Author Topic: Apollo 8  (Read 42402 times)

Offline catdlr

• Viewed launches since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 2159
  • Likes Given: 1508
Re: Apollo 8
« Reply #20 on: 04/04/2015 01:41 AM »
Apollo 8 - The Private Medical Tape (Full Mission 08)

Published on Apr 3, 2015
Apollo 8 - Private Medical Tape (Full Mission 08)

This video contains the 26-30 hour period of the Apollo 8 mission. MCC reveals that it has heard through downlinked tapes from the crew that Frank Borman has been unwell. The crew conduct a "private medical conference" - which is later played by the PAO. This tape does not reveal much, but is interesting in that it was broadcast. There then follows the change of shift media briefing which continues the questioning about the crews health. "Live" Air-to-Ground is on the other channel. This video ends just before the scheduled first television transmission.

NOTE: During the Apollo 8 mission audio was recorded in real time on one track and the other (also live) was the PAO. PAO played back "recorded tape" of the air to ground. This audio is muted as the listener will have already heard that audio on the air-to-ground audio. The PAO will make reference to "playing a tape" but the audio that you next hear is NOT the recorded tape. I hope this makes sense!

Part of this videos audio is in stereo, whilst the second part is presented in seperate channels.

The video is presented in 16:9 to allow use of photos and captions on the right of the screen. Captions are used to show PAO events.

NOTE -

Orbiter Space Simulator is used to depict events as they were happening in real time, although I do not claim attitudes/spacecraft orientation are correct.

I sourced the Apollo 8 Flight Journal to assist with photo placement and audio editing. I would recommend the viewer using this as an aid whilst listening as it gives great descriptions of the technical details of the flight as it happened and explains, in laymans terms, what is going on.

All Video, photos and audio is courtesy of NASA.

Tony De La Rosa

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1785
  • Likes Given: 3387
« Reply #21 on: 04/04/2015 02:26 AM »
Excellent work, Tony!  The only comment I have is something you likely don't control, and that's the Orbiter model of the CSM.  The Apollo 8 CSM, spacecraft 103, didn't carry a docking probe.  I'm not positive that it even had the docking ring installed, though if I had to bet, I'd say it likely did, for thermal reasons.

Other than that, I find nothing that's not valid and accurate.  Very good work.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline lem3spider9

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: 04/04/2015 06:08 PM »
Amazing video!  Thank you so much.

I was fortunate enough as a ten year old to be standing on my grandparents front lawn in Indialantic, FL watching the launch.  I'll never forget the sight. 

Offline catdlr

« Reply #23 on: 04/05/2015 01:30 AM »
Excellent work, Tony!  The only comment I have is something you likely don't control, and that's the Orbiter model of the CSM.  The Apollo 8 CSM, spacecraft 103, didn't carry a docking probe.  I'm not positive that it even had the docking ring installed, though if I had to bet, I'd say it likely did, for thermal reasons.

Other than that, I find nothing that's not valid and accurate.  Very good work.

Don't thank me, I'm just posting the video.  The appreciation goes to lunarmodule5.
Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #24 on: 04/05/2015 01:31 AM »
Apollo 8 -Happy Birthday Mother (Full Mission 09)

Published on Apr 4, 2015
Apollo 8 - Happy Bithday Mother (Full Mission 09)

This video covers the 31-33 hour point in the mission. The first TV broadcast is made with interior views. The crew attempt to show the Earth but the telephoto lense they use will not show any definition. Instead the Earth is shown as a bright blob and MCC are worried they might burn out the TV cameras tube. More interior shots follow, with Bill Anders demonstrating weightlessness with his toothbrush and Jim Lovell wishing his Mother a happy birthday. The video concludes with a resumption of the end of shift briefing that was paused so the TV broadcast could be watched.

NOTE: During the Apollo 8 mission audio was recorded in real time on one track and the other (also live) was the PAO. PAO played back "recorded tape" of the air to ground. This audio is muted as the listener will have already heard that audio on the air-to-ground audio. The PAO will make reference to "playing a tape" but the audio that you next hear is NOT the recorded tape. I hope this makes sense!

Audio is presented in two channels. Headphones are advised.

The video is presented in 16:9 to allow use of photos and captions on the right of the screen. Captions are used to show PAO events.

NOTE -

Orbiter Space Simulator is used to depict events as they were happening in real time, although I do not claim attitudes/spacecraft orientation are correct.

I sourced the Apollo 8 Flight Journal to assist with photo placement and audio editing. I would recommend the viewer using this as an aid whilst listening as it gives great descriptions of the technical details of the flight as it happened and explains, in laymans terms, what is going on.

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #25 on: 04/05/2015 01:32 AM »
Apollo 8 - Hawaii Capcom (Full Mission 10)

Published on Apr 4, 2015
Apollo 8 - Hawaii Capcom ( Full Mission 10)

This video covers the 33-36 hour point in the mission. Lovell and Anders are on a sleep cycle, so CDR Borman takes all the comm traffic. Comm checks are made but a glitch means, at one point, the Hawaii Comm Tech beccomes a temporary Cap Com.

NOTE -

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #26 on: 04/07/2015 12:56 AM »
Apollo 8 - Egg Nog (Full Mission 11)

Published on Apr 6, 2015
Apollo 8 - Egg Nog (Full Mission 11)

This video covers the 36-40 hour point in the mission. During this period the spcecraft is turned into a new attitude for more star/navigation sightings and is then put back into PTC. Lovell and Anders sleep while Borman keeps watch over the systems. During this video the well know exchange reporting that Bill Anders' wife, Val, had been at Charlie Dukes for a Christmas drink (egg nog!) and was looking well, is relayed to the crew.

NOTE -

All Video, photos and audio is courtesy of NASA

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #27 on: 04/11/2015 06:23 AM »
Apollo 8 - Press Briefing (Full Mission 12)

Published on Apr 10, 2015
Apollo 8 - Press Briefing (Full Mission 12)

This video covers the 40-41 hour point in the mission. A press briefing is held at the Johnson Space Centre. This is followed by a brief exchange between MCC and the spacecraft.

NOTE -

Tony De La Rosa

Offline Antilope7724

• Watched Freedom 7 on live TV
  • California
  • Liked: 276
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #28 on: 04/11/2015 01:56 PM »
On Archive.org, over 150 hours of Apollo 8 mission audio and commentary.

Apollo 8 audio
https://archive.org/details/Apollo8
https://archive.org/download/Apollo8

Key to NASA tape archive audio data  on Archive.org - by mission
https://ia902608.us.archive.org/28/items/Apollo8/NASA-Audio-Archive_Digital-Audio-File_Metadata.pdf
« Last Edit: 04/11/2015 02:41 PM by Antilope7724 »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #29 on: 04/18/2015 01:21 AM »
Apollo 8 - Wake Up Sleepy Head (Full Mission 13)

Published on Apr 17, 2015
Apollo 8 - Wake Up Sleepy Head (Full Mission 13)

This video covers the 41-44 hour point in the mission. The crew continue to follow the flight plan, sleep periods end and Flight Director Glynn Lunney has a chat with Jim Lovell about the lunar events to come.

NOTE -

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #30 on: 04/24/2015 07:36 AM »
Apollo 8 - Fogged Up Windows (Full Mission 14)

Published on Apr 23, 2015
Apollo 8 - Fogged Up Windows (Full Mission 14)

This video covers the 45-51 hour point in the mission. Crew conducts more star and moon horizon sighting/navigation tasks, PTC is resumed, Mike Collins reads up the Interstellar News again, an end of shift press conference takes place with Glynn Lunney and Val Anders visits the MOCR. There is also a discussion about the state of the Command Modules windows.

I have added in some phtos taken around this time in the flight, some video that was ommitted earlier of the MOCR and some onboard 16mm film.

NOTE -

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #31 on: 04/28/2015 08:51 PM »
Apollo 8 - Earth TV (Full Mission 15)

Published on Apr 28, 2015
Apollo 8 - Earth TV (Full Mission 15)

This video covers the 51-55 hour point in the mission and contains the 2nd TV broadcast by the crew. Cryo stirs are performed, the spacecraft is oriented for moon navigation experiments and the TV broadcast takes place.

NOTE: The audio on the TV broadcast is from 2 seperate tapes, each different in recording quality. There is a marked difference in the tone and quality of the audio about halfway thru the telecast.

NOTE -

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #32 on: 05/01/2015 08:10 AM »
Apollo 8 - Under the Influence (Full Mission 16)

Published on Apr 30, 2015
lunarmodule5

This video covers the 55-57 hour point of the flight. Going back to the PTC mode after the TV broadcast, the crew are informed that they are now under the moons influence, gravity wise. There follows a press conference from JSC then more communications with the crew. Only 28,000 nautical miles from the moon plans are being made for the mid course correction at the 61 hour point.

NOTE -

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #33 on: 05/18/2015 08:07 AM »
Apollo 8 - MCC-4 (Full Mission 17)

Published on May 17, 2015
Apollo 8 - MCC-4 (Full Mission 17)

This video covers the 58-61 hour point of the flight. The crew exit PTC and prepare for a mid course correction of 2fps using the RCS quads on the CSM. After this is completed the crew return the spacecraft to the PTC attitude and start PTC again. The aim of the MCC-4 burn was to reduce the high point of the intended lunar orbit by 5-7 miles.

NOTE -

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #34 on: 05/23/2015 07:06 AM »
Apollo 8 - Prep for LOI (Full Mission 18)

Published on May 22, 2015
by: lunarmodule5
Apollo 8 - Prep for LOI (Full Mission 17)

This video covers the 61-65 hour point of the flight. After MCC-4 the crew talk to MCC about the upcoming LOI burn and take a scheduled rest period prior to the LOI sequence. A press briefing is held at JSC.

NOTE -

I sourced the Apollo 8 Flight Journal to assist with photo placement and audio editing. I would recommend the viewer using this as an aid whilst listening as it gives great descriptions of the technical details of the flight as it happened and explains, in laymans terms what is going on.

Tony De La Rosa

Offline Ben Hawes

• Portland, Oregon.
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #35 on: 05/26/2015 12:36 PM »
Cool videos!

Offline catdlr

« Reply #36 on: 06/08/2015 07:38 AM »
Apollo 8 - Go For LOI (Full Mission 19)

Published on Jun 7, 2015
Apollo 8 - Go For LOI (Full Mission 19)

This video covers the 65-69 hour point of the flight. The crew prepare for LOI. Procedures for the burn are read up to the crew, along with contingency procedures in case the burn does not go to plan. The crew turn the spcacraft to the LOI burn attitude, then back to PTC atitude. The infamous sequence beginns with Jerry Carrs communication of "Go For LOI", which is followed by re-orienting the spacecraft to the burn attitude, Loss of Signal and finally the LOI burn, which is where we leave the action until the next video.

Note: The audio for this video was extremely difficult to piece together and there are about 4 short tape segments missing from the final edit. This audio does not seem available at present. The audio in the second half of the video (PAO explaining that he is cutting in to the conversation) is the PAO tape, but not the live tape as on the other videos. I have managed to set the sequencing right but what you hear as "live" air-to-ground is the recorded PAO tape, not the live tape. At other points you will be able to tell when PAO is letting the live stream go out. You will also notice the "clipping" on the voice tapes, which is what happened when the sequences were played back by the PAO and the gaps were cut out. Although this isnt the best presentation of the events, it is the best I could do.

Note: For the LOS sequences I have added in some of the on-board voice tapes.

NOTE -

I sourced the Apollo 8 Flight Journal to assist with photo placement and audio editing. I would recommend the viewer using this as an aid whilst listening as it gives great descriptions of the technical details of the flight as it happened and explains, in laymans terms what is going on.

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #37 on: 06/14/2015 04:08 AM »
Apollo 8 - The 1st Lunar Orbit (Full Mission 20)

Published on Jun 13, 2015
Apollo 8 - The 1st Lunar Orbit (Full Mission 20)

This video covers the 69-71 hour point of the flight. Following the LOI burn the crew re-orient the spacecraft 180 degrees to reaquire radio communications with Houston. Once AOS happens the crew give burn reports and the first detailed description of the lunar surface. The video ends at LOS at the end of the first orbit

Note: The audio for this video was extremely difficult to piece together. The audio available is the PAO tape, which means that although the broadcast, in this case, is "live", when PAO talks he cuts out the Air-to-Ground. For instance the first calls to Apollo 8 at AOS by Capcom Jerry Carr are not heard on this tape. Therefore I have added in the audio that was recorded at the Honeysuckle site in Australia which has that audio in. I also added in the crew onboard tapes recording just after AOS as it provides continuity to what was happening.

I have added in the 16mm film and photos taken at this time in the mission. The 16mm film is included and played at a speed of 1 frame per second. It was recorded this way to allow as much coverage from orbit with limited film available. It is usually shown at 25 frames a second, to give the impression of flying smoothly over the surface. I thought it was important to present it here as it was taken, to preserve the historic record.

Audio is presented in two channels at some points. Headphones are advised.

NOTE -

I sourced the Apollo 8 Flight Journal to assist with photo placement and audio editing. I would recommend the viewer using this as an aid whilst listening as it gives great descriptions of the technical details of the flight as it happened and explains, in layman's terms what is going on.

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #38 on: 06/20/2015 04:10 PM »
Apollo 8 - Lunar TV (Full Mission 21)

Published on Jun 20, 2015
Apollo 8 - Lunar TV (Full Mission 21)

This video covers the second orbit and 71-73 hour point of the flight. Sequences start with the photography carried out during orbit 2. After AOS a TV broadcast is made by the crew. After which there are conversations with reference to the upcoming LOI-2 burn, scheduled after LOS.

I have added in the 16mm film and photos taken at this time in the mission. The 16mm film is included and played at a speed of 2 frame per second. It was recorded at 1fps but to ensure continuity (this is the film taken on the 2nd orbit) it is played at double speed. I have also shown it this way to allow as much coverage from orbit with limited film available. It is usually shown at 25 frames a second, to give the impression of flying smoothly over the surface. I thought it was important to present it here as it was taken, to preserve the historic record.

NOTE -

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #39 on: 06/29/2015 12:46 AM »
Apollo 8 - Red Rose (Full Mission 22)

Published on Jun 28, 2015
Apollo 8 - Red Rose (Full Mission 22)

This video covers the second orbit and 73-75 hour point of the flight. The crew have just performed the LOI-2 burn which placed the spacecraft in a near circular 60 mile orbit. The comm is quieter on this 3rd orbit pass. The crew continue to take pictures and 16mm video. Frank Borman was supposed to lay-read at his church this Christmas Eve but points out he cannot make it - Instead he reads a bible passage to Red Rose (a member of his church and a MCC engineer who Mike Collins has spotted in MCC) and the rest of his church (and the world). There is a press conference at JSC and during the press conference LOS occurs.

I have added in the 16mm film and photos taken at this time in the mission. There are 100s of photographs taken by Bill Anders on this video. They are shown in sequence taken.

The video is presented in 16:9 to allow use of photos and captions on the right of the screen. Captions are used to show PAO and other events.

NOTE -

Tony De La Rosa

Tags: