Author Topic: FAILURE: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - SpX-7/CRS-7 DRAGON - UPDATES  (Read 297298 times)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8430
  • Likes Given: 6773
Keith Cowling: For Mike: talk about skip cycle, in old plans you could have two failures,

Mike: we have evolved from skip cycle, but we try to protect for 6 months on orbit, about 45 days before zero it is time for crew return planning. We are at 4 months, but trying to get back up to 6, and do research, plan was to be back to 6 by end of year, but now we need to replan.  if we don't have a vehicle soon though we will be planning this about 75 days out from now. But we are not yet in that position. vehicles to fly to ISS are in queue although we have work to do to get spares built and up there.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
Anya RT america: Gerst mentioned need for funding, what is the dependency? how does it help

Gerst: We have one crew provider. We want a US provider to augment. Preferably two. We want to end sole reliance on russians. Two dissimilar means or even 3. Want to get to 3 means.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
SpaceJunkle: Mike how will loss of an EMU affect outside activity

Mike: we planned to bring home 3011 which had the pump pulled. We may replace the pump and keep it operational. There are 3 other EMUs on board.  if we can sort the anomaly with the pump we would be ok for a while but we'd rather get new units up there as some EMUS are getting old

Online Chris Bergin

There was a camera in the LOX tank on the FIRST stage, but not the second stage - which is where the problem was.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
Stephany someone from HuffPo: Gwynne, previous vids showed stuff.  do you have vid in the S2 LOX tank?

Gwynne: don't think we had S2 LOX  cam, we did have S1 LOX cam, we have over 3000 telemetry channels and will look at whaever we can. we will look at everythyihng

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
Miriam Cramer from Mashable: How large of a debris field are you looking at? how big?

Gwynne: no estimate but will ask recovery team
Pam: no idea either

(there was a radar image posted before that suggested a large field)

Online Chris Bergin

Dragon LAS would have saved the crew in this event.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
Caltech NASA social:  will commercial dragon have abort to save cargo and crew and experiments

Gwynne: escape system would have taken astronauts away  after an anomaly like this... would have handled a far more energeetic event... not a first stage issue. Dragon telemetry after the event ... it survived dfor a while

sorry that the transcript was a bit ragged toward the end I was half a question behind

i
« Last Edit: 06/28/2015 05:57 pm by Lar »

Online Chris Bergin

Presser over. So remember to keep follow ups on the discussion thread. Updates only here.

Will continue to modify the article on site, but will write a standalone based on updates later.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
321 867 2121 is the debris hotline, if you find any please call!  conference ends

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 728
if you missed anything....

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Online Chris Bergin

So this is our current baseline article for the mission and its loss:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/06/falcon-9-crs-7-dragon-commute-orbit/

More articles to follow as more information arises.

This is an update only thread and only updates should be posted in here - and when I say updates, I mean information updates, not "I've heard a rumor" tweets.

Thanks!

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 391
  • Likes Given: 463
http://www.patrick.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123452110

by 45th Space Wing
Public Affairs

6/28/2015 - CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla.  -- After a successful liftoff from the Eastern Range, 45th Space Wing, Space X and NASA officials experienced an anomaly of the Falcon 9 CRS-7 mission June 28 at approximately 148 seconds into flight over the Atlantic Ocean. 

Range officials are currently evaluating the data to determine the exact cause of the anomaly and additional information will be released as it becomes available.

The anomaly occurred over the Atlantic Ocean and as a result of tide movement over the next several hours, debris may begin washing ashore. If you spot debris in the water or see it washed up anywhere along the Eastern Florida shore report it to either NASA's debris reporting hotline at 321-867-2121 or Patrick Air Force Base at 321-494-7001 or contact your nearest local law enforcement official. Do not attempt to pick it up or make cell phone calls near it. Gather all information that clearly identifies its location of the debris but only do so after leaving the area. Some of the debris may be toxic or explosive in nature and may be potentially hazardous, which is why it needs to be reported to and handled by trained professionals. Additionally, please keep in mind that all debris is considered part of an official investigation.   

The exact cause of today's anomaly is currently under investigation.

Offline John44

• Elite Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • space-multimedia
  • Liked: 175
  • Likes Given: 0

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1462
  • Likes Given: 887
YouTube version:

« Last Edit: 06/28/2015 10:38 pm by yg1968 »

Offline rtphokie

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 6
cargo manifest
« Reply #295 on: 06/28/2015 10:42 pm »
Is there a cargo manifest available for CRS-7?  Previous SpaceX flights have published them but all I've seen is the very high level 2 sentence mention in the press kit

http://www.spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/spacex_nasa_crs-7_presskit.pdf

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 793
  • Likes Given: 24
Is there a cargo manifest available for CRS-7?  Previous SpaceX flights have published them but all I've seen is the very high level 2 sentence mention in the press kit

Not all that detailed, but it is broken down a little:
http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/spacex_crs7_mission_overview.pdf

Offline InfraNut2

Not all that detailed, but it is broken down a little:
http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/spacex_crs7_mission_overview.pdf

Have not seen any published with a further breakdown by weight or categories (though SpaceX/NASA must have them for internal use), but Spaceflight101 have at least compiled more information about payloads including the spacesuit, dove-cubesats and more: http://www.spaceflight101.com/dragon-spx-7-cargo-overview.html

Also worth mentioning that some of the cargo were re-flights of things lost in the other recent launch failures, like for example some of the student experiments, a set of multi-filtration beds, some of the crew supplies etc. (Some crew supplies are specific to the individual astronauts, like for example crew-choice food, crew-selected/sized clothing, etc).

Offline Zachstar

• Expert
  • Washington State
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 2
Not good.

Quote from Elon on Twitter

Cause still unknown after several thousand engineering-hours of review. Now parsing data with a hex editor to recover final milliseconds.
« Last Edit: 06/29/2015 08:18 am by Zachstar »

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 793
  • Likes Given: 24
SpaceX Debris Recovery Hotline
Steven Siceloff June 29, 2015

SpaceX has established a recovery hotline and email address for anyone who finds debris from the SpaceX CRS-7 mission. The phone number should be active by 4 p.m. EDT.

Debris Recovery Hotline: 866-392-0035
Debris Recovery Email: [email protected]

https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacex/2015/06/29/spacex-debris-recovery-hotline/
« Last Edit: 06/29/2015 08:40 pm by AnalogMan »

Tags: