Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - SpX-7/CRS-7 DRAGON - Discussion Thread 1  (Read 783443 times)

Offline topsphere

• Liked: 67
  • Likes Given: 159
Not the best birthday present for Elon...

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8489
  • Likes Given: 5536
I want to send the SpaceX team a bouquet of flowers or a fruit basket or something. This is just awful.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Nilof

• Liked: 376
  • Likes Given: 540
Ah well, even the Delta II had its failures, and the only full failure was also after a large number of launches and completely unexpected... preceded by a partial failure earlier.
For a variable Isp spacecraft running at constant power and constant acceleration, the mass ratio is linear in delta-v.   Δv = ve0(MR-1). Or equivalently: Δv = vef PMF. Also, this is energy-optimal for a fixed delta-v and mass ratio.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 1839
  • Likes Given: 1124
It would've been nice if Dragon had abort thrusters.
Yes, and the other changes necessary...however, that doesn't save external payloads such as the one that was lost here.

Offline AJA

• Per Aspera Ad Ares, Per Aspera Ad Astra
  • India
  • Liked: 135
  • Likes Given: 203

That's the FTS at work. It's the events prior to that which are significant, IMO.

Do we have confirmation that they used the FTS?

Also (this really being a question for future launches, rather than this one) - can dragon also listen for an FTS signal, and - if it receives one - go into re-entry mode?

Offline Wonger

• Silicon Valley
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 89
At +1.13, two streaks of light appears up by the second stage, right after the odd noise that comes over the audio at +1.09.  Is this normal?

edit: changed video to audio
« Last Edit: 06/28/2015 02:57 PM by Wonger »

Offline hektor

• Liked: 64
  • Likes Given: 3
So, I suppose it's time for my own obligatory WAG: What if the mounting points on the IDA holding it inside the trunk failed, sending the thing slamming down into the upper stage at something like 4-5g? LOX tank ruptures and bursts from the sudden large hole in it, Dragon tumbles from the top down in a wreck, the rest of the LV fights to maintain stability for several seconds but can't possibly do so until it's put out of its misery by FTS.

Isn't the IDA the largest payload yet carried in Dragon's trunk? More stress than the mounting points have yet been put through?

The beauty of this scenario would be that there would be nothing wrong with F9 or even the Dragon capsule. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: 06/28/2015 02:58 PM by hektor »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2838
  • Likes Given: 7512
Like I tell my students: “the laws of physics are unforgiving”...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 662
  • Likes Given: 771

That's the FTS at work. It's the events prior to that which are significant, IMO.

Do we have confirmation that they used the FTS?

Yes; look up-thread and you'll see that NASA has confirmed the RSO sent the FTS command although no-one was sure if the charges fired before or after the vehicle broke up.

At +1.13, two streaks of light appears up by the second stage, right after the odd noise that comes over the audio at +1.09.  Is this normal?

I'm not putting any significance on the odd noises on the video; that was more than likely a microphone malfunction at the PAO's console as similar noises were heard long before launch.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline t21jj

• Iowa
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 6
So, I suppose it's time for my own obligatory WAG: What if the mounting points on the IDA holding it inside the trunk failed, sending the thing slamming down into the upper stage at something like 4-5g? LOX tank ruptures and bursts from the sudden large hole in it, Dragon tumbles from the top down in a wreck, the rest of the LV fights to maintain stability for several seconds but can't possibly do so until it's put out of its misery by FTS.

Isn't the IDA the largest payload yet carried in Dragon's trunk? More stress than the mounting points have yet been put through?

That's what I was wondering could the ida have come loose.

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4836
  • Likes Given: 893

The beauty of this scenario would be that there would be nothing wrong with F9 or even the Dragon capsule. Time will tell.

It would also disintegrate the trunk early, releasing Dragon.

That would be the better of the possible scenarios.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline gregzsidisin

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
This leaves ISS short of resupply options...
Greg Zsidisin

"Space pioneers have long studied the laws of the Universe. Now they must learn the ways of the World." -GZ, 1996

"In essence, rocket science is about blowing a lot of hot gas out an orifice. There are more experts in this field than you might realize." -GZ, 2011

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1435
  • Likes Given: 1301

Well, it would be a problem with Dragon in such a case, the bolts picked to secure IDA inside would've been too weak. Unless the actual mounting brackets on the IDA were bad. But we shouldn't lay blame around for such a spur-of-the-moment idea, we'll have to see what the investigation brings.

The only thing I really have to base the idea on though is, 1. the failure looks like it came from the second stage LOX tank and 2. the IDA is (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) the heaviest piece of trunk-carried cargo so far.
« Last Edit: 06/28/2015 03:01 PM by NovaSilisko »

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 480
  • Likes Given: 20

The microphones are at the pad, ground level so no association to the sounds. Also the Falcon was some 44 km in altitude where's there's not much air to transport the sound waves.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline craigcocca

• Launches: STS-129, 131; Landings: STS-125, 128
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 4
Looks as if they had data well into the breakup. You can see acceleration drop off from T+2:20 to T+2:23 in the livestream.

Frame by frame, the anomaly definitely looks like it started at the second stage.
-- Craig

"Why don't you fix your little problem and light this candle..."

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 662
  • Likes Given: 771
This leaves ISS short of resupply options...

Which is one of the reasons I'm getting sweaty palms over this.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1185
  • Likes Given: 2295
At one point when the major R.U.D. was happening, I thought with a flash 'Is that the Dragon aborting away from the launcher?!"

So, definitely no on that scenario?
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Aussie_Space_Nut

• South Australia
  • Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 227
Lets not be too down hearted. We know that SpaceX are improving all the time and I'm sure they will continue to do so. The nay sayers will come out loud and strong but that is always the case. SpaceX, given the now much needed supplies to the station, may, I hope, pull off a quick turnaround and get another dragon up in record time. That would be the best way to silence (or at least quieten) the critics. SpaceX are in this for the long haul and a shock like this can be just the thing to help the team focus that much harder on their work. I was only reading the other day that SpaceX play the videos of their earlier Falcon 1 failures to new employees to help them to understand that the stakes are high. Familiarity breeds contempt they say well hopefully this will help them to improve. Cant wait for the next attempt, Go SpaceX!

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
  • Liked: 645
  • Likes Given: 1142

If that scenario plays out, telemetry will show a quick drop of LOX pressure in the second stage. A very reasonable hypothesis. This also explains why the Falcon would dip in trajectory and for Dragon to pop.

It could also be a structural failure. There were issues with mating the Dragon to the second stage. It's possible that the Dragon itself popped, vented the 2nd stage and aerodynamic shear did the rest.
"Why is the logo on the side of a rocket so important?"
"So you can find the pieces." -Jim, the Steely Eyed

Offline Norm Hartnett

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 2
Is this the Dragon?

“You can’t take a traditional approach and expect anything but the traditional results, which has been broken budgets and not fielding any flight hardware.” Mike Gold - Apollo, STS, CxP; those that don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it: SLS.

Tags: