Author Topic: FAILURE: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - SpX-7/CRS-7 DRAGON - UPDATES  (Read 297178 times)

Offline Endeavour_01

• Physics Professor in SC, USA
  • Liked: 464
  • Likes Given: 433
Re: FAILURE: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - SpX-7/CRS-7 DRAGON - UPDATES
« Reply #340 on: 07/20/2015 07:29 pm »
Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust  ∑ 5s5 seconds ago 
Musk: not going to move strut work in-house, but will move to a different design likely from a different supplier.

I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Offline Endeavour_01

« Reply #341 on: 07/20/2015 07:31 pm »
Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust  ∑ 7s7 seconds ago 
Musk: able to replicate by taking 1000s of these struts and testing; a few failed well below rated level.

I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Offline Endeavour_01

« Reply #342 on: 07/20/2015 07:34 pm »
Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust  ∑ 8s8 seconds ago 
Musk: donít think we need to add more struts, just test them individually.

Online MTom

• EU / Hungary
  • Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 443
« Reply #343 on: 07/20/2015 07:35 pm »
Peter B. de Selding ‏@pbdes
Musk: this strut was designed to handle 10,000 lbs of load, failed at 2,000 lbs. But I dont want to sound definitive at this stage.

Offline kevinof

• Antibes
  • Liked: 528
  • Likes Given: 581
« Reply #344 on: 07/20/2015 07:37 pm »
Parabolicarc.com ‏@spacecom  45s46 seconds ago
Musk: several reasons they don't think helium tank burst. Acoustic triangulation via accelerometers on upper stage.

Offline kevinof

• Antibes
  • Liked: 528
  • Likes Given: 581
« Reply #345 on: 07/20/2015 07:38 pm »
Parabolicarc.com ‏@spacecom  1m1 minute ago
Acoustic triangulation points to the strut as being the failure. If crack in helium bottle liner, would have been a more continuous release.

Offline Endeavour_01

« Reply #346 on: 07/20/2015 07:38 pm »
Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust  ∑ 14s14 seconds ago 
Musk: briefed customers last week, they agree with our conclusions so far.

Offline Chris Bergin

Same Strut on both stages.

Offline rubtest

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #348 on: 07/20/2015 07:40 pm »
Chris: did somebody asked if SX  succeed to locate/salvage the CRS-7 Dragon ??

Offline Endeavour_01

« Reply #349 on: 07/20/2015 07:40 pm »
Parabolicarc.com ‏@spacecom  ∑ 9s9 seconds ago 
Musk: same strut on upper and lower stages. Will be replacing them in both.

Offline Kim Keller

• Not OldSpace, Not NewSpace - I'm ALLSpace
  • Liked: 2409
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #350 on: 07/20/2015 07:41 pm »
Chris: did somebody asked if SX  succeed to locate/salvage the CRS-7 Dragon ??

They found some pieces of it.

Online MTom

• EU / Hungary
  • Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 443
« Reply #351 on: 07/20/2015 07:41 pm »
Peter B. de Selding ‏@pbdes
Musk: ITAR tech-export regs limit our disclosures to non-US customers. All customers supportive so far. Musk says he appreciates that.

Offline Endeavour_01

« Reply #352 on: 07/20/2015 07:42 pm »
Musk: most SpaceX employees have only seen successful launches. Thus, you donít fear failure quite as much.

Offline Chris Bergin

Elon tells SpaceXers to call his cell phone if they are unsure of any hardware element.

Offline Endeavour_01

« Reply #354 on: 07/20/2015 07:45 pm »
Musk: likely to change the bulk of the material in support struts to Inconel, but no final decision on that yet,

Offline Endeavour_01

« Reply #355 on: 07/20/2015 07:48 pm »
Parabolicarc.com ‏@spacecom  ∑ 21s21 seconds ago 
At first didn't think it was strut, tested a bunch of them and none failed at level in flight. Failed at 6000 lbs of thrust, not 2,000 lbs.

Offline Endeavour_01

« Reply #357 on: 07/20/2015 07:49 pm »
Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust  ∑ 15s15 seconds ago 
Musk: examination of strut that failed in ground tests showed problems in the grain structure in the steel.

Offline Chris Bergin

SpaceX don't insure their launches.

Offline Endeavour_01

« Reply #359 on: 07/20/2015 07:50 pm »
TWC Space Weather ‏@twcspacewx  ∑ 3m3 minutes ago 
Musk: The first Dragon v2 flights will be without crew, so they will carry cargo.

Tags: