Author Topic: GAO Annual Assesment on NASA large scale programs.  (Read 3389 times)

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 455
  • Likes Given: 208
The GAO's report on NASA's major projects was recently released. It covers projects exceeding 250 million dollars in life cycle costs which is currently 12 existing projects and four in formulation. The only one missing is Commercial Crew which was left out of the report since it was written while the award challenge was going on.
The entire report can be seen on http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-15-320SP

edit/gongora: Attaching/linking other report years
2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017
« Last Edit: 08/02/2017 04:55 AM by gongora »

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2567
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: GAO Annual Assesment on NASA large scale programs.
« Reply #1 on: 03/28/2015 01:34 AM »
The projects assessed are:

Project Assessments
Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment Follow-On
Ice, Cloud, and Land Elevation Satellite-2
Interior Exploration using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy, and Heat Transport (InSight)
James Webb Space Telescope   
Magnetospheric Multiscale   
Mars 2020   
NASA ISRO - Synthetic Aperture Radar   
Orbiting Carbon Observatory 2   
Origins-Spectral Interpretation-Resource Identification-Security-Regolith Explorer (OSIRIS-REx)
Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle   
Soil Moisture Active and Passive   
Solar Probe Plus   
Space Launch System   
Space Network Ground Segment Sustainment   
Surface Water and Ocean Topography   
Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite

Online AncientU

• Liked: 3642
  • Likes Given: 5060
« Reply #2 on: 03/29/2015 12:41 PM »
Digging through the report, I cannot find the explanation that SLS is a $7.02B project.  That is at least sunk cost to date, but if so, adding in Orion and JWST would break the graph.  How are the bottom-line figures to be interpreted?
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
« Reply #3 on: 03/29/2015 01:59 PM »
Those numbers are the current estimates for the lifetime costs of the program (development cycle costs in this case I think as it doesn't have a defined lifespan like a probe or satellite). The report doesn't get into individual line item costs, as that would make any individual project into a 100 page report. It just highlights major aspects of the projects and potential issues moving forward in schedules and cost.

It does tell us that SLS had 2.674 Billion in formulation costs (early program), estimates of 7.021 Billion in development costs, with the largest contract being Boeing's Cost Plus Awards Contract for the core currently valued at 4.185 Billion out of a possible 4.389 Billion (They also note that this contract was originally awarded under Constellation and was later modified). I believe these are the estimates from beginning of program to EM-1 when it would switch from development to operations.

Online spacetraveler

• Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 126
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #4 on: 03/30/2015 04:58 AM »
JWST total cost still $8.8 billion. Nice to see some stability there finally.

Offline vulture4

• Liked: 307
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #5 on: 04/05/2015 05:56 PM »
I do not understand figure 10.It looks as though Commercial Crew is being eliminated in 2019.

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
« Reply #6 on: 04/05/2015 06:37 PM »
I do not understand figure 10.It looks as though Commercial Crew is being eliminated in 2019.
From 2018-2020 it probably transitions from development to operations which is a different (likely ISS related) budget.

Online Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 2423
  • Likes Given: 3095
« Reply #7 on: 04/06/2015 12:31 AM »
From 2018-2020 it probably transitions from development to operations which is a different (likely ISS related) budget.

Yes, and you can see that in NASA's FY 2016 Budget Request, where Commercial Spaceflight (Commercial Crew) winds down to pretty much nothing in FY2020, and under the ISS budget the "ISS Crew and Cargo Transportation" line item increases starting in 2018.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Tags: