Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - SpX-6/CRS-6 DRAGON - Discussion Thread  (Read 424079 times)

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 4415
  • Likes Given: 2681
Was it this flight meant to carry BEAM or the NDS adapter in the trunk?

No.
 - CRS-7: NDS 1
 - CRS-8: BEAM
 - CRS-9: NDS 2

Online Comga

• Liked: 1746
  • Likes Given: 1446
Was it this flight meant to carry BEAM or the NDS adapter in the trunk?

A (nearly) full history of the external payload maifest is available in L2.

Several external payloads have been scheduled for SpX-6.  IDA #1 was a possibility for a while.  BEAM was never listed on SpX-6. 
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

FYI CRS-6's liftoff is listed at http://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/ as April 10 at 5:42 pm Eastern (21:42 UTC). Daytime launch and fly-to-barge FTW!  8)
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 728
FYI CRS-6's liftoff is listed at http://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/ as April 10 at 5:42 pm Eastern (21:42 UTC). Daytime launch and fly-to-barge FTW!  8)

maybe Chris can get more info; if true something in the schedule must give, my guess is the launch abort
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline SpacemanInSPACE

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 72
From Reddit, pics of crs-6 on test stand at mcgregor. Good for them but still behind L2  :P

http://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/2ydol6/did_a_driveby_yesterday/
Space is worth it God Damnit!

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2059
  • Likes Given: 664
From Reddit, pics of crs-6 on test stand at mcgregor. Good for them but still behind L2  :P

http://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/2ydol6/did_a_driveby_yesterday/

Some interesting tank plumbing visible in the last of those pictures, plus apparent new construction on a stand?  Is that the Falcon Heavy test stand, and is there chilling/densification equipment among the tanks?

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 162
The top of the stage on the stand looks... odd. Any idea what's up with that?

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 663
  • Likes Given: 777

I thought it was the upper securing rig, holding the top of the stage in place.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 1885
  • Likes Given: 424

You expected the top of the stage - containing at least some avionics boxes among other things - to be left open and exposed to the elements for days, without any temperature/humidity control?

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 4415
  • Likes Given: 2681

I thought it was the upper securing rig, holding the top of the stage in place.

Yes, that appears to be exactly what it is.

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 162

You expected the top of the stage - containing at least some avionics boxes among other things - to be left open and exposed to the elements for days, without any temperature/humidity control?

No, but the picture (even the large one) was bit too unclear to really make out what it was, so I thought I'd ask :)

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 618
  • Likes Given: 311
Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust 2 hours ago

SpaceX's Gwynne Shotwell confirms that SpaceX will attempt landing first stage on drone ship on next two NASA CRS launches.

Offline saliva_sweet

• Liked: 447
  • Likes Given: 1445
Now that Turkmensat is in late April I wonder if they could still fly CRS-6 on April 10th as planned.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 5888
  • Likes Given: 1990
Now that Turkmensat is in late April I wonder if they could still fly CRS-6 on April 10th as planned.
Not. CRS-6 date is on the move according to one of my sources. There may be commonality of the Turkmenistan helium bottle problem with the ones on the CRS-6 launch vehicle.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2628
  • Likes Given: 1
@jeff_foust 23 minutes ago
Matsumori: still working with the customer on the extent of the delay, so declining to give a timetable for the launch. #satshow,

@jeff_foust 23 minutes ago
Matsumori: didn’t find problem with F9 that was to launch Sat, but instead an “anomaly” in factory; decided to be “careful” #satshow
DM

I saw this today, to take it for what it's worth....
AmericaSpace ‏@AmericaSpace  6h6 hours ago
#SpaceX will hold off launching #Thales until after CRS-6. Next #Falcon9 launch still set for 4/10 at 5:42 pm EDT with a back up of 4/11.

Online Chris Bergin

Not decided yet.

Online Chris Bergin

Still no official word (remember, it's a NASA mission - they need to announce it), but it seems obvious this is going to be the plan.

Will set up the relevant threads (in addition to this discussion thread) later today.

And yeah, due to public demand, a party thread ;D PM me your suggestions and I'll pick one.

Offline e of pi

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Liked: 263
  • Likes Given: 353
Still no official word (remember, it's a NASA mission - they need to announce it), but it seems obvious this is going to be the plan.
Does this mean we'll see a core swap, with the TurkmenistanSat core now being slotted in under Dragon? Will this affect core recovery attempts at all if so (i.e. does the core have leg mount points, will they be installed now, etc.)?

Offline Baranquilla

• Belgium
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 68
Does this mean we'll see a core swap, with the TurkmenistanSat core now being slotted in under Dragon? Will this affect core recovery attempts at all if so (i.e. does the core have leg mount points, will they be installed now, etc.)?

If the problem is in the factory, we may assume that all cores are affected.
Because it's there - George Mallory

Tags: CRS-6