Author Topic: Gemini IV -- Learning to Walk in Space  (Read 2976 times)

Online Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 482
  • Likes Given: 933
Re: Gemini IV -- Learning to Walk in Space
« Reply #1 on: 06/03/2015 01:29 PM »
Gemini IV launch coverage from CBS.

Attended space missions: STS-114, STS-124, STS-128, STS-135, Atlas V "Curiosity", Delta IV Heavy NROL-15, Atlas V MUOS-2, Delta IV Heavy NROL-37, Falcon 9 CRS-9, Falcon 9 JCSAT-16, Atlas V GOES-R, Falcon 9 SES-11, Falcon Heavy Demo, Falcon 9 Es'hail-2.

Offline Antilope7724

• Watched Freedom 7 on live TV
  • California
  • Liked: 276
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #2 on: 06/03/2015 03:59 PM »
Wow, 4 days in space in an area the size of the front seat of a compact car. I'd want to get out for a walk, also.  :D

Online Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 482
  • Likes Given: 933
« Reply #3 on: 06/03/2015 05:40 PM »
Wow, 4 days in space in an area the size of the front seat of a compact car. I'd want to get out for a walk, also.  :D

Think you could do 14?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_7
Attended space missions: STS-114, STS-124, STS-128, STS-135, Atlas V "Curiosity", Delta IV Heavy NROL-15, Atlas V MUOS-2, Delta IV Heavy NROL-37, Falcon 9 CRS-9, Falcon 9 JCSAT-16, Atlas V GOES-R, Falcon 9 SES-11, Falcon Heavy Demo, Falcon 9 Es'hail-2.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1786
  • Likes Given: 3387
« Reply #4 on: 06/03/2015 05:44 PM »

It was the 8- and 14-day missions that took real motivation to get through -- and neither of those missions let anyone go out for a walk!

Pete Conrad, the pilot on Gemini V, was once quoted about that mission, "Talk about something that, after a while, you would just give anything to get out of..."

At least the Gemini VII crew were given lightweight (mainly canvas) suits that they could actually wriggle out of on-orbit.  Unfortunately, the mission directors didn't trust the Gemini ECS enough to let both guys take their suits off at the same time, so over the course of two weeks neither guy got to fly in his underwear for more than three or four days total, and never both at the same time.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #5 on: 06/03/2015 05:51 PM »
Really nice NASA.gov feature:
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/gemini-iv-learning-to-walk-in-space

Nice article!  BTW, NASA TV was running a very nice retrospective -- "50 Years of EVA" -- yesterday.  I imagine they will run it again today.  It had a lot of commentary by various people who have gone EVA over the half-century.

One interesting note was raised by Story Musgrave.  He said that the first Hubble repair mission surprised him in only one major way -- he was cold.  "It turns out," he said, "that all of our previous EVAs were 'hot EVAs,' and this was the first one that was a cold EVA."  (I imagine this was because the heat rejection system assumes a certain amount of solar heating to the system, and that first set of Hubble repair EVAs took place, for at least Musgrave, to a large extent inside the Hubble itself, shaded from the Sun.)

Offline catdlr

• Viewed launches since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 2196
  • Likes Given: 1545
« Reply #6 on: 06/03/2015 07:30 PM »
Ed White Ambassador of Exploration

Published on Jun 3, 2015
On June 3, 1965, when Gemini IV astronaut Ed White emerged from his spacecraft into the blackness of space, he became the first American to walk in space. For more than 20 minutes, White maneuvered himself around the Gemini spacecraft while it traveled from over Hawaii to the Gulf of Mexico--making his orbital stroll 6,500 miles long.

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #7 on: 06/03/2015 07:32 PM »
Suit Up - 50 Years of Spacewalks

Published on Jun 1, 2015
This NASA documentary celebrates 50 years of extravehicular activity (EVA) or spacewalks that began with the first two EVAs conducted by Russian Alexey Leonov in March 1965 and American astronaut Edward White in June 1965 . The documentary features interviews with NASA Administrator and astronaut, Charles Bolden, NASA Deputy Administrator and spacesuit designer, Dava Newman, as well as other astronauts, engineers, technicians, managers and luminaries of spacewalk history. They share their personal stories and thoughts that cover the full EVA experience-- from the early spacewalking experiences, to spacesuit manufacturing, to modern day spacewalks aboard the International Space Station as well as what the future holds for humans working on a tether in space. "Suit Up," is narrated by actor and fan of space exploration Jon Cryer. Cryer recently traveled to Star City, NASA Headquarters and the Johnson Space Center to film an upcoming Travel Channel documentary series.

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #8 on: 06/04/2015 01:32 AM »
NASA Celebrates 50 Years of Space Suits

Published on Jun 3, 2015
50 years ago, Ed White became the first American to walk in space. NASA used the technology from pressure suits worn for high altitude flights to perfect the space suit.

Here, NASA ER-2 research pilot Donald Stuart Broce describes some of the challenges of wearing a pressure suit.

Tony De La Rosa

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #9 on: 06/08/2015 02:52 AM »
You know, all of the images of Ed White on his EVA show very clearly that Ed had a camera attached to the hand-held maneuvering unit.  But you never seem to see any of the pictures Ed took.

Well, they're out there.  Some of them were pretty badly underexposed, and none of them are of epic quality or composition.  But, being as they were the first pictures taken by an EVA crewman of his vehicle, I think they're of historical interest -- and cool as hell.

Here are the ones I've been able to find and clean up as best as I could.

Offline Antilope7724

• California
« Reply #10 on: 06/08/2015 05:31 PM »
Those black lines on the adapter section appear to be paint or tape. Must have been applied for thermal control. The all white surface probably kept the interior of the adapter too cool. Pictures from further away on the various Gemini mission make the lines look like grooves or part of the physical structure of the adapter.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #11 on: 06/09/2015 01:02 AM »
Yeah, I noticed that.  I think you're right, I'd guess it's metal tape as opposed to paint, but I could be wrong.

Also, there is something I can't resist in terms of the historic images of Ed White performing America's first EVA.

Everyone has seen Ed's best side -- the earth and the Gemini reflected in the gold visor, the kewl-looking HHMU "jet gun" in hand and being brandished, etc.  But there is an excellent picture of The Other Side of Ed White, and I want to share it with y'all now.  It's one of my favorite images of the EVA, maybe just for the sake of being perverse.

It is one of the sharpest images of Ed during his EVA, and it gives some good detail on how the suit zips up...  :D

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #12 on: 06/11/2015 04:45 PM »
In re the black striping on the adapter section, must have only been on the early Gemini spacecraft.  The Gemini IX spacecraft (spacecraft 9, if I'm not mistaken) was photographed in flight by Gene Cernan, and it doesn't feature the black stripes at all.

Offline Antilope7724

• California
« Reply #13 on: 06/11/2015 05:08 PM »
In re the black striping on the adapter section, must have only been on the early Gemini spacecraft.  The Gemini IX spacecraft (spacecraft 9, if I'm not mistaken) was photographed in flight by Gene Cernan, and it doesn't feature the black stripes at all.

I was going to suggest that the difference was battery powered Gemini spacecraft vs fuel-cell powered Gemini spacecraft. But photos of the Gemini 7 (powered by fuel cells for its 2-week mission) show stripes on the adapter section. So it's not that.

Is it possible that data from early flights showed that the stripes were not necessary after all?

The Mercury capsule retro package was also covered with stripes, probably also for thermal control.
« Last Edit: 06/11/2015 05:20 PM by Antilope7724 »

Offline okan170

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 6557
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #14 on: 06/11/2015 07:38 PM »
According to a discussion on collectSpace, the stripes were to reduce the effectiveness of the radiator, since it was found to be a little too effective.  By Gemini 8, the tape stripes were replaced with velcro patches which preformed the same function, but were also helpful on EVA activities.

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum29/HTML/001330.html

Tags: