Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - SpX-6/CRS-6 DRAGON - Discussion Thread  (Read 422799 times)

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1842
Still no official word (remember, it's a NASA mission - they need to announce it), but it seems obvious this is going to be the plan.
Does this mean we'll see a core swap, with the TurkmenistanSat core now being slotted in under Dragon? Will this affect core recovery attempts at all if so (i.e. does the core have leg mount points, will they be installed now, etc.)?

If the problem is in the factory, we may assume that all cores are affected.

Yes, but if they swap payload they either have to take the Turkmensat core out of the HIF and the CRS-6 core in or they have to swap no matter how they resolve the tank issue. Swapping cores means they lose a chance for landing again.

Going early april with whatever payload indicates that the issue is not that serious and they don't assume fixing it will take a month or longer as it looked for a short while.

Online abaddon

• Liked: 1204
  • Likes Given: 1046
I think what it means is that by the time SpaceX can feel confident that the anomaly is understood and they are safe to launch, the Turkmensat launch would interfere with CRS-6.  So they will go ahead and launch the CRS-6 rocket first, followed by Turkmensat.  I am sure Turkmensat owners are not thrilled by that, but it is not that huge a slip either.  It also means that SpaceX will have another launch under their belt after discovering this anomaly, so maybe they consider it to be safer in trade.

Online abaddon

• Liked: 1204
  • Likes Given: 1046
Yes, but if they swap payload they either have to take the Turkmensat core out of the HIF and the CRS-6 core in or they have to swap no matter how they resolve the tank issue. Swapping cores means they lose a chance for landing again.

Regarding the bolded: do we have any reason to think that's a big deal?  We know they have the ability to store at least two cores on-site.  I don't see why that would matter.

Gwynn was quoted as saying SpaceX will attempt a landing on CRS-6, and that was around the same time this news came out.  So it seems very likely that they are going to do just that.

« Last Edit: 03/19/2015 01:29 PM by abaddon »

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1842

Regarding the bolded: do we have any reason to think that's a big deal?  We know they have the ability to store at least two cores on-site.  I don't see why that would matter.

Gwynn was quoted as saying SpaceX will attempt a landing on CRS-6, and that was around the same time this news came out.  So it seems very likely that they are going to do just that.

I have no idea wether or not this is a big deal. I just noted the fact. My main point was, if they swap the cores they lose the chance for landing CRS-6. Probably I made that not very clear.

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1332
  • Likes Given: 1569
I know the previous core swap made it impossible to put legs on the swapped core, but doesn't it depend on timing?  I was under the impression the basic fittings are all in place either way.  If there's enough advance notice, I thought that they would be able to put the legs on the swapped core.
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1317
  • Likes Given: 580
I know the previous core swap made it impossible to put legs on the swapped core, but doesn't it depend on timing?  I was under the impression the basic fittings are all in place either way.  If there's enough advance notice, I thought that they would be able to put the legs on the swapped core.
The hardware may not be the issue with this but the software? I would think each avionics package is tailored to a particular return profile. I don't really know the process enough to understand if this would also add to the complexities and timing of a swap, so to speak?
« Last Edit: 03/19/2015 04:26 PM by rcoppola »
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Has not been confirmed here, so I won't believe it til I see it, however...

AmericaSpace ‏@AmericaSpace  28m28 minutes ago
The Eastern Range has APPROVED Friday April 10 as the launch date for #SpaceX CRS-6. Window opens at 5:42 pm EDT🚀 http://www.americaspace.com/?page_id=56094

Offline rpapo

• Cybernetic Mole
  • Michigan, USA
  • Liked: 634
  • Likes Given: 486
Has not been confirmed here, so I won't believe it til I see it, however...

AmericaSpace ‏@AmericaSpace  28m28 minutes ago
The Eastern Range has APPROVED Friday April 10 as the launch date for #SpaceX CRS-6. Window opens at 5:42 pm EDT🚀 http://www.americaspace.com/?page_id=56094
The first landing attempt in daylight since ORBCOMM.
An Apollo fanboy . . . fifty years ago.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1898
  • Likes Given: 4456
Still no official word (remember, it's a NASA mission - they need to announce it), but it seems obvious this is going to be the plan.
Does this mean we'll see a core swap, with the TurkmenistanSat core now being slotted in under Dragon? Will this affect core recovery attempts at all if so (i.e. does the core have leg mount points, will they be installed now, etc.)?

If the problem is in the factory, we may assume that all cores are affected.

One could, but that wouldn't yet be supported by the available information.  One could just as easily assume that the problem was detected in only a certain batch and CRS-6's parts may not be from the same run. etc.  At this point, we don't have enough public information to reliably guess exactly what the issue was and how widespread its effects are.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Baranquilla

• Belgium
  • Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 66

One could, but that wouldn't yet be supported by the available information.  One could just as easily assume that the problem was detected in only a certain batch and CRS-6's parts may not be from the same run. etc.  At this point, we don't have enough public information to reliably guess exactly what the issue was and how widespread its effects are.

Your logic is more sound than mine.
Because it's there - George Mallory

NASA Social has been announced for April 9-10, concurrent with CRS-6 launch (this is explicit in announcement). So that date would seem to be solid. http://www.nasa.gov/spacex6-social/#.VQyw4Y7F-Ag

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2563
  • Likes Given: 531
NASA Social has been announced for April 9-10, concurrent with CRS-6 launch (this is explicit in announcement). So that date would seem to be solid. http://www.nasa.gov/spacex6-social/#.VQyw4Y7F-Ag

Joseph, thanks for your good work reporting on SpaceX activities at McGregor, TX for the WacoTrib. Now that you're a member here, maybe you could keep us posted with regular updates.  ;)

We have a dedicated McGregor thread here:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=35426.180
« Last Edit: 03/21/2015 02:15 AM by Kabloona »

Offline averagespacejoe

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 0
Here is a patch picture thanks reddit!

Offline averagespacejoe

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 0
6 stars easy enough for the CRS missions so far and even some acknowledgement of the ASDS off the coast of Florida!

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2563
  • Likes Given: 531
6 stars easy enough for the CRS missions so far and even some acknowledgement of the ASDS off the coast of Florida!

Barge on the patch means this time's the charm!

Offline Zardar

• Limerick, Ireland
  • Liked: 67
  • Likes Given: 222
Here is a patch picture thanks reddit!

Hm, which ATV is that supposed to be docked to the ISS?

Offline S.Paulissen

• Boston
  • Liked: 297
  • Likes Given: 452
« Last Edit: 03/22/2015 01:22 AM by Exclavion »
"An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very narrow field." -Niels Bohr
Poster previously known as Exclavion going by his real name now.

Offline Baranquilla

• Belgium
  • Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 66
Maybe they designed the patch first, way back when CRS-6 was supposed to be in 2014. This does not explain the Asds pin though.. Unless they thought a year ago they'd be ready for a good landing right about CRS-6
Because it's there - George Mallory

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 524
  • Likes Given: 1346
I don't think that's a ATV.  I think it's the older arrays on the Russian segment that give that appearance.

Online ZachS09

It's definitely an ATV; the solar arrays are arranged in a cross/X pattern.
Because the Falcon Heavy Test Flight was successful, it has inspired thousands of people to consider changing the future of space travel.

Tags: CRS-6