Author Topic: Fairing reuse  (Read 430455 times)

Offline Dao Angkan

• Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: Fairing reuse
« Reply #780 on: 03/31/2017 12:56 AM »
BREAKING news:  Payload fairing LANDED SUCCESSFULLY.  Fairing has thruster systems and steerable parachute.  Was just shown pic of intact fairing floating in ocean.

Wowzers.
Very impressive.

Does anyone have any idea what one of these fairing costs? IIRC they were made by a Swiss company, but I'm not sure if SX brought their mfg in house.

In the press conference Musk said $6 million.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6732
  • Likes Given: 4522
« Reply #781 on: 03/31/2017 12:59 AM »
So this pair of fairings (floating at sea) was perhaps analogous to the first F9 S1 that "landed" in the ocean... and perhaps we'll see more leased barges equipped for fairing recovery duty?

The SpaceX flotilla is going to need a flagship and an Admiral :)

Has anyone run calcs on the kg ratio? (1kg of S2 mass is one less kg of payload mass, but one kg of additional fairing mass is less than 1g of lost payload because the fairings are ejected early, but it's not the same ratio as S1 mass which is more like 10:1 I think?) Maybe I missed it?

Also ...  AFRS??? (Automated Fairing Recovery Ship)
« Last Edit: 03/31/2017 01:07 AM by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Joel

• Wisconsin
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #782 on: 03/31/2017 01:06 AM »
How far from the drone ship should one expect the fairing to splash down? With a reasonable glide ratio, could it splash down next to it?

Online john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 999
  • Likes Given: 6561
« Reply #783 on: 03/31/2017 01:17 AM »
Interesting.

When Shotwell was talking about a fully reusable F9 she said they were looking to lower prices to about $6m

Obviously you can't do that if just the fairing replacement eats that up.  :(

With this as 10% of your retail price something will have to be done.

BFS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of flying in Earth and Mars atmospheres. BFR. The worlds biggest Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured booster for BFS. First flight to Mars by end of 2022. Forward looking statements. T&C Apply So, you are going to Mars to start a better life? Picture it in your mind. Now say what it is out loud.

Offline Geron

• Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Fairing reuse/cost
« Reply #784 on: 03/31/2017 01:19 AM »
At my SpaceX tour it was explained that the fairings were very expensive and difficult to manufacture. It was either 3.5 or 7 million at that time. I'm not sure if 3.5 was for one clamshell or both.

It's possible the cost has dropped since then though...

Offline virnin

• Kansas
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #785 on: 03/31/2017 01:33 AM »
BREAKING news:  Payload fairing LANDED SUCCESSFULLY.  Fairing has thruster systems and steerable parachute.  Was just shown pic of intact fairing floating in ocean.

Wowzers.

Maybe this is what SES gets in their Board Room?  ;)  (Yes, that would need a really BIG board room!)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6732
  • Likes Given: 4522
« Reply #786 on: 03/31/2017 01:34 AM »
Maybe this is what SES gets in their Board Room?  ;)  (Yes, that would need a really BIG board room!)

It's already got their logo on it... :)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online chad1011

• Anderson, SC
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #787 on: 03/31/2017 01:37 AM »
It would make on heck of a boardroom table....

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #788 on: 03/31/2017 01:38 AM »
« Last Edit: 03/31/2017 01:39 AM by TrevorMonty »

Offline Dao Angkan

« Reply #789 on: 03/31/2017 02:05 AM »
Interesting.

When Shotwell was talking about a fully reusable F9 she said they were looking to lower prices to about $6m

Obviously you can't do that if just the fairing replacement eats that up.  :(

With this as 10% of your retail price something will have to be done.

He also joked(?) about despite not designing the second stage to return that maybe they should attempt to anyway as nothing to lose. He can sound mischievous at times, but there's usually some basis to what he says, so maybe they'll start to experiment with the second stage?

Online ClayJar

• Baton Rouge, LA, USA
  • Liked: 746
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #790 on: 03/31/2017 02:06 AM »

In the presser, Martin Halliwell laughed that it was the wrong half (with the American flag instead of SES's logo).  From the sound of it, the photo was of one half.  I wonder if they had recovery hardware on both halves or just on one half (for a control test from space down to a water landing).

Offline Dao Angkan

« Reply #791 on: 03/31/2017 02:12 AM »
Musk following on from fairing recovery;

Then the only thing left is the upper stage. We didn't originally intend for Falcon 9 to have a reusable upper stage, but it might be fun to try a Hail Mary and you know, what's the worst thing that can happen? It blows up. You know, It blows up anyway.
« Last Edit: 03/31/2017 02:14 AM by Dao Angkan »

Offline manoweb

• Tracer of rays
  • Hayward CA
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #792 on: 03/31/2017 02:15 AM »
I cannot express how excited I am for this dream that is becoming true. Fairing recovery! So many dismissed this idea as impossible, especially on this flight. I cannot wait to see images and know more details, but apparently what we know now is:
- thrusters
- automated parachutes
- in the future, some sort of floating structure to keep it dry
- we also know that it landed close enough to some support boat that they were able to shoot a picture of it about an hour from separation

I hope we will see soon what is the trajectory of the fairings during their descent.

Offline Dao Angkan

« Reply #793 on: 03/31/2017 02:18 AM »

In the presser, Martin Halliwell laughed that it was the wrong half (with the American flag instead of SES's logo).  From the sound of it, the photo was of one half.  I wonder if they had recovery hardware on both halves or just on one half (for a control test from space down to a water landing).

That makes sense, no need to double the extra weight when you only need to bring one back to prove the feasibility.

Online rsdavis9

« Reply #794 on: 03/31/2017 02:27 AM »
Did he really say bouncy house? I said that upthread a ways.
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4297
  • Likes Given: 859
« Reply #795 on: 03/31/2017 02:28 AM »

Very good observation there.  A no-brainer if you think about it.

EDIT:

... and if they got the wrong half, at least a bumper sticker: "The other half says SES on it"
« Last Edit: 03/31/2017 02:32 AM by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online ClayJar

• Baton Rouge, LA, USA
  • Liked: 746
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #796 on: 03/31/2017 02:34 AM »

Fairing recovery starts at 12:05 when a guy walks in and shows Elon the photo of the floating fairing.

Did he really say bouncy house? I said that upthread a ways.

14:16 "So, what we'll have is kinda like a bouncy castle for it to land on."

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #797 on: 03/31/2017 02:40 AM »
Do we know how intact the fairing is on the sea? If you check out the Chinese rockets threads you will see multiple examples of the fairing making back on land relatively intact, but I am sure no one will like to use them back.  ;)
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2881
  • Likes Given: 2249
« Reply #798 on: 03/31/2017 03:28 AM »
Today's was a test of the concept. Soft landed a fairing half at a known location.

Ariane, Soyuz, and others have by accident recovered fairings mostly intact. The difference here is deterministic result with controlled flight and a means to direct recovery to a specific location.

Next time its done you get both fairings recovered and dry.

The best benefit of this success is that it will lower the time it will take to recover the cost of reuse, because the increment of payoff has grown.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 425
  • Likes Given: 319
« Reply #799 on: 03/31/2017 06:01 AM »
Finally, Go Searcher has a trophy to bring home..  :)
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Tags: