Author Topic: SpaceX CRS-6/SpX-6 Landing Bingo  (Read 253794 times)

Offline IanO

• Portland, OR
    • Portland State Aerospace Society
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 191
Re: SpaceX CRS-6/SpX-6 Landing Bingo
« Reply #860 on: 04/24/2015 03:58 PM »
Someone should update http://asds.dansdoorway.com with the two winning squares!  And maybe modify the background to use one of the "after" perspective-corrected images from this thread.

Can't wait for the next bingo!
« Last Edit: 04/24/2015 03:59 PM by IanO »
psas.pdx.edu - to orbit with stone knives and bearskins

Offline AndrewM

• United States
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #861 on: 04/24/2015 04:13 PM »
Congrats to the two winners and this was a bunch of fun. Next time it will be a rush to the center spots since a lot more people are paying attention now.  :P

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 1316
  • Likes Given: 1013
« Reply #862 on: 04/24/2015 04:27 PM »
Congrats to the two winners and this was a bunch of fun. Next time it will be a rush to the center spots since a lot more people are paying attention now.  :P

I don't know about that rush to the center. I picked the day of the launch and only missed by a few squares.

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1332
  • Likes Given: 1567
« Reply #863 on: 04/24/2015 04:29 PM »
Yeah, this was a great idea and yes we'll be doing one for CRS-7.

As per custom, the thread is now open to one congratulatory post by each member  :)

Stop stealing my lines ;D

How about for next time, we draw a dartboard on the deck?  Bingo is so old ladies.  Darts is more appropriate, except for the fact that they are flying backwards.

Kinda of the opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Agreed, I am of course biased toward voting systems that are easy to parse, but that works for more than thread scrapers. People can rally to something that hits the sweet spot in terms of easy to understand, translates to an interesting physical reality, and is just unfair enough to make it interesting. I think Helodriver nailed it the first time.

Nah, considering the desire for Rube Goldberg solutions that seems to permeate these threads, I think we should devise some sort of complex mathematical formula that few but Jim can understand, possibly involving differential equations and a logarithmic distance measurement in the two axes extending from the barge center, so that when the event comes, the winner is just as surprised as the losers, and then we can devote 3 threads to arguing about who the winner should have been.
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline DanielW

• L-22
  • Liked: 342
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #864 on: 04/24/2015 05:41 PM »
Yeah, this was a great idea and yes we'll be doing one for CRS-7.

As per custom, the thread is now open to one congratulatory post by each member  :)

Stop stealing my lines ;D

How about for next time, we draw a dartboard on the deck?  Bingo is so old ladies.  Darts is more appropriate, except for the fact that they are flying backwards.

Agreed, I am of course biased toward voting systems that are easy to parse, but that works for more than thread scrapers. People can rally to something that hits the sweet spot in terms of easy to understand, translates to an interesting physical reality, and is just unfair enough to make it interesting. I think Helodriver nailed it the first time.

Nah, considering the desire for Rube Goldberg solutions that seems to permeate these threads, I think we should devise some sort of complex mathematical formula that few but Jim can understand, possibly involving differential equations and a logarithmic distance measurement in the two axes extending from the barge center, so that when the event comes, the winner is just as surprised as the losers, and then we can devote 3 threads to arguing about who the winner should have been.

No need to get fancy schmancy, just post a simple 4 dimensional transformation matrix describing the orientation, postion, time and rough condition of the stage when it comes to a rest as deviating from a perfect landing and we can simply compute the L2,1Norm of each entry after landing. Smallest result is the winner. Any schmucks with rotations in time will be either automatically disqualified or hailed as orcles should such a chronological distortion actually appear.

Offline tinorex

• Slovakia
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #865 on: 04/24/2015 05:57 PM »
Yes!
What a perfect day ;-).

Thank you.

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 395
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #866 on: 04/24/2015 06:23 PM »
Ok,

Gotta say it...

LET'S DO IT AGAIN!
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 1022
« Reply #867 on: 04/24/2015 07:05 PM »
Yes!
What a perfect day ;-).

Thank you.
Congrats buddy! Welcome to L2.
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Offline Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
  • Liked: 249
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #868 on: 04/24/2015 07:16 PM »
Congratz to the winners :) Loved the bingo game(Maybe I am getting old?)

Yes, definitely congrats to the winners.

Old?  Maybe we could get SpaceX to put a large puck on the deck and then play shuffleboard!  ;D
"I didn't open the can of worms...
        ...I just pointed at it and laughed a little too loudly."

Offline TripD

• Waiting for longer boats
  • Liked: 512
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #869 on: 04/24/2015 08:58 PM »
Congrats to winners! Big thanks to Helodriver and the sponsors! Big 2 thumbs up to SpaceX for turning a barge into the event of the decade!

I think we should devise some sort of complex mathematical formula that few but Jim can understand, possibly involving differential equations and a log.....

And now onto log landings!  ::)
« Last Edit: 04/25/2015 12:56 AM by TripD »

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1856
  • Likes Given: 4125
« Reply #870 on: 04/24/2015 11:47 PM »
We should be wary of involving SpaceX too directly.  Based on the impressive progress demonstrated by their landing team, we're quickly approaching the time that an unscrupulous software engineer could try to game the system by targeting a slightly off center square that they've anonymously chosen here on NSF.  I hope Elon will have QA check the code for easter eggs that change the target point to some random ASDS Bingo square.  :D

Congrats to the winners!  All hail tinorex and meadow.st! 
« Last Edit: 04/24/2015 11:50 PM by deruch »
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #871 on: 04/25/2015 12:45 AM »
Congratulations to winners.... oh so close, but no dice here.

Roll on CRS-7 :)

Offline Ixian77

• US
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #872 on: 04/25/2015 01:11 AM »
Congratulations to the winners.

Why do I have the feeling the start of the next game is going to be something like the Oklahoma land rush of 1889?????

Offline oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 640
  • Likes Given: 1426
« Reply #873 on: 04/25/2015 02:10 AM »
I'm looking forward to Mars landing Bingo!

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7694
  • Likes Given: 5532
« Reply #874 on: 04/25/2015 02:37 AM »

And bingo will work much better when there's an F9 down that Ain't Broke  :D

And "don't fix it" is kind of the idea behind Gas N Go reuse...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline alienmike

• Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #875 on: 04/25/2015 03:23 AM »
I can't believe how close I was L-27! Congratulations to the winners!

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2055
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #876 on: 04/25/2015 12:06 PM »
I think either of the two winning squares would be an excellent place for SpaceX to paint a small green shamrock on the deck.  It has been proven that is all that is required to achieve mission success.

Offline meadows.st

• Vancouver BC, Canada
  • Liked: 88
  • Likes Given: 3833
« Reply #877 on: 04/25/2015 03:29 PM »

Careful photogrammetric analysis of publicly released images, backed up by a knowledgeable SpaceX insider has yielded not one, but TWO winners!

The rules of the game stated that in the event of an unsuccessful landing the winner would be square at the center of the greatest visible damage or with largest piece on debris left on deck. Because of the landing outcome, leaving both a discernible location of touchdown damage and a large piece of debris on deck Chris and I and our SpaceXer have decided to award a first and a second prize. So without further ado..

Second Prize goes to the square closest to the center of mass of the largest piece of debris, the landing leg across the deck, which is determined as L-28 picked by NSF user measdows.st on January 18th at 3:42 PM. Chris has graciously offered a second prize of a 6 month L2 membership, and I will send some SpaceX swag of dubious value ;).

@Helo

Thanks for setting this game up.  What great fun - my only comment is, "sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.".  That being said, I would have been happier to have seen a stuck landing and lost than won a prize (even first) on a crash.  :)

@ChrisB and @Helo
Since I am already an L2 member, I would like to donate my 6 month membership to a new Aerospace student that the two of you deem most worthy to participate in the best space site around.

Congrats to the first place winner!  On the next round, I will be trying to get the centre square.  ;D

Edit: grammar.
« Last Edit: 04/25/2015 03:47 PM by meadows.st »
A little rudder far from the rocks is a lot better than a lot of rudder close to the rocks. L. David Marquet

Offline Mader Levap

• Liked: 430
  • Likes Given: 480
« Reply #878 on: 04/27/2015 10:58 AM »
Congratulations to winners!

Yay! A winner or two! I suppose I shall now have to enable displaying historical games and some way to indicate the winning squares. I will at least save the data files some place safe before pointing the scraper at whatever new thread appears.
Yes, it would be cool to preserve data and enable multiple bingos to browse (one current and other ones historic, where winners would be marked, with date of event and other revelant info).

What about using updated photo in next bingo? Every bingo could have separate background. :D

And I suggest making rule that picked squares should be in curly brackets, for example {L2}. That would make parsing significantly easier, not to mention distinguishing picks from other things, like L2.
Be successful.  Then tell the haters to (BLEEP) off. - deruch
...and if you have failure, tell it anyway.

Offline DanielW

• L-22
  • Liked: 342
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #879 on: 04/27/2015 03:29 PM »
Congratulations to winners!

Yay! A winner or two! I suppose I shall now have to enable displaying historical games and some way to indicate the winning squares. I will at least save the data files some place safe before pointing the scraper at whatever new thread appears.
Yes, it would be cool to preserve data and enable multiple bingos to browse (one current and other ones historic, where winners would be marked, with date of event and other revelant info).

What about using updated photo in next bingo? Every bingo could have separate background. :D

And I suggest making rule that picked squares should be in curly brackets, for example {L2}. That would make parsing significantly easier, not to mention distinguishing picks from other things, like L2.

I'll get around to it eventually. I am 4 weeks into welcoming a second son to the world. Most of the welcoming seems to happen circa 2 AM so top priority for now is not drooling on myself at work.

Edit: curly brackets would make things a tiny bit easier only, but would make actually voting significantly harder for the people who only half pay attention. Right now the scraper works pretty well and I have an admin version of the site that lets me remove non-votes easily. There will always be a need for human correction.

Right now out of over 400 votes I have discarded 22 entries that look like votes. Almost all mentions of L2. If you click on the L2 square you will see those corrections. They still show up in order to keep the record complete. I think there were only 2 instances were someone did something silly like say "I am hereby NOT voting for A1."
« Last Edit: 04/27/2015 03:43 PM by DanielW »

Tags: