Author Topic: Falcon Heavy flight and booster recovery Video and Discussion  (Read 91555 times)

Offline moralec

Some Stills....
« Last Edit: 01/27/2015 06:08 pm by moralec »

Offline thebluemarble

• Warsaw, Poland
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 29
Bingo! Exactly as I expected. :) I would be very surprised if the only purpose of building so many of these so-called 'redundancy pads' was to provide additional landing space in case of a major flight path diversion. There simply HAD to be another explanation.
« Last Edit: 01/27/2015 06:11 pm by thebluemarble »

Online abaddon

• Liked: 1298
  • Likes Given: 1241
Wow!  That's spectacular... and considering we might see it this year, pretty amazing to think of.

Presumably this is the FH thing that was mentioned in L2... lots of juicy details in this video to analyze.

[EDIT] Does that mean that is DSP-2 we are seeing released there?
« Last Edit: 01/27/2015 06:15 pm by abaddon »

Online Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 521
  • Likes Given: 944
Neat! LC-39A and the T/E look different than I imagined they would.
Attended space missions: STS-114, STS-124, STS-128, STS-135, Atlas V "Curiosity", Delta IV Heavy NROL-15, Atlas V MUOS-2, Delta IV Heavy NROL-37, Falcon 9 CRS-9, Falcon 9 JCSAT-16, Atlas V GOES-R, Falcon 9 SES-11, Falcon Heavy Demo, Falcon 9 Es'hail-2.

Offline Jamsta

• Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 1180
Five landing pads?

Offline MechanicalMike

• UK
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
A boostback and landing of all three cores on the Demo would be a spectacular sight!  8)

Offline Hauerg

• Berndorf, Austria
  • Liked: 376
  • Likes Given: 1285
Yep. They are actually building those 5, but say that only 1 booster will land there. Backup pads if the stage does not come in perfectly due to wind etc..
Hm...

Online mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 4683
That's awesome! But I wouldn't take it as too literally.  All three boosters RTLS does not seem likely, right?  Is there a payload light enough and lofted high enough that the center stage could RTLS?

I hope so just because it would be such a spectacular sight.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Online abaddon

• Liked: 1298
  • Likes Given: 1241
So, the rods that tie the boosters to the 1st stage look like they fold back into the interstage (at the top) of the core (and maybe retract?) am I seeing that correctly?  Hard to see what happens at the bottom.
« Last Edit: 01/27/2015 06:24 pm by abaddon »

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5645
  • Likes Given: 590
Five pads for the Angara 5 configured Very Heavy. ;)

Offline rocx

• NL
  • Liked: 265
  • Likes Given: 145
Some things that seem new to me:

- Multiple cores landing at the same pad. Did the contract for the pad not specify that SpaceX does not plan to return more than one booster to it?
- Sustainer central core returning to launch site. So far everything I've read pointed to FH sustainer landing on a barge, if at all recovered.
- The grid fins are not folded out until the final approach. In the close-up at 0:51 they are clearly folded in, and only at 1:13 they are visible. I always assumed they were used from the beginning of return flight.
- No signs of any systems for propellant crossfeed. Shouldn't we see some cables disconnecting at side core separation?
- The landing legs are black instead of FR9v1.1's white. Different design for FH?
- Not sure if I've noticed the RCS thrusters before (used to turn the cores around). Are they Dracos or another engine?
- And confirmation that there is no intention of recovering the second stage.

Also does the payload look like anything existing?
« Last Edit: 01/27/2015 06:25 pm by rocx »
Any day with a rocket landing is a fantastic day.

Offline JoostNL

• Amsterdam
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 115
Wow, just wow. The realization I am alive in a time that these things are starting to become possible make me realise I am a very lucky person indeed.

Would love the experts opinion on the retracting booster attachments, don't remember hearing anything about those before.

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1435
  • Likes Given: 1301
Love the folding booster connectors. Surprised they don't fold down instead of up, though. I guess it's out of the atmosphere enough it doesn't matter much.

Online Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 521
  • Likes Given: 944
That's awesome! But I wouldn't take it as too literally.  All three boosters RTLS does not seem likely, right?  Is there a payload light enough and lofted high enough that the center stage could RTLS?

I hope so just because it would be such a spectacular sight.

Noted here on one of Chris B's most recent articles.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/01/dscovr-recover-spacex-chase-cigar-falcon-9-mission/

"Mr. Musk has already noted that he wishes to refly a returned stage in the not too distant future, while use of the ASDS could involve refueling the core on the ship, before it then hops off and flies back to land on its own.

As previously reported, such a technique could also address unconfirmed information surrounding the Falcon Heavy, which suggested SpaceX had been looking at an island downrange of the West Coast launch site for returning the center of the three Falcon Heavy cores, in the event of high payload penalties negating a return to the preferred landing site at SLC-4W.
Utilizing an Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship positioned downrange of Vandenberg, allowing it to refuel and make the “hop” back to the West coast would become a potential solution.

Falcon 9 v1.1 – and Falcon Heavy boosters – are set to eventually return directly to land, once the technology has matured.

The East Coast site for returning stages is understood to be SLC-13 at Cape Canaveral."
Attended space missions: STS-114, STS-124, STS-128, STS-135, Atlas V "Curiosity", Delta IV Heavy NROL-15, Atlas V MUOS-2, Delta IV Heavy NROL-37, Falcon 9 CRS-9, Falcon 9 JCSAT-16, Atlas V GOES-R, Falcon 9 SES-11, Falcon Heavy Demo, Falcon 9 Es'hail-2.

Online Mark McCombs

• SW Washington
  • Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 1580
There's some serious margin in that centre core.   :o  8)
"Are you sure you want to go to Red Alert, Sir? It does mean changing the bulb." - Kryten
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory". LLAP - Leonard Nimoy

Offline rocx

• NL
  • Liked: 265
  • Likes Given: 145
So, the rods that tie the boosters to the 1st stage look like they fold back into the interstage (at the top) of the core (and maybe retract?) am I seeing that correctly?  Hard to see what happens at the bottom.

A shame that we cannot see the bottom connection, because that is where the propellant crossfeed should be happening. Maybe they are not ready to show that part in detail yet?
Any day with a rocket landing is a fantastic day.

Online mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 4683
- The grid fins are not folded out until the final approach. In the close-up at 0:51 they are clearly folded in, and only at 1:13 they are visible. I always assumed they were used from the beginning of return flight.
- No signs of any systems for propellant crossfeed. Shouldn't we see some cables disconnecting at side core separation?
I'd be careful reading too much into the animation.  In the last recovery experiment the grid fins deployed before reentry.  In the animation, they deployed some time after the reentry burn started, but we can't tell when.  They could have deployed right after the cut away in the video.  They will definitely be used in hypersonic "flight."  And the video may not be that accurate.  It's PR showing "the dream", not an engineering spec. :)

Same for the cross-feed.  That would be a lot of detail to render and most people would not even notice it.

Edit: better words.
« Last Edit: 01/27/2015 06:39 pm by mme »
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 617
  • Likes Given: 163
...Or maybe crossfeed is not going to happen that quickly. It is still a mighty fine rocket even without crossfeed and the complications it brings.

What looked bit odd to me was that the 2nd stage looked a bit larger than I expected. Stretched upper stage? Or am I just seeing things?

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 4609
  • Likes Given: 2768

- Multiple cores landing at the same pad. Did the contract for the pad not specify that SpaceX does not plan to return more than one booster to it?
- Sustainer central core returning to launch site. So far everything I've read pointed to FH sustainer landing on a barge, if at all recovered.
- The landing legs are black instead of FR9v1.1's white. Different design for FH?
- Not sure if I've noticed the RCS thrusters before (used to turn the cores around). Are they Dracos or another engine?
- And confirmation that there is no intention of recovering the second stage.

Also does the payload look like anything existing?

I think many of these points are just artistic license... For example, we know the grid fins extend before what the video shows.

It also shows the FH boosters as the same length as the core, which could either be a change from before, or again - artistic license.

Remember the original F9 reusable video - accurate in the large scope, but inaccurate for details. (pre-v1.1) Take this video with a similar grain of salt.

Tags: