Author Topic: FAILURE: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - SpX-7/CRS-7 DRAGON - UPDATES  (Read 297189 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Found some floating debris. Will search for Dragon.

Offline Endeavour_01

• Physics Professor in SC, USA
  • Liked: 464
  • Likes Given: 433
Re: FAILURE: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - SpX-7/CRS-7 DRAGON - UPDATES
« Reply #361 on: 07/20/2015 07:50 pm »
Parabolicarc.com ‏@spacecom  · 31s31 seconds ago 
Musk: Revenue loss will be in the area of hundreds of millions.

I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Offline Chris Bergin

Mass media asking multiple questions. Booooo! ;)

Offline MTom

• EU / Hungary
  • Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 443
« Reply #363 on: 07/20/2015 07:54 pm »
Peter B. de Selding ‏@pbdes
Musk: The F9 that failed was of identical design to previous flights. We've flown 100s of struts of the same design.

Offline Endeavour_01

« Reply #364 on: 07/20/2015 07:55 pm »
Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust  · 23s23 seconds ago 
Musk: no evidence of assembly errors of the strut in high-res closeout photos taken before launch.

I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Offline Garrett

• France
  • Liked: 111
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #365 on: 07/20/2015 07:55 pm »
Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust  · 15s15 seconds ago 
Musk: examination of strut that failed in ground tests showed problems in the grain structure in the steel.

to be taken in context with:
Parabolicarc.com @spacecom
After testing at an enormous number, found one that fialed at below 2,000 lb. level. Did some material analysis, problem w/ grain structure
- "Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." - Indiana Jones

Offline MTom

• EU / Hungary
  • Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 443
« Reply #366 on: 07/20/2015 07:57 pm »
Peter B. de Selding ‏@pbdes
Musk: We think the problem was a bad bolt on the strut that didnt look bad on the ground.

Offline Endeavour_01

« Reply #367 on: 07/20/2015 07:58 pm »
Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust  · 8s8 seconds ago 
And we’re done.

Offline Chris Bergin

Hmmm, either they ran out of time (it was an hour) or my *1 didn't register for asking a question. Booo. Oh, I see others tweeting they never got on either. Fair enough, large demand.

Offline SpaceX_MS

• Liked: 8713
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #369 on: 07/20/2015 08:00 pm »
Hmmm, either they ran out of time (it was an hour) or my *1 didn't register for asking a question. Booo. Oh, I see others tweeting they never got on either. Fair enough, large demand.

150 on the call. They took the first 20 and ran out of time. You can be happier by having the strut info in L2 a week ago! :)

Online llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1351
  • Likes Given: 1586
« Reply #370 on: 07/20/2015 08:01 pm »

Whatever the question was, I'll bet the guys on NSF can answer it for you now!
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 1497
  • Likes Given: 3882
« Reply #371 on: 07/20/2015 08:03 pm »

Out of curiosity, what would you have asked?

Offline Chris Bergin

Out of curiosity, what would you have asked?

By the end I was down to just asking him about the investigation resources being used. Dragon, FH, V1.2 and such were all answered before the end.

Anyhoo, I'm forgetting myself here. Update thread.

Discussion thread from now on (as it'll all be discussion). Going to write up the article.
« Last Edit: 07/21/2015 10:17 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline Stan-1967

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 326
  • Likes Given: 212
« Reply #373 on: 07/20/2015 08:16 pm »

150 on the call. They took the first 20 and ran out of time. You can be happier by having the strut info in L2 a week ago! :)

That's what makes this site so valuable to me.   Initial speculations here were really focused on the docking adapter payload, however as the failure thread went on, it move to the He/COPV system, and any associated hardware that could account for the failure mode.   Massive failure of the COPV bottle itself just seemed too unlikely, but was not completely discounted.   Software and telemetry discussions were also interesting, and cool to note that the telemetry that pointed to this was in multiple acoustic/accelerometer sensors that triangulated the strut location as the cause.   Identifying this after all our discussion here as to the telemetry capability to sample in real time from all sources, vs. buffering and relaying data out of time sequence seem to play into the SpaceX analysis.

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 231
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #374 on: 07/20/2015 09:16 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/embed/tc8XxMawhBo

The first 10 minutes of the presser.
« Last Edit: 07/20/2015 09:17 pm by Eagandale4114 »

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 231
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #375 on: 07/20/2015 09:53 pm »
Full audio. (Via reddit link)
« Last Edit: 07/20/2015 09:53 pm by Eagandale4114 »

Offline ScottMC

• Hamilton, New Zealand
  • Liked: 116
  • Likes Given: 325
« Reply #377 on: 07/21/2015 12:25 am »
SpaceX Update from their website http://www.spacex.com/news/2015/07/20/crs-7-investigation-update

On June 28, 2015, following a nominal liftoff, Falcon 9 experienced an overpressure event in the upper stage liquid oxygen tank approximately 139 seconds into flight, resulting in loss of mission. This summary represents an initial assessment, but further investigation may reveal more over time.

Prior to the mishap, the first stage of the vehicle, including all nine Merlin 1D engines, operated nominally; the first stage actually continued to power through the overpressure event on the second stage for several seconds following the mishap.  In addition, the Dragon spacecraft not only survived the second stage event, but also continued to communicate until the vehicle dropped below the horizon and out of range.

SpaceX has led the investigation efforts with oversight from the FAA and participation from NASA and the U.S. Air Force.  Review of the flight data proved challenging both because of the volume of data —over 3,000 telemetry channels as well as video and physical debris—and because the key events happened very quickly.

From the first indication of an issue to loss of all telemetry was just 0.893 seconds.  Over the last few weeks, engineering teams have spent thousands of hours going through the painstaking process of matching up data across rocket systems down to the millisecond to understand that final 0.893 seconds prior to loss of telemetry.

At this time, the investigation remains ongoing, as SpaceX and the investigation team continue analyzing  significant amounts of data and conducting additional testing that must be completed in order to fully validate these conclusions.  However,  given the currently available data, we believe we have identified a potential cause.

Preliminary analysis suggests the overpressure event in the upper stage liquid oxygen tank was initiated by a flawed piece of support hardware (a “strut”) inside the second stage.  Several hundred struts fly on every Falcon 9 vehicle, with a cumulative flight history of several thousand. The strut that we believe failed was designed and material certified to handle 10,000 lbs of force, but failed at 2,000 lbs, a five-fold difference. Detailed close-out photos of stage construction show no visible flaws or damage of any kind.

In the case of the CRS-7 mission, it appears that one of these supporting pieces inside the second stage failed approximately 138 seconds into flight. The pressurization system itself was performing nominally, but with the failure of this strut, the helium system integrity was breached.  This caused a high pressure event inside the second stage within less than one second and the stage was no longer able to maintain its structural integrity.

Despite the fact that these struts have been used on all previous Falcon 9 flights and are certified to withstand well beyond the expected loads during flight, SpaceX will no longer use these particular struts for flight applications.  In addition, SpaceX will implement additional hardware quality audits throughout the vehicle to further ensure all parts received perform as expected per their certification documentation.

As noted above, these conclusions are preliminary.  Our investigation is ongoing until we exonerate all other aspects of the vehicle, but at this time, we expect to return to flight this fall and fly all the customers we intended to fly in 2015 by end of year

While the CRS-7 loss is regrettable, this review process invariably will, in the end, yield a safer and more reliable launch vehicle for all of our customers, including NASA, the United States Air Force, and commercial purchasers of launch services.  Critically, the vehicle will be even safer as we begin to carry U.S. astronauts to the International Space Station in 2017.

Interesting point highlighted by me.

Offline kdhilliard

• Kirk
  • Tanstaa, FL
  • Liked: 304
  • Likes Given: 879
« Reply #378 on: 07/22/2015 01:30 am »
A complete transcript of yesterday's telecon is now available: http://shitelonsays.com/transcript/elon-musk-talks-failed-crs-7-dragon-mission-2015-07-20

~Kirk

Online QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3788
  • Likes Given: 895
« Reply #379 on: 07/22/2015 01:38 am »
A complete transcript of yesterday's telecon is now available: http://shitelonsays.com/transcript/elon-musk-talks-failed-crs-7-dragon-mission-2015-07-20

Some fantastic transcribing work there. Kirk also did the ISS R&D Conference interview, for anyone who missed it.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Tags: