Poll

Rate they likelyhood you currently assign to what we are referring to here on NSF as EM-Drive having an eventual application to propelling spacecraft.

<10%
51 (76.1%)
10 - 33%
5 (7.5%)
34 - 66%
7 (10.4%)
67 - 90%
1 (1.5%)
>90%
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Voting closed: 06/10/2015 10:09 PM

Author Topic: Alternate EM drive opinion poll  (Read 8141 times)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1892
  • Likes Given: 183
Alternate EM drive opinion poll
« Reply #20 on: 06/03/2015 06:27 AM »
It's not beyond the realms of possibility for this to work without needing new physics

Actually, it is beyond the realm of possibility for this to work without needing new physics.  Conservation of momentum is guaranteed by currently-accepted physics and currently-accepted physics doesn't not include any sort of mechanism for transferring momentum to the quantum vacuum or distant galaxies or anything of the sort.

This has been repeatedly pointed out in these threads.  I'm not sure why anyone doesn't get this yet.

Even if the EM drive proves to be a failure, we will have learned how NOT to build an EM drive and may gain Information of value for several other potentile applications of EM fields.  As there also seems to be an unaccountable frequency shifting of light in conjunction with this system, we may learn things about optical manipulation of light by EM fields that we never even suspected.

So overall, even if this EM drive proves far more elusive than we thought, we will still learn a lot from the experiments being done, much of which, could be applicible to space science.

I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that.  How microwaves bounce around metal cavities has already been pretty well characterized.

Not every experiment is equally useful.  Some experiments are extremely unlikely to teach us anything we don't already know.  The EM-drive experiments are in that category.

It's just sad because there are lots of physics students and researchers at reputable institutions who need more money to do experiments that actually have a decent chance of teaching us new things.  They don't get all the attention from amateurs that things like EM Drives and Warp Drives get.  Sad.

If people are going to vote in these polls it might perhaps be worth keeping abreast of the relevant information from the sources available in the OP of that thread. Just a suggestion.

It might be that some have already made their minds up what the outcome was going to be before the experimental investigations had run their course, whether that's a defendable position I'm unsure.
« Last Edit: 06/03/2015 06:40 AM by Star One »

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1786
  • Likes Given: 3387
Re: Alternate EM drive opinion poll
« Reply #21 on: 06/03/2015 06:41 PM »
If people are going to vote in these polls it might perhaps be worth keeping abreast of the relevant information from the sources available in the OP of that thread. Just a suggestion.

It might be that some have already made their minds up what the outcome was going to be before the experimental investigations had run their course, whether that's a defendable position I'm unsure.

Agreed.  I find it almost hilarious that anyone could believe a popularity poll, taken among people who by and large aren't competent to run the experiments or judge the results, could influence the validity of either the experiments or their results.

I know of polling populations in which you could get an overwhelming majority of people to pledge that they believe in the actual existence of the Easter Bunny.  That doesn't make the Easter Bunny any more real.  Nor does a poll stating a popular belief amongst those polled that Apollo never landed on the Moon undo the fact that it actually did.

Polls on a site like NSF can be fun.  But don't anyone kid yourselves that they indicate anything about the validity of theories or test results.  Unless the poll is taken only within a population of people who are actually involved in creating those theories, running those tests and/or analyzing the results, all the polls indicate are the personal opinions of, by and large, unqualified observers.

In other words, don't take anything away from a poll like this other than its entertainment value, eh?
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline ClaytonBirchenough

• ~ 1 AU
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 348
Re: Alternate EM drive opinion poll
« Reply #22 on: 06/03/2015 10:21 PM »
Ok, 14 day time limit on this. I believe the majority of respondent's answers will change with time.

I am not asking about your opinion as to why it will or will not have an application to spacecraft propulsion just whether not you believe it will.

If the claims/facts about the EM drive are true, yes it will eventually have an application in spacecraft propulsion. Probably not for many years...

If the claims/facts about this EM drive aren't true, that's a problem in itself. If they're true, well it will probably be used for propulsion at some point in time.

0% chance for the next 100 years lol.
Clayton Birchenough
Astro. Engineer and Computational Mathematics @ ERAU

Tags: