Author Topic: Fairing reuse  (Read 524830 times)

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4465
  • Likes Given: 870
Re: Fairing reuse
« Reply #1120 on: 12/24/2017 03:34 PM »
Also how they stayed put till daytime before getting under way.

We'll find out soon enough.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online chawleysnow

• California, USA
  • Liked: 100
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #1121 on: 12/24/2017 04:01 PM »
Took a quick drive around the harbor this morning. Long story short, nothing interesting enough to try and get pictures on a crappy iPhone camera. Mr Steven is back, all four arms appear to be attached and unchanged from previous photos. No evidence of any nets, bouncy castles, or fairing halves visible from public roads.

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 2603
  • Likes Given: 3339
« Reply #1122 on: 12/24/2017 04:16 PM »
Took a quick drive around the harbor this morning. Long story short, nothing interesting enough to try and get pictures on a crappy iPhone camera. Mr Steven is back, all four arms appear to be attached and unchanged from previous photos. No evidence of any nets, bouncy castles, or fairing halves visible from public roads.

Maybe this was a dry-run to test everything without actually committing to a capture?
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline sevenperforce

• Liked: 250
  • Likes Given: 267
« Reply #1123 on: 12/24/2017 04:20 PM »

Maybe this was a dry-run to test everything without actually committing to a capture?
Or could just be a miss. A tangled line on the chute spiraling the fairing half into the drink.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #1124 on: 12/24/2017 04:23 PM »

Or could just be a miss. A tangled line on the chute spiraling the fairing half into the drink.
Typical...

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2016
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #1125 on: 12/24/2017 04:34 PM »
Or the doc ock isn't complete in time (ie, no nets or bouncy castles) so this was a dry run.  Just like it's looking like JRtI was down for repairs, causing the "dry run" ASDS landing.

Or else my theory of a week ago was correct, ad this did have a bunch of fancy mass-y new recovery gear... but it didn't work right.

Maybe we'll get some word from SpaceX, maybe we'll never know.

Offline Rangertech1

« Reply #1126 on: 12/24/2017 09:48 PM »
Or the doc ock isn't complete in time (ie, no nets or bouncy castles) so this was a dry run.  Just like it's looking like JRtI was down for repairs, causing the "dry run" ASDS landing.

Or else my theory of a week ago was correct, ad this did have a bunch of fancy mass-y new recovery gear... but it didn't work right.

If you follow the crew of Mr Steven and they head straight for a bar, that might be a useful piece of evidence of how things went.
Solid Rocket boosters get a bum rap. " Fireworks," I beg your pardon Sir! Cheap thrust is still thrust.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6953
  • Likes Given: 4743
« Reply #1127 on: 12/24/2017 11:10 PM »
That's kind of stalky and no one is advocating that anyone actually do that. :)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline garcianc

• washington, dc
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1128 on: 12/25/2017 01:31 AM »
If you follow the crew of Mr Steven and they head straight for a bar, that might be a useful piece of evidence of how things went.
Evidence that they are Sailors  ;)

Online AncientU

• Liked: 3966
  • Likes Given: 5459
« Reply #1129 on: 12/25/2017 11:52 AM »
That's kind of stalky and no one is advocating that anyone actually do that. :)

Without buying them a beer, of course.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline octavo

• Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #1130 on: 12/26/2017 04:34 AM »
I haven't seen this posted here yet: on the SpaceX FB group Pauline Acalin posted a pic of Mr. Steven in Port with rigging across those 4 arms. What can the detectives here sleuth from this?

Link to FB thread where image appears:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/2387776317?view=permalink&id=10156138270661318

ETA: Attached here directly, with permission from Pauline.
« Last Edit: 12/26/2017 04:40 AM by octavo »

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #1131 on: 12/26/2017 04:53 AM »

That's my guess too, doing everything except catching the fairing.

Offline octavo

« Reply #1132 on: 12/26/2017 05:03 AM »
I haven't seen this posted here yet: on the SpaceX FB group Pauline Acalin posted a pic of Mr. Steven in Port with rigging across those 4 arms. What can the detectives here sleuth from this?

Link to FB thread where image appears:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/2387776317?view=permalink&id=10156138270661318

ETA: Attached here directly, with permission from Pauline.
There is a set of lines that run from arm to arm, forming a square at the start of the top, straight section of the arms. There appear to be two guylines running from the two aft arms down to the deck. I don't see the same lines on the fore arms.

The central platform the 4 arms connect to looks big enough for a fairing.
« Last Edit: 12/26/2017 05:03 AM by octavo »

Offline BeamRider

• Seattle
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #1133 on: 12/26/2017 05:23 AM »
What could work would a vertically-oriented bouncy castle (VBC) “wall” amidships, plus a horizontally-oriented BC (HBC) on each outrigger. Outriggers lay out nearly flat on water surface for capture. After a fairing is dropped on an HBC by a steerable parachute, outrigger is lifted and fairing slides or rolls against VBC. Outrigger goes nearly vertical to grip fairing in place between VBC and HBC. Rinse, repeat.

Online john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 1085
  • Likes Given: 7319
« Reply #1134 on: 12/26/2017 06:21 AM »
What could work would a vertically-oriented bouncy castle (VBC) “wall” amidships, plus a horizontally-oriented BC (HBC) on each outrigger. Outriggers lay out nearly flat on water surface for capture. After a fairing is dropped on an HBC by a steerable parachute, outrigger is lifted and fairing slides or rolls against VBC. Outrigger goes nearly vertical to grip fairing in place between VBC and HBC. Rinse, repeat.
So you're thinking these are the support arms for a set of "bouncy castle walls" that funnel the faring(s) into the centre?
BFS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of flying in Earth and Mars atmospheres. BFR. The worlds biggest Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured booster for BFS. First flight to Mars by end of 2022. Forward looking statements. T&C apply. Believe no one. Run your own numbers. So, you are going to Mars to start a better life? Picture it in your mind. Now say what it is out loud.

Offline octavo

« Reply #1135 on: 12/26/2017 08:10 AM »
Line the walls and floor with bouncy castle walls. Parafoil releases the fairing right over the  funnel, allowing it to fall onto the bouncy floor.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 5658
  • Likes Given: 1621
« Reply #1136 on: 12/26/2017 08:55 AM »
To me inflatable structures seem quite a bit more hassle to operate and maintain than appropriately tensioned nets. It’s not clear to me how significant the benefit(s) of using inflatables?

Offline Cheapchips

• Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 162
« Reply #1137 on: 12/26/2017 09:00 AM »

As well as a castle, bouncy castles are a bit prone to winds. 

Nets are also common nautical fair!

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #1138 on: 12/26/2017 10:20 AM »
To me inflatable structures seem quite a bit more hassle to operate and maintain than appropriately tensioned nets. It’s not clear to me how significant the benefit(s) of using inflatables?
Agreed.  The four arm structure, to me, says "non elastic web".

If there's controlled give to it, it's created by controlling the tension in four cables coming down from pulleys at the apexes using brake winches.

Online Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 1493
  • Likes Given: 212
« Reply #1139 on: 12/26/2017 10:55 AM »
One interesting point is NEC Quest ahead of her. She has a large A Frame davit on her stern and a fairing sized enclosure on her stern. Is she used for Dragon recovery ops?
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Tags: