Author Topic: Fairing reuse  (Read 330187 times)

Offline cscott

• Liked: 1843
  • Likes Given: 658
Re: Fairing reuse
« Reply #760 on: 03/30/2017 05:06 PM »
Confirmation!

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 5786
  • Likes Given: 3880
« Reply #761 on: 03/30/2017 05:11 PM »
Steve Jurvetson on Facebook :

Quote from: Steve Jurvetson
At the historic Apollo 11 Pad 39A for the first reuse of a SpaceX booster (and first attempt at a fairing recovery). Go SpaceX and SES-10, go, go go!

He probably has a better handle than most of us on this, since he is (from his FB page)....
- Board of Directors at SpaceX
- Board of Directors at Tesla
- Partner at DFJ

He didn't accept my friend request yet, oddly...

We've not seen a lot of signs of this being tested but maybe they did most of it out at sea. 

(just wow!)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 553
  • Likes Given: 148
« Reply #762 on: 03/30/2017 05:23 PM »
Must mean that the recovery gear doesn't weight much as this is a marginal mission for booster recovery to start with. Would've expected the next one (NROL) to be far more likely candidate due to the margins there since it is a RTLS.

Of course on SES-10 they have the SpaceX Flotilla out there already, while on a RTLS mission they would have to go out separately just for the fairing(s).

Offline Toast

« Reply #763 on: 03/30/2017 05:58 PM »
Steve Jurvetson on Facebook :

Quote from: Steve Jurvetson
At the historic Apollo 11 Pad 39A for the first reuse of a SpaceX booster (and first attempt at a fairing recovery). Go SpaceX and SES-10, go, go go!

Guess I get to eat my words then. Sounds like this will be an awesome launch!

Offline Machdiamond

• Quebec
    • Luc Van Bavel Design
  • Liked: 110
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #764 on: 03/30/2017 06:04 PM »
When Musk tweeted a few days ago "If fate is on our side, it will be amazing", maybe this is what he was referring to.

Offline NX-0

• USA
  • Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #765 on: 03/30/2017 06:53 PM »
How fast is the fairing going when it splashes now? The shape creates some drag. How slow does a fairing have to be to withstand damage at splash?

Also, it's odd how, when I heard "inflatable," I was thinking something completely different than the rest of you.
Suppose that inside the fairing wall you installed a deflated "beach ball".
As the fairing tumbled and fell through the atmosphere, at some point, the beach ball would inflate. This would increase drag significantly.
At splash, it also makes it very buoyant. It just rides the waves until someone comes and gets it.

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 454
  • Likes Given: 397
« Reply #766 on: 03/30/2017 07:20 PM »
How fast is the fairing going when it splashes now? The shape creates some drag. How slow does a fairing have to be to withstand damage at splash?

Also, it's odd how, when I heard "inflatable," I was thinking something completely different than the rest of you.
As the fairing tumbled and fell through the atmosphere, at some point, the beach ball would inflate. This would increase drag significantly.
At splash, it also makes it very buoyant. It just rides the waves until someone comes and gets it.

Except Gwynne Shotwell has explicitly stated that they will not be getting the fairings wet.
Waiting for joy and raptor

Offline envy887

• Liked: 1376
  • Likes Given: 915
« Reply #767 on: 03/30/2017 07:21 PM »

Musk said a while ago that they were going to try steerable parachutes, and Shotwell said a few weeks ago that they don't want to get the fairings wet.

Maybe they will have both an inflatable and a chute on the fairing, but I have a hard time seeing anything like that keeping it totally out of the water.

Offline vanoord

• Liked: 311
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #768 on: 03/30/2017 07:31 PM »
Just getting the thing down in one piece would be an achievement, even if it got wet at the end - that's how they started with F9.

Offline Chris_Pi

• Wisconsin
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #769 on: 03/30/2017 07:33 PM »
Musk said a while ago that they were going to try steerable parachutes, and Shotwell said a few weeks ago that they don't want to get the fairings wet.

Maybe they will have both an inflatable and a chute on the fairing, but I have a hard time seeing anything like that keeping it totally out of the water.

Don't think packing enough airbags into the fairing to make it it's own boat is practical, So:

Flyback to land - Probably can't cover the distance.

Landing on barge/ship - Needs to be pretty accurate and haven't seen anything other than the usual support ships, But a plain old deck cargo barge is all that's likely needed. Rent a couple for a week or so and throw some big airbags on top as cushions.

Mid-air snag with aircraft -  Not much anyone would know about publicly until a helicopter flies past trailing a fairing half behind. Wait and see.

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 696
  • Likes Given: 799
« Reply #770 on: 03/30/2017 07:43 PM »
I'm sticking with the airship with a cargo hold model till they tell me otherwise..
You KNOW he has to have a secret island somewhere too... right!
Colonize Mars!

Online AncientU

• Liked: 3131
  • Likes Given: 4442
« Reply #771 on: 03/30/2017 08:14 PM »
Secret Island is my bet, too.

Since so many eyes are on this launch, though, they might forego the real plan and snag the steerable gliders from a 'civilian' base in the Bahamas (Marsh Harbor).
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline vanoord

• Liked: 311
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #772 on: 03/30/2017 08:35 PM »

Don't think packing enough airbags into the fairing to make it it's own boat is practical, So:

Not a thoroughly daft idea, but it might add 200kg to each fairing.

I reckon any decent inflatable boat / liferaft manufacturer would be able to make a deployable 'boat' that could be popped out from the outside of the fairing and rapidly inflated just before touchdown under parachute, but the weight gain might equate to the loss of the booster core. Which is less than ideal.

I'm also unconvinced that even with some sort of pop-out liferaft the fairing would remain dry in the sort of conditions we've seen stages land in.

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 873
  • Likes Given: 5539
« Reply #773 on: 03/30/2017 10:59 PM »
I take it SX have not released a nifty little video of their plans. That is curiously shy of them :)

Well assuming you're going to do it I guess a key question would be do you want the segments together or apart?

Historically they've separated. Those segments don't look very stable so how do you stabilize them to minimize damage from high speed airflow. While the look sort of canoe shaped they are a canoe with  no back, so likely to be quite flimsy. Despite their high surface area they are still likely to be moving too fast to survive if they hit the water without something to slow them down.

Then how do you recover them? Mid air capture?  Helium balloon?

"Solids are a branch of fireworks, not rocketry. :-) :-) ", Henry Spencer 1/28/11  Averse to bold? You must be in marketing."It's all in the sequencing" K. Mattingly.  STS-Keeping most of the stakeholders happy most of the time.
So you're going to Mars to seek a better life. What does that mean to you? Always spot a fanbois by how they react to their idols failures.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2256
  • Likes Given: 464
« Reply #774 on: 03/30/2017 11:57 PM »
Chris Gebhardt reporting pic of SES-10 fairing has been shown intact floating on ocean after splashdown.
« Last Edit: 03/31/2017 12:08 AM by Kabloona »

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 2836
  • Likes Given: 1787
« Reply #775 on: 03/30/2017 11:59 PM »
Chris Gebhart reporting fairing has been recovered.

:o Cool!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #776 on: 03/31/2017 12:00 AM »
BREAKING news:  Payload fairing LANDED SUCCESSFULLY.  Fairing has thruster systems and steerable parachute.  Was just shown pic of intact fairing floating in ocean.

Wowzers.

Offline Dao Angkan

• Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #777 on: 03/31/2017 12:25 AM »
Wow! If they can ocean land succesfully then landing on an ocean based platform might seem plausible. What an awesome mission!

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 873
  • Likes Given: 5539
« Reply #778 on: 03/31/2017 12:46 AM »
BREAKING news:  Payload fairing LANDED SUCCESSFULLY.  Fairing has thruster systems and steerable parachute.  Was just shown pic of intact fairing floating in ocean.

Wowzers.
Very impressive.

Does anyone have any idea what one of these fairing costs? IIRC they were made by a Swiss company, but I'm not sure if SX brought their mfg in house.
"Solids are a branch of fireworks, not rocketry. :-) :-) ", Henry Spencer 1/28/11  Averse to bold? You must be in marketing."It's all in the sequencing" K. Mattingly.  STS-Keeping most of the stakeholders happy most of the time.
So you're going to Mars to seek a better life. What does that mean to you? Always spot a fanbois by how they react to their idols failures.

Offline Dao Angkan

• Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #779 on: 03/31/2017 12:55 AM »
In the press conference Musk said they'll try to land it on a "bouncy castle" (inflatable).

Tags: