Author Topic: Launch notification on my phone/desktop?  (Read 11576 times)

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 987
  • Likes Given: 343
Re: Launch notification on my phone/desktop?
« Reply #40 on: 12/06/2015 07:50 pm »
Embedding a link in iCal is no problem, however finding the right thread from NSF might be, a bit. There is no super easily identifiable matching pattern for the thread names and subforums where to find them, before they'd get to live section. So it'd be a bit fuzzy regexp math - which will need to be tweaked over time.
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 987
  • Likes Given: 343
« Reply #41 on: 12/07/2015 12:25 am »
here you go , ical link with NSF threads in the description:

https://launchcal-rjoe4883.c9users.io/nsfthreads.ical

Now this one definitely should use caching, its basically doing a search across ~12 NSF forum pages to match calendar event description to forum thread titles. Also, not always correct thread, search is simple text matching.

I can ask filtering and caching to be added, then would need to find someone to host it.
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Online SkipMorrow

« Reply #42 on: 12/21/2015 01:38 pm »
I am working on an Android notification app, using the launchlibrary API. Looking through the reddit support thread shows at least a few developers working on apps right now. I think there will be plenty of good solutions very soon.

What I was thinking though, is what if an app (perhaps my app) had the ability to receive push notifications from this website? I was imagining that a person could subscribe to certain events (launches) and when something significant happens or changes to that event, we could send out a notification and the users would get it instantly.

Obviously, that would take some work from the website here, but we have seen that Chris is working on making some updates anyway. Perhaps it wouldn't be too hard. We could talk about some use cases here and figure out if it is in the realm of the possible.

Offline benjaminhigginbotham

• Galactic Overlord
  • Bencredible
  • Anaheim, CA
    • TMRO
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #43 on: 05/12/2016 03:43 am »
Wait. So Launch Library is getting their data from the calendar here?

Negative. The LaunchLibrary has a series of librarians that scour the web, mostly launch provider websites and Twitter accounts of space journalists & people who work at said companies/agencies to get its data. While there may be commonalities between formats, it is purely coincidental. We do standardize on a certain way of listing launches so that developers have an easy time querying the data and doing what they want with it.

To be sure I pinged the Librarians before posting here to ensure we were not plagiarizing (TMRO doesn't do that) and everyone confirmed that we do not. We may use NSF as a way to help confirm a launch date and mark it from a pending status to a confirmed status, but that's about the extent of it.

I think you'll find that the Library is actually faster at posting some launches than NSF ;) Our Librarians are freakishly good. If you wanted to take advantage of that, the API is free for life. Feel free to code it in to NSF if you want to use it which may help release that burden from ya.

And finally... If the idea of LaunchLibrary is intriguing and you want to help out, we're always looking for volunteers. Goal is to have the most comprehensive forward and backward looking database of every launch and then make that data available for free to developers. Allow people to create amazing apps that gets humanity excited about space. Interested? [email protected]

Offline AndrewM

• United States
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #44 on: 05/12/2016 06:37 pm »
I just saw this thread. I have been thinking about making an app with launch dates for about a year now. My plan is to work on it this summer and hopefully release it on the iOS App Store for free. It should help me gain some experience and be a little more diverse as I will have just completed my first year studying Electrical Engineering.

Edit: Adding a little more description.
« Last Edit: 05/13/2016 01:52 am by AndrewM »

Online SkipMorrow

« Reply #45 on: 05/12/2016 08:59 pm »
Android or iOS? Or something else?

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 252
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #46 on: 05/12/2016 09:00 pm »
I just saw this thread. I have been thinking about making an app with launch dates for about a year now. My plan is to work on it this summer and hopefully release it on the App Store for free.

Take a look at MissionClock. I like that.

Online kevinof

• Antibes
  • Liked: 528
  • Likes Given: 581
Launch notification on my phone/desktop?
« Reply #47 on: 05/12/2016 09:39 pm »
I just saw this thread. I have been thinking about making an app with launch dates for about a year now. My plan is to work on it this summer and hopefully release it on the App Store for free.

I have developers on staff here with lots of experience developing ios and Android apps. If you need any help or pointers just ask.

Kevin
« Last Edit: 05/12/2016 09:39 pm by kevinof »

Offline starbase

• Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #48 on: 08/24/2017 03:31 pm »
Here is a Google calendar including reminders and webcast links: bit.ly/SpaceLaunchCalendar

And there is another one for dockings, berthings, landings and EVAs: bit.ly/SpaceEventCalendar

Main sources: NSF Forum, Spaceflightnow, Spaceflight101, Russianspaceweb, Twitter and space.skyrocket.de

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: 08/24/2017 03:34 pm by starbase »

Offline deBASHmode

« Reply #49 on: 01/23/2018 10:58 pm »
Thanks for the Google Calendars - exactly what I was looking for!
---
Shuttle hugger. Flight ops/Flight Director fangrrrrl. "I never want to hold again..."

Tags: