Author Topic: Roskomos Corruption Scandal  (Read 9522 times)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 363
  • Likes Given: 464
Roskomos Corruption Scandal
« on: 05/25/2015 03:47 PM »
First suspect under house arrest over embezzlement in Russia’s space sector

http://tass.ru/en/russia/796505

MOSCOW, May 25. /TASS/. Moscow’s Basmanny court ruled on Monday to place under house arrest a director general of a firm that was involved in embezzlement schemes of the Khrunichev Space Research & Production Center, a core company of Russia’s space industry.

"The court satisfied a motion of the investigator on placing Dmitry Dyakonov under house arrest until June 25," the court’s spokesperson, Anna Fadeyeva, told TASS.

Dyakonov, the head of Ecopravo firm that worked under a contract with the Khrunichev company, has been charged with embezzlement or misappropriation of funds carried out either by an organized group or in a large-scale amount.

According to media reports, Dyakonov signed a contract with Alexander Ostroverkh, a deputy of the then-head of the Khrunichev company, on providing auditing and legal services to it and received 22,000 euros per month plus 5% from the sums.

Between 2007 and 2014, Dyakonov provided Ostroverkh with service acceptance certificates that contained fraudulent information. These documents included reports on audits of the company between 2007 and 2011
« Last Edit: 05/25/2015 03:48 PM by Danderman »

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 701
  • Likes Given: 728
Re: Roskomos Corruption Scandal
« Reply #1 on: 05/25/2015 09:41 PM »
Same basic story just hit other sources.

$1.8 billion disappears in Russian space program    http://tinyurl.com/m5qnulf

"Billions of rubles have been lost in shady transactions. Construction projects are languishing. And important launches are failing."

How does one loose almost 2 Billon US  "92 billion rubles ($1.8 billion)"  and one noticed when it was happening?

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 662
  • Likes Given: 771
« Reply #2 on: 05/26/2015 08:23 AM »
How does one loose almost 2 Billon US  "92 billion rubles ($1.8 billion)"  and one noticed when it was happening?

I'm sure that everyone noticed; it's just that it was assumed that it was the usual 'overhead' - the price of doing business in Russia. It's just that there is a very real possibility that this is actually impacting on the quality of the output of an important state industry.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Rebel44

• Liked: 180
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #3 on: 05/26/2015 01:32 PM »

"Billions of rubles have been lost in shady transactions. Construction projects are languishing. And important launches are failing."

I am sure, that everybody knew (and got their cut of stolen money) - it only became a problem, because of recent rocket failures, which are bad for business and really bad for PR.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4057
  • Likes Given: 5570
« Reply #4 on: 05/26/2015 01:39 PM »
Russian space industry 'collapsing' following $1.8bn corruption scandal
"We have uncovered acts of fraud, abuse of authority (and) document forgery. With such a level of moral decay, one should not be surprised at the high accident rate."

<snip>

The decline of Russia's space industry was summed up by analyst Pavel Luzin, who said: "You can compare it to the fall of the Roman Empire. The Russian space industry is collapsing."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/russian-space-industry-collapsing-following-1-8bn-corruption-scandal-1502938

Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin has said that the Roscosmos agency will be abolished
« Last Edit: 05/26/2015 01:48 PM by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 701
  • Likes Given: 728
« Reply #5 on: 05/26/2015 01:47 PM »

I am sure, that everybody knew (and got their cut of stolen money) - it only became a problem, because of recent rocket failures, which are bad for business and really bad for PR.

Mr. Trampoline man was running the show at that time period.  Begs a lot of questions.  Wonder what his future is like now?

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline AncientU

« Reply #6 on: 05/26/2015 01:51 PM »

This is how oligarchs become billionaires... or vice-versa(pun intended)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2799
  • Likes Given: 7354
« Reply #7 on: 05/26/2015 02:03 PM »
Shocked..! Shocked I am..! :o
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Online RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 1288
  • Likes Given: 995
« Reply #8 on: 05/26/2015 02:08 PM »

The 2014 Russian Federation budget was about $440 billion. With typical government bureaucratic inefficiencies seen worldwide, it wouldn't be hard for large sums to vanish, especially if it occurred over a period of years.

The US spent billions of dollars on construction projects in Afghanistan and Iraq, many of which were never completed. Where did that money go?

The difference is that the Roskomos scandal occurred in country by locals. Russian officials will be able to trace the money.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 662
  • Likes Given: 771
« Reply #9 on: 05/26/2015 02:10 PM »
Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin has said that the Roscosmos agency will be abolished

The end
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Rebel44

« Reply #10 on: 05/26/2015 02:14 PM »

Mr. Trampoline man was running the show at that time period.  Begs a lot of questions.  Wonder what his future is like now?

I am sure, that he wont even be mentioned in criminal investigation.......
« Last Edit: 05/26/2015 02:19 PM by Rebel44 »

Offline Rebel44

« Reply #11 on: 05/26/2015 02:18 PM »

The 2014 Russian Federation budget was about $440 billion. With typical government bureaucratic inefficiencies seen worldwide, it wouldn't be hard for large sums to vanish, especially if it occurred over a period of years.

The US spent billions of dollars on construction projects in Afghanistan and Iraq, many of which were never completed. Where did that money go?

The difference is that the Roskomos scandal occurred in country by locals. Russian officials will be able to trace the money.

Just because tracing the money might be doable, doesnt mean, that someone will even try - it could lead to other powerfull people - russian politicians and oligarchs have huge influence on police, prosecutors and courts.

Online RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 1288
  • Likes Given: 995
« Reply #12 on: 05/26/2015 02:29 PM »

Just because tracing the money might be doable, doesnt mean, that someone will even try - it could lead to other powerfull people - russian politicians and oligarchs have huge influence on police, prosecutors and courts.

The fact that this scandal is being openly discussed indicates to me that people who are out of favor are about to go to prison. I'm sure Putin is unhappy with the Russian space program's various problems.

Offline AncientU

« Reply #13 on: 05/26/2015 02:48 PM »
Heads will roll, no doubt. 
But will they be the right heads?  Probably not.

So, who does NASA deal with for crewed missions, if and when they resume?

Offline Rebel44

« Reply #14 on: 05/26/2015 02:56 PM »

The fact that this scandal is being openly discussed indicates to me that people who are out of favor are about to go to prison. I'm sure Putin is unhappy with the Russian space program's various problems.

I am sure, that some people will be punnished, but based on my knowledge of russian criminal cases, I doubt that this will include big fish (excluding Dmitry Dyakonov , who is not all that important) - others will take the blame, in exchange for money, or smaller sentence.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2799
  • Likes Given: 7354
« Reply #15 on: 05/26/2015 03:40 PM »
Heads will roll, no doubt. 
But will they be the right heads?  Probably not.

So, who does NASA deal with for crewed missions, if and when they resume?
Charlie will give you some 'happy talk" about our Russian friends and how we need Commercial Crew ASAP. If heads do roll, NASA will just deal with the next CiC (Crook in Charge)... 
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline notsorandom

• Ohio
  • Liked: 412
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #16 on: 05/26/2015 06:11 PM »
It is highly doubtful that this means the Russian government is giving up their ambitions in space. Roscosmos may be abolished but it will likely be replaced by something similar but even more centralized. From the outside looking in I would even say that things will look pretty much the same.

Offline Quagga

• Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #17 on: 05/26/2015 10:48 PM »
It is highly doubtful that this means the Russian government is giving up their ambitions in space. Roscosmos may be abolished but it will likely be replaced by something similar but even more centralized. From the outside looking in I would even say that things will look pretty much the same.

That's only half of the quote. The full quote is:

Russia's Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin has said that the Roscosmos agency will be abolished and replaced by a state corporation in the second half of 2015.

Offline hop

• Liked: 464
  • Likes Given: 816
« Reply #18 on: 05/27/2015 01:04 AM »
In fact, this consolidation was already the plan before the most recent scandals and failures:
http://spacenews.com/putin-approves-roscosmos-merger-with-conglomerate/

Offline AncientU

« Reply #19 on: 05/27/2015 12:18 PM »
United Rocket and Space Corp (URSC -- or is there a Russian acronym?) is apparently in control as noted above.  Consolidation of this industry under a former KGB official will potentially secure the change needed internally.  Hope for the best in external relations...

Offline schaban

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #20 on: 05/27/2015 08:59 PM »
United Rocket and Space Corp (URSC -- or is there a Russian acronym?) is apparently in control as noted above.  Consolidation of this industry under a former KGB official will potentially secure the change needed internally.  Hope for the best in external relations...

ОРКК: http://www.rosorkk.ru/

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1200
  • Likes Given: 594
« Reply #21 on: 05/27/2015 09:46 PM »

ОРКК: http://www.rosorkk.ru/
All mergers and consolidation into single entity URSC (ОРКК) is to be"fully" complete by 2016.
« Last Edit: 05/27/2015 09:50 PM by russianhalo117 »

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 733
  • Likes Given: 1201
« Reply #22 on: 05/28/2015 12:09 AM »
Shocked..! Shocked I am..! :o

It's hard to believe there is corruption in the country that brought us a $50 billion dollar Winter Olympics. 😏
« Last Edit: 05/28/2015 12:10 AM by wannamoonbase »
Jonesing for a copy of 'Tales of Suspense #39'

Offline dcfowler1

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #23 on: 05/28/2015 04:27 AM »
First Roskosmos, now FIFA....what of the children, I ask? :)

Offline JH

• Liked: 145
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #24 on: 05/28/2015 06:52 AM »
Hmmm, I had thought that once Roscosmos was merged with URSC the new entity was going to be called Roscosmos State Corporation...

http://www.satellitetoday.com/launch/2015/01/23/russia-merges-united-rocket-and-space-corporation-with-roscosmos/

I can't imagine that the official revealing of corruption in Roscosmos would change these plans. It's not as is everyone didn't already know that there was rampant corruption.

Tags: