and called the safety of the crew of the ISS main priority in the creation and exploitation of space technology.

The Russian Defense Ministry called the accusations of the West hypocritical, and clarified that the United States should be "known for certain" that the fragments of the Tselina-D satellite, in terms of test time and orbital parameters, did not and will not pose a threat to orbital stations and spacecraft. According to Shoigu, the anti-satellite system "hit the old satellite with jewelry," and its debris does not threaten space activities.

https://ria.ru/20211116/sistema-1759376597.html


Offline Rondaz

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 27059
  • Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #75 on: 11/16/2021 10:21 pm »
NASA chief told Rogozin about the continuing threat to the ISS crew.

NASA chief Nelson told Rogozin that the ISS crew is still in danger.

00:14 11/17/2021 (updated: 00:22 11/17/2021)

WASHINGTON, November 17 - RIA Novosti. NASA chief Bill Nelson said that he had expressed concern to Dmitry Rogozin, Roscosmos CEO, about the danger that, in his opinion, the crew of the International Space Station continues to be exposed to in connection with the RF testing of the anti-satellite system.

According to the American authorities, the threat to cosmonauts and astronauts working at the station is space debris, the cloud of which was formed as a result of a recent test of Russian anti-satellite weapons.

“I spoke with Roscosmos CEO Rogozin , expressing concern about the danger that continues to threaten our astronauts and cosmonauts on the ISS. It is critical that we ensure the safety of our people and objects in space - now and in the future,” Nelson wrote on Twitter .

Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu confirmed the successful testing of the anti-satellite system by Russia . According to him, “it struck the old satellite with jewelry,” and its debris does not threaten space activities.

The Russian Defense Ministry called the accusations of the West "hypocritical". The military clarified that the United States should be "known for certain" that the fragments of the Tselina-D satellite, in terms of test time and orbit parameters, did not and will not pose a threat to orbital stations and spacecraft.

https://ria.ru/20211117/mks-1759383921.html

Offline Rondaz

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 27059
  • Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #76 on: 11/16/2021 10:52 pm »
Space Command is tracking more than a thousand pieces of new debris from Russia's anti-satellite test this morning, with thousands more that are untrackable, a US official says.

https://twitter.com/joroulette/status/1460317532812939273

Offline Rondaz

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 27059
  • Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #77 on: 11/16/2021 10:55 pm »
11 tweet thread when you have to move out of the way of a Starlink satellite, but silence when Russia intentionally creates thousands of pieces of new debris?

https://twitter.com/nextspaceflight/status/1460709441435684864

Offline tyrred

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 929
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 21441
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #78 on: 11/17/2021 12:15 am »

Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu confirmed the successful testing of the anti-satellite system by Russia . According to him, “it struck the old satellite with jewelry,” and its debris does not threaten space activities.


What are we to make of the bolded statement?

Offline RotoSequence

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2208
  • Liked: 2068
  • Likes Given: 1535
Re: Russia tests Nudol ASAT system
« Reply #79 on: 11/17/2021 12:57 am »

Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu confirmed the successful testing of the anti-satellite system by Russia . According to him, “it struck the old satellite with jewelry,” and its debris does not threaten space activities.


What are we to make of the bolded statement?

An unusual euphemism for shrapnel?

 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography
1