Author Topic: SpaceX IVA Suit  (Read 96649 times)

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 1315
  • Likes Given: 348
Re: SpaceX IVA Suit
« Reply #240 on: 01/17/2019 11:06 am »
Cross-posting as there's extra footage and some astronaut discussion of SpaceX spacesuit in the video:

This is SpaceX’s very first human crew
Verge Science

Published on 15 Jan 2019
This year, if all goes well, astronauts will launch to space on a private craft for the first time in history. It’s SpaceX’s big chance to show NASA that it can be trusted with the work of ferrying astronauts to and from the international space station. We met the two astronauts selected for this historic mission and spoke with them about what’s different about working with a private company like SpaceX.

Read more here: https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/15/18182243/spacex-nasa-astronauts-human-crew-commercial-space-iss-tourism-bob-behnken-doug-hurley

Includes astronauts talking about SpaceX spacesuits

They look a little bit... hefty?

Two bulky guys in close-fitting suits. Remember: the PR suit was fitted onto a skinny mannequin.
So yeah, a suit that was modeled for a slender person will look hefty on an average-built person.

Douglas Hurley looks positively lean...
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 648
  • Likes Given: 254
« Reply #241 on: 01/17/2019 11:27 am »
I think any issue of weight will trend to zero once they get to orbit.

PS any good shots of the gloves? I have several garments with built in gloves so it would be interesting to seen their solution better.
« Last Edit: 01/17/2019 11:30 am by nacnud »

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 5895
  • Likes Given: 1991
« Reply #242 on: 01/17/2019 11:49 am »
Two bulky guys in close-fitting suits. Remember: the PR suit was fitted onto a skinny mannequin.
So yeah, a suit that was modeled for a slender person will look hefty on an average-built person.

Douglas Hurley looks positively lean...

He may be called lean in the US but over here in Europe he would be called average-built.

You will also note in the screenshot you posted that Doug Hurley looks less hefty in the suit than does Bob Behnken.
« Last Edit: 01/17/2019 11:51 am by woods170 »

Offline Cheapchips

• UK
  • Liked: 198
  • Likes Given: 356
« Reply #243 on: 01/17/2019 12:19 pm »
PS any good shots of the gloves? I have several garments with built in gloves so it would be interesting to seen their solution better.

They're attached.  A zipper looks to run along the back of the gauntlet (from Tim Dodd's video).

It looks like the wrist area's pretty flexible, based on a crop of JPO234's screengrab. 

Seems to avoid having a metal ring seal around the wrist, which probably helps comfort.
« Last Edit: 01/17/2019 12:21 pm by Cheapchips »

Offline Cheapchips

• UK
« Reply #244 on: 01/17/2019 12:30 pm »
The best look at the zipper I could find in The Verge's video.

« Last Edit: 01/17/2019 12:31 pm by Cheapchips »

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #245 on: 01/17/2019 12:39 pm »
He may be called lean in the US but over here in Europe he would be called average-built.

Heh, maybe in Europe twenty years ago, but for Europe now-a-days he is slim!

Offline Cheapchips

• UK
« Reply #246 on: 01/17/2019 12:46 pm »
You can see the inner suit under the 'jacket' in this shot.  It looks like quite thin material? 

Edit:  Suppose it could just be material across the upper and lower to join them?
« Last Edit: 01/17/2019 12:47 pm by Cheapchips »

Offline Comga

• Liked: 1748
  • Likes Given: 1448
« Reply #247 on: 01/17/2019 08:50 pm »
You can see the inner suit under the 'jacket' in this shot.  It looks like quite thin material? 

Edit:  Suppose it could just be material across the upper and lower to join them?

The latter would be a way to address the common “spacesuit droopy seat” issue.
A traditional spacesuit has extra fabric in the seat to allow the astronaut to bend as seen in the image, but when they stand or wal that fabric droops.
A very interesting aspect of this would be how SpaceX keeps this fabric from ballooning when pressurized.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #248 on: 01/18/2019 06:58 am »

Heh, maybe in Europe twenty years ago, but for Europe now-a-days he is slim!

Don't know what part of Europe you live in but in general the obesity problem in Europe is substantially less than the obesity problem in the USA.

Slim to average-built. That's where I eyeball him.
Anyway, I digress.
« Last Edit: 01/18/2019 06:59 am by woods170 »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8398
  • Likes Given: 6728
« Reply #249 on: 01/18/2019 02:53 pm »
Let's not go too far down the who is more obese rathole ok? Thanks!

(I might have had one or more donuts more than is optimal, just saying, but that's not why we shouldn't go there)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #250 on: 01/18/2019 04:08 pm »
Let's not go too far down the who is more obese rathole ok? Thanks!

(I might have had one or more donuts more than is optimal, just saying, but that's not why we shouldn't go there)

Just great Lar. You made me spill my tea all over the keyboard.  ;)

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 195
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #251 on: 01/18/2019 05:01 pm »
The latter would be a way to address the common “spacesuit droopy seat” issue.
A traditional spacesuit has extra fabric in the seat to allow the astronaut to bend as seen in the image, but when they stand or wal that fabric droops.
A very interesting aspect of this would be how SpaceX keeps this fabric from ballooning when pressurized.

I was wondering the same thing as that is one of the harder parts of spacesuit design.

Offline cuddihy

• Liked: 189
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #252 on: 01/18/2019 06:26 pm »
Why bother? In a nominal situation it’s not pressurized & out of the way. If it pressurized and balloons out, you’re already in a “bad day” so discomfort sitting or looks will not be on the top of your list of concerns.

Online FishInferno

• Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #253 on: 01/18/2019 06:33 pm »
Why bother? In a nominal situation it’s not pressurized & out of the way. If it pressurized and balloons out, you’re already in a “bad day” so discomfort sitting or looks will not be on the top of your list of concerns.

Because Elon Musk understands the importance of having things look cool. It gets people excited. The more excited the public is about SpaceX, the more pressure there is for politicians to support them. These IVA suits won't do that alone obviously, but it's about maintaining a company image. It's the same reason the crew access arm isn't just a bare metal gantry, even though that would definitely be easier to design.
Comparing SpaceX and SLS is like comparing paying people to plant fruit trees with merely digging holes and filling them.  - Robotbeat

Offline cuddihy

• Liked: 189
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #254 on: 01/19/2019 06:39 am »
What I’m suggesting is that SpaceX didn’t solve the ballooning issue when pressurized (yet): people are only taking pictures when it’s de-pressurized, so image is NOT a consideration. I understand & enthusiastically agree with SpaceX’s approach of making the suits cool-looking as well as functional. I just see no evidence that they solved that hard problem ( joint flexibility/stiffness/comfort) when pressurized. I eagerly await the day that problem is solved.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8865
  • Likes Given: 5742
« Reply #255 on: 01/19/2019 05:05 pm »
It's not an EVA suit, so that's only required in emergencies. This is not something that is nominally required.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online Joffan

• NSF Irregular
  • Liked: 452
  • Likes Given: 1323
« Reply #256 on: 01/20/2019 04:03 am »
It's not an EVA suit, so that's only required in emergencies. This is not something that is nominally required.
Yes, certainly ease of use when not pressurized is the normal case and should dominate.

The suit should nevertheless enable the wearer to be somewhat functional at higher pressure relative to surroundings. I'm sure that has been tested and the level of capability in emergencies is sufficient.

It strikes me that a non-pressure case might also be useful: if the atmosphere becomes poisonous or otherwise unbreathable (e.g. hypergol leak). I wonder if the suit also has some utility for fire-resistance?
Max Q for humanity becoming spacefaring

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2630
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #257 on: 01/20/2019 06:13 am »

Yes, certainly ease of use when not pressurized is the normal case and should dominate.

The suit should nevertheless enable the wearer to be somewhat functional at higher pressure relative to surroundings. I'm sure that has been tested and the level of capability in emergencies is sufficient.

It strikes me that a non-pressure case might also be useful: if the atmosphere becomes poisonous or otherwise unbreathable (e.g. hypergol leak). I wonder if the suit also has some utility for fire-resistance?

NBC News reported it's made of Nomex and Teflon, Nomex being used in auto racing suits because of its thermal and chemical resistance.
« Last Edit: 01/20/2019 06:15 am by docmordrid »
DM

Tags: