Author Topic: Russian official wants to investigate whether U.S. moon landings actually happen  (Read 3594 times)

Offline catdlr

• Viewed launches since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 2195
  • Likes Given: 1545
I put this under the "Entertainment Forum"

Russian official wants to investigate whether U.S. moon landings actually happened

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2015/06/17/russian-official-wants-to-investigate-whether-u-s-moon-landings-actually-happened/

According to a translation by the Moscow Times, Markin would support an inquiry into the disappearance of original footage from the first moon landing in 1969 and the whereabouts of lunar rock, which was brought back to earth during several missions.

"We are not contending that they did not fly [to the moon], and simply made a film about it. But all of these scientific — or perhaps cultural — artifacts are part of the legacy of humanity, and their disappearance without a trace is our common loss. An investigation will reveal what happened," Markin wrote, according to the Moscow Times translation.

Pictured of Apollo Landing Site:
« Last Edit: 06/17/2015 11:30 PM by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1435
  • Likes Given: 1301
Hmm, time for russia to reboot its lunar program and go check in person?  ;)

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3648
  • Likes Given: 854
Ahh, the old editor-didn't-read-the-article-or-is-just-a-liar headline. Many journalists hate the tradition of editors changing their headlines due to shenanigans like this.
I hear those things are awfully loud. It glides as softly as a cloud. What's it called? Monowhale!

Offline cro-magnon gramps

• Very Ancient Caveman
  • Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 691
  • Likes Given: 5598
I didn't know they showed Fox News Channel on Russian Cable??  ;D
"Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou
 Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
  • Liked: 645
  • Likes Given: 1145
Russian Investigative Committee spokesperson Vladimir Markin believes an international investigation into the 1969-1972 U.S. manned moon landings and the disposition of lunar material should be conducted in light of the U.S. "crossing the line" in conducting investigations of FIFA, the international soccer authoritative body (that's "football" to Chris and other subjects of the Crown).

http://www.astrowatch.net/2015/06/russian-official-proposes-international.html

Markin made news back in 2014 on opening a case against the ROC Energia president for "office abuse."

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=34495.msg1184082#msg1184082

Commentary: Uh, what? It's not as if the Russians or other countries funded the U.S. moon missions and then the U.S. didn't provide results and materials for those who paid for it. Footage from some of the landings was lost simply to mishandling--not that that's Russia's business (masters of burying various and remarkably spectacular launch failures--including their F1 moon rocket--from their Soviet days).

In the case of FIFA, the United States and other countries paid funds to FIFA as part of their membership. Based on the Department's indictment story from the official site, the issue falls under their jurisdiction as U.S. monies were involved and such accused crimes were conducted on U.S. territory. Apparently the recent failures of two Russian launch vehicles, and the internal causes behind them, isn't keeping them busy enough.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/nine-fifa-officials-and-five-corporate-executives-indicted-racketeering-conspiracy-and

Moderators: Just realized this probably should go into General Discussion since it's going all over the place with non-spaceflight controversies, unless FIFA is getting into the space business.
« Last Edit: 06/19/2015 02:13 PM by MattMason »
"Why is the logo on the side of a rocket so important?"
"So you can find the pieces." -Jim, the Steely Eyed

Offline Antilope7724

• Watched Freedom 7 on live TV
  • California
  • Liked: 276
  • Likes Given: 247
Meh (to the investigation. I agree with MattMason).
« Last Edit: 06/19/2015 02:09 PM by Antilope7724 »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2973
  • Likes Given: 7917
When they "finally" get to the Moon, they can take Neil’s “footprint cast” off the surface for the FSB to analyze...
« Last Edit: 06/19/2015 02:26 PM by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Online plutogno

• Toulouse, France and Milan, Italy
  • Liked: 135
  • Likes Given: 8
they just need to dig out the reports of their Apollo radio listening program (which is known to have existed, i remember a Novosti Kosmonavtiki article about it)

Offline stan

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
All countries have their share of batshit-crazy polititians who say stupid things.  In the States, we seem to have a colony of them in Florida, but they are otherwise widely seeded around the country.  I chalk this up to yet another example of the species.

Online plutogno

• Toulouse, France and Milan, Italy
  • Liked: 135
  • Likes Given: 8
the story of the Apollo radio listening program, as reported by Novosti Kosmonavtiki:
http://novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/mag/2005/1045/24532/

Offline SimonShuttle

• Elite Veteran
  • Manchester, England
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 54
Russian Investigative Committee spokesperson Vladimir Markin believes an international investigation into the 1969-1972 U.S. manned moon landings and the disposition of lunar material should be conducted in light of the U.S. "crossing the line" in conducting investigations of FIFA, the international soccer authoritative body (that's "football" to Chris and other subjects of the Crown).

Indeed!

Ironically, America's worldwide popularity is at an all-time high due to the Feds bringing the amazingly corrupt FIFA bosses to task. Got to remember this is the world's most popular sport and light years ahead of any other sport. I know it's growing massively in the States, but for Americans to understand, a regular season game in England gets over 10 times the global TV audience than the Superbowl gets. (Last superbowl was 114m worldwide, most of it in the States. Manchester United vs Liverpool, regular season got 1.4 billion).

By that token, the reaction of the Russians potentially losing the World Cup finals is enough for politicians to get angry and take pokes at the States. So this isn't a surprise, but it's still a stupid subject, the Moon Landings, to go after.
« Last Edit: 06/21/2015 06:58 PM by SimonShuttle »

Offline pargoo

• Lifelong space fan
  • Australia
    • Buran - wait, the Russians had a Space Shuttle?
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 1
"...their disappearance without a trace is our common loss."
This is hysterical, coming from someone who lives in a country that has locked away their space archives from public access since the very beginning :)

Offline Brovane

• United States
  • Liked: 609
  • Likes Given: 1157
The loss of the Apollo-11 raw video feed data is over-blown.  At the time of Apollo NASA didn't even have a historical department and the raw data wasn't thought of as important because they had copied footage off the feed as it was being shown.  Nobody at NASA had conceived that decades later somebody using modern computers could have pulled that raw data off and cleaned up the picture compared to what everyone else had seen.  Of course the questioning of the Apollo lunar landings over this loss of footage ignores the fact that the original footage of Apollo-12,14, 15,16,17 has all been archived and kept.  Here is the NASA report on the loss of the Telemetry data and it is a interesting read. 

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/Apollo_11_TV_Tapes_Report.pdf 
« Last Edit: 06/22/2015 12:37 AM by brovane »
"Look at that! If anybody ever said, "you'll be sitting in a spacecraft naked with a 134-pound backpack on your knees charging it", I'd have said "Aw, get serious". - John Young - Apollo-16

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1786
  • Likes Given: 3387
This is just ranting from a Russian government that has been embarrassed by the FIFA scandals, since the selfsame Russian government seems to have, how shall we put it, funded some of the FIFA corruption in its bid to host the World Cup in a few years.  I can't imagine any other reason for the Russians to react so strongly to the USA-led exposure of the corruption in FIFA.

This is also for Putin's domestic consumption.  I guess he thinks it makes him look strong to his own people.  Makes him look like a laughingstock to the rest of the world, though.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Online Chris Bergin

I'm guessing we can lock this one now and file under silly....especially as it's going to turn into Russia bashing, which I don't want to see here.
« Last Edit: 06/22/2015 02:23 AM by Chris Bergin »

Tags: