Author Topic: About the name "Kounotori"  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Pipcard

• Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 98
About the name "Kounotori"
« on: 03/27/2015 02:58 AM »
According to JAXA, Kounotori was chosen as a nickname for the HTV because
A white stork carries an image of conveying an important thing (a baby, happiness, and other joyful things); therefore, it precisely expresses the HTV's mission to transport essential materials to the ISS.

But why do multiple sources say that an advertising campaign by Pampers (diapers), which involved storks, failed in Japan because people there weren't familiar with the stork and its association with childbirth in folklore?

Also, I'm wondering about the alternate names that didn't get selected for the HTV. What would be a good one?

edit: I did notice that even though Kounotori got the most applications, it's only about 1.3 percent of the total (217/17,236).
« Last Edit: 03/27/2015 03:03 AM by Pipcard »

Offline kato

• Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 14
Re: About the name "Kounotori"
« Reply #1 on: 03/29/2015 01:08 PM »
The kounotori - childbirth association was introduced to Japan over a century ago. The difference is that in Japan the stork is just one of many, many "bringing children" folklore stories - it's just not (like in the West) pervasively introduced to the population by advertising campaigns.

The name presumably got chosen by JAXA partially because its folklore context is pretty global. It doesn't say that it got the most applications in the competition btw. They simply chose it from the proposals.

Offline Pipcard

• Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 98
Re: About the name "Kounotori"
« Reply #2 on: 03/29/2015 03:22 PM »
A lot of the links for that "marketing fail" (which mostly say the same exact thing) claim that Japanese folklore about where babies come from is more about babies being delivered in giant floating peaches like in the story of Momotarou.

But this person is saying that the whole "peach" element, or "bamboo stalk" in the case of Kaguya-hime, only applies to "otherworldly" children.

I think Kounotori is a good name, but I can't help but wonder, what would have been a good alternate name for the HTV?
« Last Edit: 03/29/2015 03:49 PM by Pipcard »

Tags: