Author Topic: Discovery preparation  (Read 81890 times)

Offline Flightstar

• Lurking around OPF High Bay 2
  • KSC, Florida
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 5
RE: Discovery preparation
« Reply #40 on: 09/13/2005 05:52 PM »
Avron - 13/9/2005  11:09 AM

Do we know what the plan for the PAL ramps is?.. I understand that they are comming off, but will they be replaced.. replayed (resprayed on)...'Fence' installed ...smaller ramps.. or No PAL for STS-121 ?

There's some discussion on why some people aren't happy with the idea of the 'as is' config being kept. The current plan is for the PAL Ramps to come off. What goes on is the question. There's talk of a chicken wire mesh being placed on the area.

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #41 on: 09/13/2005 06:14 PM »
Any idea what they plan to use to bond the edges so *it* doesn't get peeled off during ascent?

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #42 on: 09/13/2005 07:41 PM »
Flightstar - 13/9/2005  1:52 PM

The current plan is for the PAL Ramps to come off. What goes on is the question. There's talk of a chicken wire mesh being placed on the area.

Looks like the option put forward in discussions before STS-114 post CAIB.. Wayne Hale mentioned 'Fence' in one of his presentations some time back, so the mesh I guess is the Fence, very nice.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #43 on: 09/13/2005 11:33 PM »
Yeah, the mesh is what I've heard mentioned when they discuss fence. What I don't get is if the PAL Ramp comes OFF, why the fence? I'm thinking the fence would be more use to keep the PAL Ramp foam in place rather than shedding?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #44 on: 09/13/2005 11:33 PM »
I would note this has more to do with the Debris thread, so if there's a good answer, quote this and answer in that thread.

Offline Tahii

• Fetch me a fix of anesthetic
  • Lurking around the Awarua Space Tracking Station
  • Invercargill, New Zealand
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #45 on: 09/14/2005 09:36 AM »
Flightstar - 14/9/2005  5:52 AM

There's talk of a chicken wire mesh being placed on the area.
Space - where no chicken has gone before.

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 458
  • Likes Given: 287
« Reply #46 on: 09/14/2005 04:59 PM »
Wayne Hale (September 1, 2005):

«OV-103/104 mandatory work preliminary estimates will support a May/June launch window.»

«This work includes Gap Filler rework, Nose Cap repair (OV-103), repair of other IFAs (F5R, RH Air Data Probe) plus known work (Forward Bulkhead connector saver on OV-103, FRCS time/cycle requirements OV-104, Av Bay 3A cold plate replacement OV-104), plus highly desirable modifications (WLE spar sneak path protection, lock bolt inspections).»

«Orbiter is working to partner this work with USA ground ops in a series of meetings Sept 12-13. Additional work will be provided in decision packages versus launch date.»

«This work includes SSPTS wiring modifications, the addition of BRI-18 hardened tiles around ET umbilical doors and landing gear doors, Elevon hub tile hardening, RJD wiring protection, etc.»

«If first launch is delayed until the fall, OV-105 OMM completion will allow changes to downstream manifest and various options are under review.»

«Significant work on ET-118 remains to be completed. This is the most complete tank at MAF. The work is significantly more extensive than retrofit of ET-119, but an investigation of moving ET-118 to KSC and completing ET-118 at KSC is underway and could prove feasible. That could decouple MAF recovery from the first two flight tanks.»

«Again, the current thinking (not yet approved) would render ET-120 a non-flight article for the near term.»

«ET-117 is also at KSC but it is in the pre-Columbia configuration and it not likely to be a near term resource.»

«Other tanks at MAF are in significantly earlier stages of production but will be evaluated if the ET-118 work proves feasible.»

«RSRM 90 will exceed 5 year cert life in April 06 and is being planned for shipment back to Utah.»

«The next oldest RSRM pair will exceed 5 year cert life in December 06 and will be evaluated versus launch options.»

«ET-122 appears to have been damaged from falling roof debris, for example.»

«KSC is investigating facility options to do ET foam work in environmentally controlled areas. The SLF RLV hanger appears to be a good option. Environmentally controlled tent areas in the VAB are also being investigated.»

«There is significant potential to be able to perform NDE and dissection of ET-120 PAL ramp (high priority for the investigation team) at KSC.»

«Similarly, ET-119 PAL ramp removal (along with associated NDE and possibly dissection) appears to be practical at KSC. Reapplication of PAL ramp to ET-119 at KSC will likely be possible and is under current investigation.»

«Pre hurricane estimates are that root cause investigation could have been complete by mid November. Post hurricane estimates are in work at this time.»

«Some of the significant work involved would be the NDE and dissection of ET-120 (used for the tanking test and LH2 diffuser investigation last spring) PAL ramp. This will likely require dissection of the underlying NCFI robotically sprayed foam under the PAL ramp.»

«At this time there is no certified capability to replace large areas of NCFI foam and there is serious technical concern that such replacement techniques are not feasible due to the lack of adherence to underlying aluminum structure.»

«This would render ET-120 a non-night test article at least for the near term.»

«ET-119 (at KSC) would not likely require such invasive treatment and assuming a PAL ramp reapplication technique can be implemented at KSC, ET-119 would likely become the first flight article for STS-121.»

«The investigation team is reviewing and potentially scrubbing the test requirements for PAL Ramp root cause investigation at this time but significant time savings appear unlikely.»

«Additionally, parallel work to address other areas of STS-114 foam loss, retrofit, etc., are being investigated.»

«Root cause investigation for the other 4 areas appears to be feasible to complete about the same time as PAL ramp root cause, i.e., mid-November. The same review and potential scrub for this testing is underway. Similar schedule effort for parallel work is underway.»

«At the same time, SE&I is pressing ahead with risk assessments for 3 foam loss areas seen on STS-114. Their schedule will provide risk assessment updates by the end of September and potentially could allow the program to proceed with no additional work on acreage foam, intertank flange, ice/frost ramps.»

«Work to eliminate the cryopumping path to the bipod closeout areas through heater wiring is in design and should not be a critical path item.»

«STS-114 had flight instrumentation on the L02 (forward) PAL ramp. The data from this instrumentation did not correlate with CFD and wind tunnel testing. SE&I is investigating this data.»

«No flight data is available for the LH2 PAL ramp. (Note: early program information on the rationale for no PAL ramp on the intertank region is based on wind tunnel testing showing cross flow in this area is minimal due to shock interactions. There does not appear to be any rationale to support a low/no crossflow situation in either the L02 or LH2 PAL ramp areas).»

«Based on the significant data surprise from STS-114 on the L02 PAL ramp, the technical community is extremely reluctant to agree to LH2 PAL ramp removal until flight data can be obtained, e.g., this is not considered a serious next flight option. Flows in this area are unsteady and CFD techniques are not well suited to analyzing unsteady flow situations.»

«Assuming that this requirement for flight data could be assuaged, a schedule for PAL ramp removal follows this sequence: Approximately 90 days will be required to generate a conservative environment (forces on cable tray, pressurization lines, etc.) Approximately six weeks would be required for structural evaluation of these loads.»

«Current estimates are that the existing structure would not pass these loads cases. A full up wind tunnel / CFD campaign would require approximately 13 months to complete the engineering evaluation and provide engineering redesign options before tank retrofit of fittings, ice/frost ramp foam application, etc.»

«With significant parallel work, a retrofitted, non-PAL ramp tank could be made available in the October 06 time frame. This is a preliminary estimate and significant evaluation of the work toward this option needs to be accomplished.»

«As a note, removal of PAL ramp from an existing tank (e.g., ET-118) would leave a "bump" that is different than using a tank which does not have a PAL ramp currently installed.»

«ET-127 is the next available tank that does not have a PAL ramp installed. Assuming no other changes, ET-127 could be delivered about 1 Nov 06.»

«Tank processing from delivery to KSC until launch is 4 months but there is potential to reduce that in some cases to 3 months.»

Offline Shuttle Man

• Veteran
  • KSC
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #47 on: 09/14/2005 05:33 PM »
Where did you find that!?!! Sept 1?
Ex-Apollo, waiting for NASA to finish what we started.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #48 on: 09/14/2005 05:37 PM »
Anik...this is VERY interesting...I'm checking to see if it's still relevant.

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: 09/14/2005 05:57 PM »
Shuttle Man - 14/9/2005  9:33 PM

Where did you find that!?!!

Wayne Hale has sent me it recently... ;) I communicate with him sometimes... ;)

Shuttle Man - 14/9/2005  9:33 PM

Sept 1?

Yeah!...

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: 09/14/2005 06:33 PM »
Chris Bergin - 14/9/2005  9:37 PM

I'm checking to see if it's still relevant.

Two weeks have passed... All may change...

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #51 on: 09/15/2005 01:50 AM »
Ask Wayne what he has on the 60 day study ;)

Offline Flightstar

• Lurking around OPF High Bay 2
  • KSC, Florida
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #52 on: 09/15/2005 03:07 AM »
>«OV-103/104 mandatory work preliminary estimates will support a May/June launch window.»

«This work includes Gap Filler rework, Nose Cap repair (OV-103), repair of other IFAs (F5R, RH Air Data Probe) plus known work (Forward Bulkhead connector saver on OV-103, FRCS time/cycle requirements OV-104, Av Bay 3A cold plate replacement OV-104), plus highly desirable modifications (WLE spar sneak path protection, lock bolt inspections).» <

A lot of that is standard processing for an Orbiter that has returned after a mission, but the wording Gap Filler REWORK could be relevant to the inspection of some areas of Atlantis' TPS. Atlantis is 'my' Orbiter, but TPS people don't tend to mix with engineers too much ;)

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #53 on: 09/15/2005 08:18 AM »
"(WLE spar sneak path protection, lock bolt inspections)"

What are these referring to?

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: 09/15/2005 02:54 PM »
In NASA Kennedy Space Center’s Vehicle Assembly Building, an external tank (ET-120 – anik note) is lifted into the upper levels of the high bay after being demated from the solid rocket boosters (BI-124/RSRM-90 – anik note) originally scheduled to fly on mission STS-121 with Space Shuttle Atlantis. It will temporarily be stored in a checkout cell in the VAB and await assignment to a future mission

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
« Reply #55 on: 09/15/2005 07:12 PM »
Is ET-120 still going to be ...eh cut up...? or just the PAL removed, or just moved into storage.. not sure where one could store all the tanks if they move some over to KSC

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
« Reply #56 on: 09/15/2005 07:16 PM »
Mobile launch platform, looks like some repairs... not a good sign, as I guess it would normally be used for stacking the next launch or so.

Offline Rocket Guy

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #57 on: 09/15/2005 08:46 PM »
They have been refurbing the MLPs for a year or two now, actually. No big deal.

Offline FransonUK

• Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me...don't ya
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #58 on: 09/15/2005 09:05 PM »
How many do KSC have? One for each Crawler or more?
Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me

Offline norm103

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #59 on: 09/15/2005 11:46 PM »
3 MLP with 2 Crawler

Tags: