Author Topic: CNES youtube video on SpaceX's reusability effort  (Read 16162 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: CNES youtube video on SpaceX's reusability effort
« Reply #20 on: 02/11/2015 04:25 PM »
Many thanks SwissCheese! :)

Online S.Paulissen

• Boston
  • Liked: 289
  • Likes Given: 446
« Reply #21 on: 02/11/2015 05:09 PM »
I guess when they say geostationary orbit, they mean GSO, not GTO, or otherwise, their numbers are way below what SpaceX provides on their website (4,850kg, which already includes first stage reuse).

There was a version of the website that explicitly said the 4.850kg was to a GTO -1800m/s orbit.  I also recall an interview where Shotwell Elon said that F9 payload to -1500m/s SSO is used in order to compete on level footing with competitors such as Arianespace and that payload to this orbit was only about 3,500kg. 

HAH!  My addled-brain served me well.  Source:
http://aviationweek.com/blog/falcon-9-performance-mid-size-geo

EDIT: Someone else quoting the old website version I mentioned, source:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=35533.65;wap2
« Last Edit: 02/11/2015 05:12 PM by Exclavion »
"An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very narrow field." -Niels Bohr
Poster previously known as Exclavion going by his real name now.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 1445
  • Likes Given: 4499
« Reply #22 on: 02/12/2015 04:20 PM »
Ok, this is the first subtitle that I actually do, and rather than knowing French I rather had to follow it phonetically. But here it is the French SRT subtitle. I did the English one, from the French base. I did downloaded the video file, but I'm not sure I can upload it. Besides the fact that it is 100MB, I'm not sure about the copyright situation. But if you are in a country where you can download it, any reasonable player should be able to play the subtitles.
« Last Edit: 02/12/2015 04:52 PM by baldusi »

Offline cheesybagel

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: 03/03/2015 09:46 PM »
Nice video. Thanks for the link. It is good to see that CNES is not dismissive about this effort. But I think they are still underestimating SpaceX a lot.

Offline fatjohn1408

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #24 on: 03/03/2015 11:40 PM »
I guess when they say geostationary orbit, they mean GSO, not GTO, or otherwise, their numbers are way below what SpaceX provides on their website (4,850kg, which already includes first stage reuse).
Could it be a 0 inclination standard delta-v deficit (1500m/s?) GTO?
This. 4.85 tonnes don't include first stage reuse. Why? Because the engines do not run on fairy dust.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 3564
  • Likes Given: 2197
« Reply #25 on: 03/03/2015 11:53 PM »
Could it be a 0 inclination standard delta-v deficit (1500m/s?) GTO?
This. 4.85 tonnes don't include first stage reuse. Why? Because the engines do not run on fairy dust.

Does the upcoming 15% thrust upgrade, propellant densification, and upper stage stretch fall under the "fairy dust" category? :)

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1331
  • Likes Given: 1561
« Reply #26 on: 03/04/2015 03:06 AM »
If so, I'd hate to have some of that fairy dust falling on MY head!
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2535
  • Likes Given: 525
« Reply #27 on: 03/04/2015 08:09 PM »
There was a version of the website that explicitly said the 4.850kg was to a GTO -1800m/s orbit.  I also recall an interview where Shotwell Elon said that F9 payload to -1500m/s SSO is used in order to compete on level footing with competitors such as Arianespace and that payload to this orbit was only about 3,500kg. 

And just for comparison, the most recent ABS/Eutelsat mission was about 4,150 kg to GTO -1600 m/s:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36065.msg1340922#msg1340922
« Last Edit: 03/04/2015 08:11 PM by Kabloona »

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4008
  • Likes Given: 5546
« Reply #28 on: 03/05/2015 12:32 PM »
Nice video. Thanks for the link. It is good to see that CNES is not dismissive about this effort. But I think they are still underestimating SpaceX a lot.

They and many others have been underestimating SpaceX.  The comments about the delicate and complex maneuvers to get stage back to the ASDS do show recognition of the technical difficulty of that achievemen, so attitude might be changing.

CNES has worked the reusability problem for 30 years(!!!) and have zip to show for it.  ULA has 'determined' it isn't economically feasible -- studies that are parroted here frequently. 

Studies show many things are impossible until someone does them.

IMO, we have a case of not invented here... Works fine until the product starts taking market share.
« Last Edit: 03/05/2015 09:43 PM by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline floss

• Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #29 on: 03/07/2015 06:05 PM »

They and many others have been underestimating SpaceX.  The comments about the delicate and complex maneuvers to get stage back to the ASDS do show recognition of the technical difficulty of that achievemen, so attitude might be changing.

CNES has worked the reusability problem for 30 years(!!!) and have zip to show for it.  ULA has 'determined' it isn't economically feasible -- studies that are parroted here frequently. 

IMO, we have a case of not invented here... Works fine until the product starts taking market share.

True but whose market ?

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8235
  • Likes Given: 5444
« Reply #30 on: 03/07/2015 06:20 PM »

True but whose market ?
In the case of a reusable Falcon Heavy cheaper than an expendable Falcon 9, ALL of ArianeSpace's launch market that isn't captive (i.e. govt launches).
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline floss

« Reply #31 on: 03/07/2015 07:34 PM »
Brilliant that increases assurance that a satellite will be launched if one launcher fails .

Online friendly3

• Liege. BELGIUM.
  • Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 2963
« Reply #32 on: 03/07/2015 08:22 PM »
Brilliant that increases assurance that a satellite will be launched if one launcher fails .

Is that a joke?

Offline floss

« Reply #33 on: 03/07/2015 08:39 PM »

Is that a joke?

No after all the failures that have happened in the launcher industry at least two reliable  launchers are needed to avoid costly delays in a satellites lifetime .

Tags: