Author Topic: SpaceX IVA Suit  (Read 96650 times)

Offline coypu76

• Southeast US
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 41
SpaceX IVA Suit
« on: 09/21/2015 09:00 pm »
This thread is intended for discussion of the IVA (or "flight") suit. To discuss a potential EVA suit, see
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42938.0

Original post follows
---
A bit of SpaceX Suit Kremlinology: Similarities between the suit Elon was wearing in the Vogue article and the suit in the "Dragon in Orbit" video. Three elements: Sharp corner in the front clear faceplate, same cornered edge in the faceplate bezel, same cheveron decoration on the shoulderpad. Hard collar is missing in the video, and CGI pilot in video clearly turns and tilts his head - the video does not show a rigid neck on the helmet.  Anyone else see any similarities?
« Last Edit: 08/22/2018 01:12 pm by Lar »

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 4419
  • Likes Given: 2682
Re: SpaceX IVA Suit
« Reply #1 on: 09/21/2015 09:11 pm »
Of course there will be similarities. Its supposed to be the same suit! (although perhaps different development versions)
« Last Edit: 09/22/2015 12:38 am by Lars-J »

Offline coypu76

• Southeast US
« Reply #2 on: 09/21/2015 09:11 pm »
Unmarked comparison photo from CGI video and photo from Vogue article.  I'm interested to know whether Musk actually donned a space suit (it would be his style IMHO) or his face was photoshopped in?

Offline Impaler

• South Hill, Virgina
  • Liked: 363
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: 09/21/2015 10:37 pm »
The so called 'suit' Musk is pictured in is pure Hollywood prop.  I'm very doubtful he actually donned such a thing as it would be an association however indirect with 'fake' space travel.  The image is almost certainly Photoshopped.

Offline Dante80

• Athens : Greece
  • Liked: 810
  • Likes Given: 503
« Reply #4 on: 09/21/2015 10:50 pm »
Hard collar is missing in the video

I think it might be there but it is painted white.

The so called 'suit' Musk is pictured in is pure Hollywood prop.

It might well be a prop instead of a dev article but it certainly is from SpaceX. The similarities are important here.

Offline pgsky

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: 09/21/2015 11:51 pm »
The so called 'suit' Musk is pictured in is pure Hollywood prop.  I'm very doubtful he actually donned such a thing as it would be an association however indirect with 'fake' space travel.  The image is almost certainly Photoshopped.

This image is not photochopped, just color corrected. For those unaware, Annie Leibovitz is one of the most famous modern portrait photographers and all her images are real poses. This image of Elon in the suit will stand the test of time.

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 987
  • Likes Given: 343
« Reply #6 on: 09/22/2015 12:26 am »
For those unaware, Annie Leibovitz is one of the most famous modern portrait photographers and all her images are real poses.
... and she does a lot of compositing, especially in recent work.

See here: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2008/12/the-worst-photo.html
« Last Edit: 09/22/2015 12:28 am by savuporo »
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline Garrett

• France
  • Liked: 111
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #7 on: 09/22/2015 07:36 am »
Unmarked comparison photo from CGI video and photo from Vogue article. 
Video was not CGI. It doesn't even look like CGI. And Garrett Reisman from SpaceX insisted on his Twitter account that all interior shots were real. The white Dragon interior (probably made from smooth composite material) just gives the impression of it being CGI.
It was just two "actors" in suit prototypes in the engineering Dragon mock-up, probably with a blue/green screen out the window for adding in the view of the Earth during post-processing. Or simply a flat panel display set up outside the window.
- "Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." - Indiana Jones

Offline TheTraveller

« Reply #8 on: 09/22/2015 07:44 am »
Unmarked comparison photo from CGI video and photo from Vogue article. 
Video was not CGI. It doesn't even look like CGI. And Garrett Reisman from SpaceX insisted on his Twitter account that all interior shots were real. The white Dragon interior (probably made from smooth composite material) just gives the impression of it being CGI.
It was just two "actors" in suit prototypes in the engineering Dragon mock-up, probably with a blue/green screen out the window for adding in the view of the Earth during post-processing. Or simply a flat panel display set up outside the window.

Vogue article had a latest Crewed Dragon interior shot with Elon inside.
It Is Time For The EmDrive To Come Out Of The Shadows

Offline nlec

• Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #9 on: 09/22/2015 01:26 pm »
Elon's head in the suit just looks unnaturally large in comparison to his shoulder width.  It looks artificial, just like most of the Gravity movie.

Offline kevinof

• Antibes
  • Liked: 528
  • Likes Given: 581
« Reply #10 on: 09/22/2015 01:33 pm »
I haven't seen any talk about the armrests in the photo - do we know if there are any major controls in the seats or is everything in the overhead panel?

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #11 on: 09/22/2015 03:19 pm »

I haven't seen any talk about the armrests in the photo - do we know if there are any major controls in the seats or is everything in the overhead panel?

The interior at the dragon 2 unveiling was not the final interior. This isn't the final interior either. Just closer to the final.

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 396
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #12 on: 09/22/2015 03:35 pm »
Unmarked comparison photo from CGI video and photo from Vogue article.  I'm interested to know whether Musk actually donned a space suit (it would be his style IMHO) or his face was photoshopped in?

Looking at the photo, and having a bit of experience in use of Photoshop, my guess is yes to both.

It's likely that he wore the suit, but the photos weren't exactly what you'd call publishable, so they overlaid a picture of Elon's face on the picture that they had.  It kind of loos as though teh light reflections would have really messed up the photo without some retouching.
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline JBF

• Liked: 418
  • Likes Given: 749
« Reply #13 on: 09/22/2015 04:49 pm »

Looking at the photo, and having a bit of experience in use of Photoshop, my guess is yes to both.

It's likely that he wore the suit, but the photos weren't exactly what you'd call publishable, so they overlaid a picture of Elon's face on the picture that they had.  It kind of loos as though teh light reflections would have really messed up the photo without some retouching.

From the article it says Elon wore the helmet; so I'm betting they photoshopped the suit on top of that picture.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but thatís the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline Jdeshetler

• Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2410
  • Likes Given: 1670
« Reply #14 on: 09/22/2015 07:11 pm »
Now, THAT is photochopped...

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #15 on: 09/22/2015 07:38 pm »
It's photoShopped. The word comes from the software Photoshop.

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 987
  • Likes Given: 343
« Reply #16 on: 09/22/2015 07:48 pm »

Photochopping has been around as long as somethingawful, http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Photochop

( bearings check, we are still on the internet, yes ? )
« Last Edit: 09/22/2015 07:49 pm by savuporo »
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1351
  • Likes Given: 1586
« Reply #17 on: 09/22/2015 09:42 pm »

Since Photoshop is not the only software you can use for this purpose, photochopping is a broader descriptive.
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline coypu76

• Southeast US
« Reply #18 on: 09/22/2015 09:57 pm »
I don't know if it's a genuine suit or not, but Nikolay Moiseev from Final Frontier Design, who was involved with the design of both the Sokol and Orlan space suits back in Russia, responded to my parallel post on the unofficial SpaceX Facebook group and had the following to say about the photo and video:

"TIGHT FIT HELMET HAS A PROBLEM WITH CO2 WASHOUT . THE VISOR CLOSE TO THE FACE WILL BE COVERED WITH FOG FROM BREATH. The proposed helmet does not have the neck ring/neck disconnect as ACES, so it has some new closure? If you have conformal (close fit as motorbike style) helmet, you have to have neck bearing and neck joint......."

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 391
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #19 on: 09/22/2015 10:16 pm »
I don't understand why spacex is doing this in house.

There's no synergy with anything else they're building and space suits are available more or less off the shelf from established manufacturers who have economies of scale.

Tags: